Thread: Clippers done?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Clippers done?

I personally don't even watch basketball that much, but does anyone think this Donald Sterling has essentially ended the Clippers season? They looked very uninspired tonight and it's gotta be near impossible to rally from this.

Administrator

Default Re: Clippers done?

That will certainly be the storyline if they do eventually lose here. Personally, I'd say they pull out of this. Doc is one of the best coaches in the league. He can definitely spin this in the locker room to get them to start playing even harder for each other. Obviously there would be a lack of motivation to represent a racist but they also have their own legacies to uphold. How many chances are any of these guys going to have at a championship? Doc can spin it to make it like Sterling is taking that away from them if they let him affect their play.

It would be nice if the NBA stepped up and banned Sterling for the rest of the playoffs so that they can go about their business better. And I'd say he needs to be banned up to and including any potential championship presentation. Can you imagine that guy being presented with a trophy at the end of the year and "celebrating" with the players? He needs to go. The sooner the better.

You also have to accept that games like yesterday were going to happen anyway. It's a seven-game series. Steph Curry is going to go off in at least one of those. I still think the Clippers can win the series. It helps that the Warriors aren't exactly a great team. They are good but flawed.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    That will certainly be the storyline if they do eventually lose here. Personally, I'd say they pull out of this. Doc is one of the best coaches in the league. He can definitely spin this in the locker room to get them to start playing even harder for each other. Obviously there would be a lack of motivation to represent a racist but they also have their own legacies to uphold. How many chances are any of these guys going to have at a championship? Doc can spin it to make it like Sterling is taking that away from them if they let him affect their play.

It would be nice if the NBA stepped up and banned Sterling for the rest of the playoffs so that they can go about their business better. And I'd say he needs to be banned up to and including any potential championship presentation. Can you imagine that guy being presented with a trophy at the end of the year and "celebrating" with the players? He needs to go. The sooner the better.

You also have to accept that games like yesterday were going to happen anyway. It's a seven-game series. Steph Curry is going to go off in at least one of those. I still think the Clippers can win the series. It helps that the Warriors aren't exactly a great team. They are good but flawed.

Not a chance in hell. He legally owns the team and has done nothing to violate any league policies in that respect that I'm aware of. The league will certainly fine him (and possibly suspend him) for marring their image and marketability, etc but not until after an extensive investigation.

It's also not illegal to be a racist, in fact it's protected by the 1st amendment. If the NBA seeks to remove him they'll be sued and they will lose. There's also the matter of the recording itself, it is illegal in most states to record someone without their knowledge, so ironically whoever recorded him (the girlfriend I assume) will likely face charges while he gets nothing.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Not a chance in hell. He legally owns the team and has done nothing to violate any league policies in that respect that I'm aware of. The league will certainly fine him (and possibly suspend him) for marring their image and marketability, etc but not until after an extensive investigation.

It's also not illegal to be a racist, in fact it's protected by the 1st amendment. If the NBA seeks to remove him they'll be sued and they will lose. There's also the matter of the recording itself, it is illegal in most states to record someone without their knowledge, so ironically whoever recorded him (the girlfriend I assume) will likely face charges while he gets nothing.
    Are you a lawyer? I am eager to read some legal views about this issue.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    Are you a lawyer? I am eager to read some legal views about this issue.
    haha, no not at all...but I have a friend who is and we saw this on the news at the bar last night so he gave me some of the lowdown on it

Dobber Sports Deity

This is how they will drive him out of the league. They will hit him where it hurts, in the wallet.

https://twitter.com/CourtneyNBC6/sta...86186974683136

RT @MarkZinno According to @TheHerd, #StateFarm is pulling sponsorship from the #LAClippers in response to the Donald Sterling comments.
    No doubt the first of many to come.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This is how they will drive him out of the league. They will hit him where it hurts, in the wallet.

https://twitter.com/CourtneyNBC6/sta...86186974683136

No doubt the first of many to come.
    He's a billionaire though, that's petty cash for him.

But you're thinking in the right terms, the only thing that matters to big business in the U.S. (and professional sports is definitely a huge business) is the almighty dollar. Hit them where it hurts most and you'll see a remarkable change in their attitude. This will probably never happen but here's what I'd love to see. The NBA is about 4/5 black, so if the players banded together as a united front and said "we won't play another game for you until you get rid of this racist *******" I promise you you'd see some action. There's no way all those owners want to lose millions of dollars to protect a bigot.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post

The first amendment is pretty widely misunderstood. The first amendment prohibits Government from getting involved with Freedom of speech issues. Meaning, you can't be stopped from speaking your mind, and you cannot go to jail for speaking your mind. It, however, does not protect you from being fired from your job for saying something stupid.

The NBA also has a code of conduct, which everyone involved in the NBA has to agree to. Sterling has now been banned for life and fined the maximum 2.5 million dollars. He has no control over the team anymore. The NBA will now ask him to sell the team, which is in his best interest now. If Sterling refuses to sell, the NBA will put it to a vote. If 22 of 30 owners vote in favor (Which will happen), he will be forced to sell the team. The law supports everything the NBA is doing; Sterling is done.

Rylant

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    The first amendment is pretty widely misunderstood. The first amendment prohibits Government from getting involved with Freedom of speech issues. Meaning, you can't be stopped from speaking your mind, and you cannot go to jail for speaking your mind. It, however, does not protect you from being fired from your job for saying something stupid.

The NBA also has a code of conduct, which everyone involved in the NBA has to agree to. Sterling has now been banned for life and fined the maximum 2.5 million dollars. He has no control over the team anymore. The NBA will now ask him to sell the team, which is in his best interest now. If Sterling refuses to sell, the NBA will put it to a vote. If 22 of 30 owners vote in favor (Which will happen), he will be forced to sell the team. The law supports everything the NBA is doing; Sterling is done.

Rylant
    WOW! I did not expect that in a million years! Good to see the league actually growing some balls. I thought they'd drag their feet on this for months before we'd see any action.

It will be interesting to see if Sterling takes them to court on this though.
    While you're absolutely right that the league is effectively a private company and can mandate what behavior they deem as unacceptable for their owners, players etc, I would expect him to argue either a)that that wasn't him on the recording and/or they cannot prove it was him or b)the recording was taken illegally (both parties must consent to having their conversation recorded unless it is fully in public where such privacy would not be expected). If he can prove it was recorded illegally then it would be considered inadmissible would it not?

Also, I only mentioned the 1st amendment in the context of noting that, reprehensible though it is, being a racist is protected speech.

Wow, I'm amazed that the league did the right thing so quickly but excited to see that bigotted old **** kicked to the curb! Go Clippers!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post

Rylant
    here's an article on CNN that sums up the legal state of affairs pretty well I think, he even provides some other examples to tease apart the differences:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/04/30/opinio...acy/index.html