Thread: Semin or Gaborik?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Semin or Gaborik?

Watching Gaborik score 2 goals against Anaheim over the weekend gave me a chance to reminiscence about the last 10 years of his career. There hasn’t been a more exhilarating (or downright frustrating) fantasy player to have on your squad.

With all the flashes of brilliance and 40 goal seasons there have been injuries and seemingly inconsistent play. He’s far from alone in this group. The guys that we always want a bit more from. They’ve displayed top 10 ability in the past, yet never for an extended period.

Today I want to compare Gaborik and Semin. Neither is a 24-year-old entering his prime. Both are now ageing wingers who no longer promise years upon years of elite goal and shot totals. Even so, you’ll have a hard time finding two players with more upside in the early-mid rounds. Selecting one of these two can often result in a pool championship, or, sadly, a trip to the waiver wire in late December when Gaborik goes under the knife for hip surgery.

If you’re drafting a team for the next 3 years, which way do you lean, Semin or Gaborik?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Semin or Gaborik?

Although you could argue that flipping the coin is the best way to decide I would go with..................................Semin. There are 3 reasons for this. The first is I really think that Semin and E. Staal have good chemistry and will both have a bounce back year next year. The second is Semin is signed long-term, which pretty much guarantee's he will continue to play alongside E. Staal, whereas Gaborik is a UFA and there is no guarantee LA will resign him. The third is that I think Semin is actually a lower injury risk than Gaborik (if that is even possible).

Any way you look at it I think both are worth a mid-round flyer but you aren't going to know if you are going to be getting the superstar version or the underachieving Band-Aid version of either player until the season begins.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Is there a third option I can pick?
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Superstar

For thew next 3 years I would take Semin, because he is guaranteed to line up with Staal, and I think they will have a bounce back year next year. Gabs too much of a band aid boy and I have rode that rollercoaster before.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Had Semin to start last season. Managed to trade Semin for Gaborik mid season. Neither really had any impact or rather positive impact while on my team. I don't know why I though gabby would amount to anything more on my team. Anyway...I just traded gabby back to the guy I traded Semin to. I got Rielly. So my 2nd place team moves on with Rielly and his 3rd place team is left with Semin and Gabby. Lol. My point...I'd pick either....... To be on anyone else's team but mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    Although you could argue that flipping the coin is the best way to decide I would go with..................................Semin. There are 3 reasons for this. The first is I really think that Semin and E. Staal have good chemistry and will both have a bounce back year next year. The second is Semin is signed long-term, which pretty much guarantee's he will continue to play alongside E. Staal, whereas Gaborik is a UFA and there is no guarantee LA will resign him. The third is that I think Semin is actually a lower injury risk than Gaborik (if that is even possible).

Any way you look at it I think both are worth a mid-round flyer but you aren't going to know if you are going to be getting the superstar version or the underachieving Band-Aid version of either player until the season begins.
    I actually considered the "coin flip" methodology haha

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    Is there a third option I can pick?
    In the poll question for my blog I had a 3rd option - I am forbidden from selecting either

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    For thew next 3 years I would take Semin, because he is guaranteed to line up with Staal, and I think they will have a bounce back year next year. Gabs too much of a band aid boy and I have rode that rollercoaster before.
    I might agree. Sometimes we forget that Semin was actually a point per game in the lockout year.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Had Semin to start last season. Managed to trade Semin for Gaborik mid season. Neither really had any impact or rather positive impact while on my team. I don't know why I though gabby would amount to anything more on my team. Anyway...I just traded gabby back to the guy I traded Semin to. I got Rielly. So my 2nd place team moves on with Rielly and his 3rd place team is left with Semin and Gabby. Lol. My point...I'd pick either....... To be on anyone else's team but mine.
    This seems to be a popular opinion. I guess many have been burned before
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Padawan

I think I have a better breakdown of the meaning of life than to decide between these two.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    I think I have a better breakdown of the meaning of life than to decide between these two.
    I'm trying to read this, yet that awesome picture of a rather gentlemanly lion is distracting me. Love it.