Thread: Your worst trade ever

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Your worst trade ever

I'll lay it out there...

I once traded Sharp, Gaborik, Sharp, Rask and picks

for just Kovalchuk

(and whatever guys I got off the waiver wire).

It was probably 5 years ago. I was young, impressionable, and Kovalchuk did that fancy thing with his wrists when he stick handled (I know, not the best basis for an evaluation).

It was brutal, and ruined my team for over a year. What's your worst trade of all time?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Re: Your worst trade ever

Like any good player, I seem able to quickly forget my stupid mistakes!
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Guru

Traded Duncan Keith for Steve Mason. This was right before Keith won his first Norris, and the Mason fell off the wagon.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Initiate

Going back through my trades in the league I have been in the longest. Some great, some bad, some that looked bad a year after I made them look good, or like a complete wash now. The two that are breaking my heart though, as I struggle along with Miller, Mason and Pavelec in goal, are Bobrovsky for a 5th, and Scrivens for a 5th. Neither were established starters when I moved them, but shit, a bit of patience with those two would have really helped out my situation now.

Stewart+Gagner+Horvat+2015 1st for Nash, who I ended up dumping for little more than a 2014 1st at the deadline because I needed him the hell off my roster heading into the playoffs was a spectacularly bad one as well.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Oh wait, I also got Brodeur in that Nash deal. I bought into the early season hype about how he was still getting the majority of starts, and wasn't that bad. I didn't have Mason at the time, just Pavs and Buffalo Miller, so I was willing to take on just about anything that could strap on pads and stay awake for 60 minutes.

Dobber Sports Master

Hahahaha I love these threads and every time I post the same one: Bobby Ryan and Zach Bogosian and a 3rd round pick for Ales Hemsky and a 3rd round pick.

Mind you, Bogosian was a prospect and Ryan was in the AHL at the time and had been called up that year and Hemsky was ringing off over a pt per game and then, like if it was overnight... it all tumbled. Hemsky got hurt that year and was never the same again.. Ryan, well, became pretty good. I ended up being sorta right about Bogosian (pts only league) and the 3rd round pick ended up being Goligoski while the shipped off 3rd rounder became Edler (let's call that a wash), but man do I still want that one back. Big face palm.. That's the worst one.

Weird turn of events that Ryan and Hemsky play for the same team now.... weird....
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Quote Originally Posted by austeane View Post
    Like any good player, I seem able to quickly forget my stupid mistakes!
    Veteran move, I like it. Take it one game at a time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Traded Duncan Keith for Steve Mason. This was right before Keith won his first Norris, and the Mason fell off the wagon.
    Ouch. I feel for you though, there was so much media attention to Mason around that time as the NEXT one
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Going back through my trades in the league I have been in the longest. Some great, some bad, some that looked bad a year after I made them look good, or like a complete wash now. The two that are breaking my heart though, as I struggle along with Miller, Mason and Pavelec in goal, are Bobrovsky for a 5th, and Scrivens for a 5th. Neither were established starters when I moved them, but shit, a bit of patience with those two would have really helped out my situation now.

Stewart+Gagner+Horvat+2015 1st for Nash, who I ended up dumping for little more than a 2014 1st at the deadline because I needed him the hell off my roster heading into the playoffs was a spectacularly bad one as well.
    Nash is an interesting case. I was surprised how quickly everyone soured on him. That was a brutal concussion to start the year and he wasn't the same. Lately though (and more importantly long term) he has been solid

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Hahahaha I love these threads and every time I post the same one: Bobby Ryan and Zach Bogosian and a 3rd round pick for Ales Hemsky and a 3rd round pick.

Mind you, Bogosian was a prospect and Ryan was in the AHL at the time and had been called up that year and Hemsky was ringing off over a pt per game and then, like if it was overnight... it all tumbled. Hemsky got hurt that year and was never the same again.. Ryan, well, became pretty good. I ended up being sorta right about Bogosian (pts only league) and the 3rd round pick ended up being Goligoski while the shipped off 3rd rounder became Edler (let's call that a wash), but man do I still want that one back. Big face palm.. That's the worst one.

Weird turn of events that Ryan and Hemsky play for the same team now.... weird....
    I bought into the Bogosian hype as well. 5 years ago people were saying the same things about him that they are about Trouba right now. While Bogo is a fantastic "real life" D-man he's far below what we had in mind fantasy-wise

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Veteran move, I like it. Take it one game at a time

- - - Updated - - -

Ouch. I feel for you though, there was so much media attention to Mason around that time as the NEXT one

My brother drafted Steve Mason that year ahead of..wait for it................

John Tavares.

ouch!

And then he traded me Mason this year for Boedker. lol. Buy high sell low! Still, though, who knew!
    Blades of Steel

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    I bought into the Bogosian hype as well. 5 years ago people were saying the same things about him that they are about Trouba right now. While Bogo is a fantastic "real life" D-man he's far below what we had in mind fantasy-wise
    Indeed. Incredible physical specimen but was rushed and got hurt a lot early on.. Also, I think he's one of those players whose physical/athletic attributes helped him produce at the junior level but his hockey IQ wasn't at the level of those offensive stats. Production was more due to physical dominance of his peers instead of having more offensive talent. Still a solid rearguard as you say, but not Drew Doughty lol. Damn. Oh well.
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Master

I have to add.. Literally 3 weeks after that trade, I joined the forums at Dobber hockey. This community would have stopped me from making that deal maybe lol. Such is life..
    Blades of Steel

Saros, Shesterkin