Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Who's the next Big D Man?

Administrator

Default Re: Who's the next Big D Man?

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    There isn't a Karlsson on the horizon, to my knowledge.
    There are some good upcoming young D-men, listed above...
    But realistically - just because there has been a Karlsson doesn't mean that another one is coming any time soon.
    This is what I was going to say. The next Karlsson might not even be able to tie his own laces yet.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    This is what I was going to say. The next Karlsson might not even be able to tie his own laces yet.
    Probably so, and it's derby day, so I'm lucky to type... But if I was to put down a bet, it would be on that Trouba kid.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    Probably so, and it's derby day, so I'm lucky to type... But if I was to put down a bet, it would be on that Trouba kid.

he seems to be too good defensively to ever be a karlsson.

it will probably be some guy none of us expects, so no point busting your balls looking for him.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    he seems to be too good defensively to ever be a karlsson.

it will probably be some guy none of us expects, so no point busting your balls looking for him.
    Oh I know, but he's already on my team, so now it's just hope. I can say from watching him, he just seems to know when to jump in at the right time, and he has some really long carry in's that just look crazy smooth and natural. No one base a trade on this slightly intoxicated ramble, cause I'm a homer on him.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

One guy that hasn't been mentioned that could potentially be in the discussion is Eric Gelinas. Just look at his stats with the limited games / ice time he had this year. I think he could be a real sleeper if he improves his defensive game and starts getting top pairing ice time.
    10 Team Keeper League, 15 Keepers (max 2 goalies), 10 prospects, Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 3 Utility, 4D, 2G

Stats: G, A, P, +/-, PIMS, SOG, STP; W, SO, SV%, GAA

C: MacKinnon, Scheifele, Larkin, Pavelski (RW)
    LW Panarin, Ehlers , Ovechkin, Verhaeghe (C), Beauvillier, Killorn
    RW: Kucherov, Pastrnak, Wheeler, Mangiapane (LW)
    D: Makar, Hughes, Krug; Pietrangelo, Schmidt, Andersson, Gostibehere
    G: Vasilevskiy, Hellebuyck, Bobrovsky

Prospects: Sorokin (G), Askarov (G), Raymond (LW), Kaliyev (RW), Perfetti (RW), Norris (C), Kaprizov (LW), Hayton (C), Brannstrom (D), Boqvist (D), Clarke (D)

Dobber Sports Stud

T. Barrie?
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Oakville Squires View Post
    One guy that hasn't been mentioned that could potentially be in the discussion is Eric Gelinas. Just look at his stats with the limited games / ice time he had this year. I think he could be a real sleeper if he improves his defensive game and starts getting top pairing ice time.
    This is exactly what I was going to say. 6'4 and reminds a lot of people of Chris Pronger when he skates. Obviously won't ever be him, but Gelinas will get tons of PP and offensive chances with New Jersey since they really don't have anyone else and Zidlicky's career is coming to an end.

Trouba and Reilly both seem to have very high potential, I would take a chance on them within the next 2 years or sooner. Hampus Lindholm, Seth Jones, Maatta, and Krug are also there.

Dobber Sports Deity

There are a lot of good young defencemen out there and coming through, but finding a 65-70pt defenceman is hard to do and doesn't come around too often. No offense to those who love Trouba, but he is not a 65-70pt defenceman. Same for Morgan Rielly, Hamilton or pretty much any other Dman that we are familiar with today.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    There are a lot of good young defencemen out there and coming through, but finding a 65-70pt defenceman is hard to do and doesn't come around too often. No offense to those who love Trouba, but he is not a 65-70pt defenceman. Same for Morgan Rielly, Hamilton or pretty much any other Dman that we are familiar with today.
    Interesting. And you may well be correct. What is it about trouba and rielly's game that suggest to you that they are not 60 pt potential D men? And was there something about karlsson a game that suggested to you that he would at the same stage?

Dobber Sports Deity

Trouba is more of a physical style Dman with some offensive prowess. Not really a recipe for a 70pt Dman. Rielly has a better shot of getting close to 60 simply because of his style. It's a different style then Trouba. The issue with Rielly is he is not the main guy in Toronto, and as long as Phaneuf is there making the big bucks, he will still be "the man" on the PP for the Leafs.

Karlsson is the man in Ottawa. They focus their offense (especially on the PP) through him, much like the way Philly does with Giroux. They want the puck on his stick. He gets the points because he touches the puck in offensive situations.

There are so few teams that run their offense through a Dman like Ottawa does. Karlsson is a special player but he is also setup to be successful due to Ottawas system. I don't see that in Winnipeg with Trouba and right now, I sure don't see that in Toronto.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Surprised no one has mentioned Cody Ceci. PPG player his last 3 season with the 67's. Booming shot from the point and will likely (hopefully for me as an owner) be on the 1st PP unit alongside Karlsson down the road. I would definitely keep an eye on this kid.

Dobber Sports Ace

I'ts unlikely you'll find the next Karlsson among any active players now. The most likely guys to reach high end PMD potential are going to already be owend and locked up pretty tight. The guys like Hamilton, Rielly and probably Barrie now.

You gotta start looking at future drafts.

It's still really but 2015 might hold some pretty high end potential dman.

Most will likely know about Noah Hanifin already, he had a very succesful U18 recently.

But Jeremy Roy and Rasmus Andersson are two other guys to look at. Roy had a very good Q rookie season with 44 points in 64 games, albeit with a minus 29 rating (for Sherbrooke though).

Rasmus Andersson is playing in Allsvenskan already as a 17 year old. He's 6 feet and 215 already.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson

Dobber Sports Stud

Yeah there isn't really anybody like Karlsson around, IMO. Lots of good young defencemen, but they usually take time to get their game. And even if they have all the tools to do so, they may choose to be more defence minded, something like Doughty, which is what I think a lot of guys will opt for, like Trouba, etc.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

i feel Shayne Gostisbehere will be soemthing special, he should also run the show for the flyers as there top young dman.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Trouba is more of a physical style Dman with some offensive prowess. Not really a recipe for a 70pt Dman. Rielly has a better shot of getting close to 60 simply because of his style. It's a different style then Trouba. The issue with Rielly is he is not the main guy in Toronto, and as long as Phaneuf is there making the big bucks, he will still be "the man" on the PP for the Leafs.

Karlsson is the man in Ottawa. They focus their offense (especially on the PP) through him, much like the way Philly does with Giroux. They want the puck on his stick. He gets the points because he touches the puck in offensive situations.

There are so few teams that run their offense through a Dman like Ottawa does. Karlsson is a special player but he is also setup to be successful due to Ottawas system. I don't see that in Winnipeg with Trouba and right now, I sure don't see that in Toronto.
    Yup. This is what I thought aswell. Very much agree with trouba...but Rielly...we may soon see a yandle / OEL combo soon with Phaneuf and Rielly. I think I see Rielly excelling offensively from the blue line over Trouba.