Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Who's the next Big D Man?

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Who's the next Big D Man?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Yeah, I don't buy the whole Toronto pressure thing as an absolute either. Big market pressure is too burdensome for the weak - the strong survive and persevere. Kessel is an example, JVR is another. Schenn was mishandled from the beginning and that could have happened in any city. Since he's been on the Flyers, Schenn's been just "ok" as well, he's just not a great player, and nothing close to the "Adam Foote" comparisons that labelled him on draft day.

Toronto is not superstar kryptonite by any means. If Erik Karlsson or Sidney Crosby were traded to Toronto tomorrow they would still be 75 and 120 point threats. If Rielly doesn't end up a superstar and pans out to be a 40 point player it will be his fault, not the Leafs.

Hate to jump in and re-divert this thread, but this has less to do with what current Leafs players do and more with what potential Leafs players (ie- Free Agents, etc) do.

You're fooling yourself if you think the pressure in Toronto, the complete lack of privacy, etc, doesn't keep certain free agents from signing in TO. Same with other Canadian cities, but to a much lesser degree.
    Once a player is there (via draft/trade), some deal with it well and some don't.

It's amazing how every free agency the rest of us in Canada have to deal with the "Oh, he's from Toronto, he'll want to sign with the Leafs"..and then basically no one does. This, absolutely, is a factor for the Leafs to deal with when it comes to adding players. Not everyone loves having 15 media members questioning their every move.

As for my hopeful DMen - so much is situational. So I'm going with Barrie and Schultz. I know the bloom is off of the latter a bit, but he's got skills and is still the main offensive guy there until the Oil make a move.

Dobber Sports Stud

Interesting thread

I think to a signficant degree the situation with each NHL franchise dovetails with the available talent on the blueline plus the coach's decision to put the player out there all form a perfect storm. Kind of like when Dan Boyle went from the Panthers to the Lightning.

Whomever is going to run the show from the blueline in San Jose for the next year or three should put up some very nice numbers. Its not going to be Dan Boyle.

I think Tyler Myers gets another kick at the can, perhaps after a trade. He is probably not a popular pick but I haven't seen his name listed and the kid is still growing. 9 goals on only 99 shots this year and many have written him off. Cap leagues obviously there are issues
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Ace

6 pages of D conversation and unless I missed it, no mention of Mark Giordano! He has the keys to run the D (and any offense from the D) for that team as he pleases, as far as I can see.
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    Just landed Rielly for Gaborik.

I'm excited for the move considering Gabby wasn't a keeper for me. I really like how my 4 D look going into next season. And with Karlsson, OEL and Burns...I think I have the extra oomph to allow to allow for some Growth in Rielly.

Having said all that...I do hate owning leafs! So maybe I've doomed Rielly having acquired him. if SO...I appologize now!
    I know its off topic, so apologies....

Reilly for Gaborik doesn't seem like a great deal for me. Gaborik is a real threat for 40 goals. Yes, he gets injured a lot, but Reilly is only a prospect. Gaborik is a threat for 40 goals today. I dont get that deal. I think Gaborik is a keeper ahead of Reilly or Kuznetsov.

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch?

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by hockeypoolfanatic View Post
    Surprised no one has mentioned Cody Ceci. PPG player his last 3 season with the 67's. Booming shot from the point and will likely (hopefully for me as an owner) be on the 1st PP unit alongside Karlsson down the road. I would definitely keep an eye on this kid.
    I am hard pressed to disagree with many of the guys previously mentioned. I particularly like Rielly, Hamilton, Trouba & Barrie. Besides Barrie, though, these other three guys were all drafted before the 10th position in their respective drafts, but I agree with hockeypoolfanatic, and mention Karlsson's own teammate, Cody Ceci. He has lots of potential and decent offensive numbers to boot. He had 170 points in 265 games at the Junior level, and scored at an even more impressive .70ppg in 30 games at the AHL level. And when was he drafted...15th overall (in 2012) by Ottawa just like Karlsson. Coincidence...I think not!!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I am hard pressed to disagree with many of the guys previously mentioned. I particularly like Rielly, Hamilton, Trouba & Barrie. Besides Barrie, though, these other three guys were all drafted before the 10th position in their respective drafts, but I agree with hockeypoolfanatic, and mention Karlsson's own teammate, Cody Ceci. He has lots of potential and decent offensive numbers to boot. He had 170 points in 265 games at the Junior level, and scored at an even more impressive .70ppg in 30 games at the AHL level. And when was he drafted...15th overall (in 2012) by Ottawa just like Karlsson. Coincidence...I think not!!
    I'll buy Trouba but I have a hard time categorizing Ceci and Barrie on the same level. Just realized that all three are in your sig, no chance there might be some tire pumping going on ?

Dobber Sports Master

To quote Tim Thomas: "“I did not realize it was my job to pump his tires.” LOL!!! As it is, I may have to give up on Ceci to keep all three of my goalies who I think have lots of potential to be great and/or make great trade bait for someone who may over value a much hyped guy like John Gibson!!

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Not enough mention given to Seth Jones here.......guy should be mentioned in most posts, and I've only seen him a few times. If this is any indication of his value in leagues right now, I say grab him and enjoy the next 15 years
    Comish Dynasty

24 Team / 3 Tier Roto League
    CAP = $1200
    G.A.+/-.PIM.STP.SOG.BS.HITS
    W.GAA.SV%.SV

Tier 1
    C - Scheifele, Stamkos, Eichel, Komarov, D.Strome
    LW - Gaudreau, Palat, Schenn, Trocheck, Domi, Vatrano
    RW - Forsberg, T.Wilson, Clutterbuck, Shaw, Nichoshkin
    D - PK, OEL, Trouba, Jones, Martinez, Myers, Despres, Beauchemin, Pouiliot,
    G - Allen, Elliott, Gibson

Cap = $1116

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Atomic Wedgy View Post
    I know its off topic, so apologies....

Reilly for Gaborik doesn't seem like a great deal for me. Gaborik is a real threat for 40 goals. Yes, he gets injured a lot, but Reilly is only a prospect. Gaborik is a threat for 40 goals today. I dont get that deal. I think Gaborik is a keeper ahead of Reilly or Kuznetsov.

Maybe I'm just old and out of touch?
    thanks Wedge.

This deal had less to do with me valuing Rielly more than Gaborik , but admittedly had more to do with attainin a potential keeper for a guy I likely wasn't. all comes down to how Gaborik is valued. I see him as a declining asset when Healthy, which he rarely is. If it weren't for his recent playoff surge which has more to do with LA as a whole than Gaborik himself IMO...I don't think he turns as many heads.

Ultimately, I he was slipping down my list of keepers based on how I wanted to structure my team...and that includes falling behind Kuznetsov and even Pomminville. Does he have the skill and potential to once again pot 40 goals and ppg? Sure. But I feel that the stars would all have to align...and as we do t know where he's gunna land, I preferred moving a dropable asset for a potential 4th keeper D as I wait and see on Ehrhoff. I like taking a shot on young. Kuz. More exciting to me.

Thanks for chiming In though.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

given the always unknown factor of Mike Green and new management headed I to Washington...how does the group feel about young Carlson's chances of breaking out from the Blue Line in Washington?

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I love the Gaborik for Rielly deal!! Gaborik is always going to be a huge injury risk.. I also feel there is no way Gaborik can keep up his scoring pace like he is in the playoffs right now.. I also have a good feeling that Rielly is worth the risk, as he looks to be on the right path towards huge points down the road..

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    To quote Tim Thomas: "“I did not realize it was my job to pump his tires.” LOL!!! As it is, I may have to give up on Ceci to keep all three of my goalies who I think have lots of potential to be great and/or make great trade bait for someone who may over value a much hyped guy like John Gibson!!
    So you have 1 locked in starter with Lack? ESH...I'd get movng on your goalie magic!

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    I love the Gaborik for Rielly deal!! Gaborik is always going to be a huge injury risk.. I also feel there is no way Gaborik can keep up his scoring pace like he is in the playoffs right now.. I also have a good feeling that Rielly is worth the risk, as he looks to be on the right path towards huge points down the road..
    thanks Zorro. Pretty sure you sounded in on my endless polling to support that move before it was made!

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    thanks Zorro. Pretty sure you sounded in on my endless polling to support that move before it was made!
    Question havana, why does your league stat cats give out sooooooo many points?? I was checking that out and that is like something I have never seen before.. A 30 win, 5 shutout goalie nets you 525 points.. Skaters stats are even higher..

I'm just curious to why you guys throw around such high point totals??

Dobber Sports Stud

i haven't seen anyone mention the real future number 1 dman, seth jones. this is probably the last time you'll be able to acquire him. generally speaking, the best time to acquire future superstars is a year after they were drafted - after the draft everyone is still talking about their potential, but a season later, either they were sent back to juniors so owners kinda forget about their potential, or they just finished their rookie season, which never (especially for a dman) lives up to expectations. i just did it myself with jonathan drouin.
    other than jones, the other guy that i'd be going crazy over right now (if i didn't own him already, which i do, much like jones) is dougie hamilton. next year is gonna be huge for him. i would trade krug if i had him (i did, and i did). i think that hamilton is gonna eat away at a lot of what he was doing (pp, getting more offensive chances) as soon as next year.
    i also think trouba belongs in that group, but he'll suffer fantasy wise from being on the jets.
    a cheaper option is hampus lindholm. dude is gonna be a stud, and he'll probably come considerably cheaper than those other guys, even though there's some reasoning to put him above trouba.