Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: A look at the Florida Panthers

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: A look at the Florida Panthers

I think they have to work on building a culture of accountability, playing in top shape/conditioning and never taking a shift off. Tortarella is a perfect fit as he brings all those things and will hopefully install a defensive system of reducing shots and hustling on the backcheck. This also dovetails nicely with Callahan and his absurd contract demands, Panthers have the money and need the leadership.

Vrbata struck me as kind of lost in Tampa before re-discovering himself in PHX. I think he takes the money and stays there, but obviously I could be wrong. Also if as I am stating that Torts comes to town I don't think the two will mix very well. Guys who excel while under the heat and shouting of coach will vastly improve Florida's record next season.

Brian Gionta
    Dave Bolland
    Steve Ott
    Steve Downie comes to mind
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Expert

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    I think they have to work on building a culture of accountability, playing in top shape/conditioning and never taking a shift off. Tortarella is a perfect fit as he brings all those things and will hopefully install a defensive system of reducing shots and hustling on the backcheck. This also dovetails nicely with Callahan and his absurd contract demands, Panthers have the money and need the leadership.

Vrbata struck me as kind of lost in Tampa before re-discovering himself in PHX. I think he takes the money and stays there, but obviously I could be wrong. Also if as I am stating that Torts comes to town I don't think the two will mix very well. Guys who excel while under the heat and shouting of coach will vastly improve Florida's record next season.

Brian Gionta
    Dave Bolland
    Steve Ott
    Steve Downie comes to mind
    As a fan those names make me wanna puke. Bolland wants way to much money to be a 3rd line C. Ott maybe. Downie is no good option for a top 6 guy. Maybe huge maybe a short term contract for Gionta if we do not find other wingers. But if those are the names Viola/Tallon adds over the offseason there will be a riot since this would mean that all they told the fans over the last year was flat out lies.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    As a fan those names make me wanna puke. Bolland wants way to much money to be a 3rd line C. Ott maybe. Downie is no good option for a top 6 guy. Maybe huge maybe a short term contract for Gionta if we do not find other wingers. But if those are the names Viola/Tallon adds over the offseason there will be a riot since this would mean that all they told the fans over the last year was flat out lies.
    I undertstand where you are coming from, but from where I sit there is a distinct difference between Panther fans feelings and relatively unbiased assessment of the situation. What ownership says and what they do ain't necessarily so...

Bolland would not be getting 3rd line center ice time for Florida, otherwise he probably doesn't sign there right ? Callahan's contract demands are also far in excess of his "alleged" value.

What kind of top line UFA forward is Florida going to attract ? Vanek ? Iginla ? Moulson ? Do you think they are realistically going to sign a Panthers contract ?

I can see why you are stating names like Vrbata but I don't think he wants to come to back to Florida if PHX is offering anywhere near similar terms.

Legwand, Cammalleri, Hemsky, Michalek ?

I chose the names of Gionta, Bolland, Ott and Downie because they compete on every shift. Florida can offer them ice time and a chance to build something.

Or perhaps go with the Grabovski, Stempniak and Pouliot's of the league ?

the culture of the club would dramatically change with the list I provided. The wins won't improve but guys like Barkov, Huberdeau and Bjugstad will certainly know how to compete for every centimeter of ice. It sounds like JH didn't seem to meet that criteria last season no ?

Difference of opinion... I can certainly tell you that I am not hoping that Florida stinks as bad as they did this past season. On the other hand to expect Viola to come in and right the ship in what is essentially 1 season sounds very unrealistic to me.

all the best from rainy Japan
    dp
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.