Thread: A look at the Edmonton Oilers

I...am your father.

Default A look at the Edmonton Oilers

From my THN article today

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/fa...season-report/

Edmonton Oilers
    Pending UFAs – Ryan Smyth (retired), Ryan Jones, Mark Fraser, Anton Belov (signed with KHL team), Denis Grebeshkov, Ben Eager, Taylor Fedun
    Pending RFAs – Roman Horak, Richard Bachman, Tyler Pitlick, Anton Lander, Justin Schultz, Philip Larsen, Jeff Petry, Luke Gazdic

Looking to add – The Oilers are in desperate need of size and character up front, as well as size and grit on the blue line. They could also use some experience between the pipes, but it’s looking as if they will roll with the tandem of Ben Scrivens and Viktor Fasth. It’s an underrated tandem that could surprise, but Fasth has struggled with injuries over the past year and if his proneness to injury remains, the Oilers will be in trouble.
    The biggest and/or toughest players available on the market this summer include Rangers’ forward Brian Boyle and Penguins’ rearguard Brooks Orpik. Other players who fit the mold include: future Hall of Famer Jarome Iginla, as well as Ryan Callahan, Dustin Penner, Steve Downie, Brenden Morrow, Steve Ott and Shawn Thornton. I’d be shocked if they stuck it to their rivals by landing Iginla, and nearly as shocked if they for some reason bring back Penner, but any of the other players are viable options.

Ready for full-time – I doubt the Oilers graduate any forwards to the big club, given the youth that is already there. But Mark Arcobello signed a one-way contract for next season so he has the inside track. He could be very fantasy relevant if Sam Gagner is either traded or (once again) injured. Arcobello had 10 points in the first 10 games of last season when Gagner was sidelined.
    On defense there are several candidates. Martin Marincin is already on the team – after all, he played the last 44 games for the Oilers and looked good in most of them. But 24-year-old Philip Larsen was up and down all season long and still managed nine assists in 30 games for the big club. His upside is that he’s a second-pairing/second power play unit defenseman. As a restricted free agent he’ll be looking for a one-way deal that the Oilers may not give him.
    The gem of the Oilers’ prospects is 6-foot-4 defenseman Darnell Nurse. Last year’s seventh overall pick is everything this team needs on the back end – but the Oilers have (hopefully) learned a lesson on rushing prospects and may elect to keep Nurse out of the NHL for another year. Still, he’ll get a long look in training camp and may not give them a choice.

Fantasy Outlook - Edmonton has been a team that has excited poolies for the better part of four years now. The problem is, they’ve been “almost there” for the last two, and fantasy owners aren’t exactly legendary for their patience. If the potential studs on this team ever reach said potential, the demand for Oilers players will soar. But in the meantime, poolies are slipping off the bandwagon. Fantasy Grade: B- (last year was A)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: A look at the Edmonton Oilers

Great post, as usual Dobbs.

Seldom, if ever, find a reason to disagree with you, but the 1 place I would question is the identification of Brendan Morrow as a viable option for the Oilers. IMHO, he has been inured or played hurt for the past 2 - 3 seasons (including the 1 where he auditioned for the Penguins), and his offense has really tailed off, therefore, I don't think he is a viable option at all. Ott, Downie, Callahan, S Thornton, for sure.

Regardless, as I said, great post.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Good read.

Hope not to see any of those UFAs return to EDM at any point. Think MacTavish obviously needs to extend Schultz and I'm sure Petry, Pitlick and Gazdic get long looks as well. Be interesting to see if Schultz gets a bridge contract, or is re-signed long-term. Subban and Kadri are two of the posterguys for bridge contracts, so it'd make sense if Schultz was signed to one as well. Would probably help if a better on-ice leader was brought in to help guys like Schultz, Marincin, Klefbom and (eventually) Gernat and Nurse.

I'm not big on Larsen or Petry at all. Larsen is a defensive liability and Petry is beyond frustrating. Supposedly a top-four guy, but he continually makes fundamental mistakes. Plays really soft too. With his size, he should be using it far more effectively.

Picked up Arcobello in the midst of his point streak and figure he'll get a shot in a prolonged offensive opportunity at some point. Smaller guy, but he had 78 hits in 41 games played last season. Also picked up Gazdic and he was useful for a bit. Don't think he lost a fight all season and chipped in with 103 hits. Would love to see him brought back as the Oilers desperately need him at his role.

Targeting Boyle when free agency kicks off would make sense of EDM. Really big, physical, face-off guy who kills penalties and takes the load off Gordon. Love to hate Ott, but he's effective at what he does. Wouldn't want to see Penner or Downie in EDM - too much indifference on Penner's part and Downie is a loose cannon.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post

Seldom, if ever, find a reason to disagree with you, but the 1 place I would question is the identification of Brendan Morrow as a viable option for the Oilers. IMHO, he has been inured or played hurt for the past 2 - 3 seasons (including the 1 where he auditioned for the Penguins), and his offense has really tailed off, therefore, I don't think he is a viable option at all. Ott, Downie, Callahan, S Thornton, for sure.

the oilers would be stupid if they signed morrow for his offense. i would assume he would be a smyth replacement, veteran presence that could be inserted on pp2 when a body was needed.

pity that oilers need to overpay guys to sign there. wouldn't be surprised to see orpik at 5M+ if they really wanted him bad enough.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by suvojitde View Post

Thank you

Completely agree - but for some reason, NHL GM's do some unfathomable things, and they give a lot more leeway and trust in proven players when the common fan saw them ride off into the sunset long ago
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

Great stuff, wonder if they'll try and move Gagner, I believe his NTC for 2014-15 kicks in July 1?