Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When to deal Malkin?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: When to deal Malkin?

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    We haven't gotten into specifics but I'm guessing it would be Hall + Eric Staal + a 1st round pick
    I like this. I'd take it.

I much prefer Staal to Yakupov as your 4th keeper, and a 1st round pick in a keep 4 is pretty huge. That could land you a top player.

Out of curiosity, who is your fringe player competing for the 4th keeper spot with Yak right now?

Dobber Sports Genius

For starters, in a keep 4 league I don't think there should ever really be a team that needs to "rebuild", even if your keepers are not top of the pack a smart draft puts you right back into contention.

For me I'm in the opposite boat, limited keepers like yours I prefer to trade up rather then dilute, but if you have really terrible options for your 4th guy I can see scenarios where you make that move.

Back to your original point, to move Malkin I'd want to legit keepers, Hall + E Staal + a first is a good offer, although I would be more inclined to move your 4th keeper (Yak was it?) with Geno to get something better than Staal as the 2nd piece back.
    12 Team H2H Dynasty
    22 Players 3C 3L 3R 1Util 4D 2G 6BN
    (G) (A) (+/-) (PIM) (PPP) (FW) (HIT) (W) (GAA) (SV%) (SHO)
    C: R Getzlaf, C Giroux, Scheifele, T Bozak
    LW: T Vanek, B Ryan, P Marleau, T Hall
    RW: C Perry, K Okposo, A Ovechkin, Kucherov
    D: D Byfuglien, Z Chara, E Karlsson, R Josi, D Keith, Trouba
    G: R Luongo, B Holtby, K Lehtonen
    Farm: Lack, Wennberg, Hellbucyk, Ho-Sang, Milano, Burakovsky, Sanheim
    2012-2013 and 2013-2014 league champ

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    My problem is we only keep 4 forwards and my guys are Malkin, Skinner, E.Kane and Yakupov. So if I deal Malkin it has to be for 2 guys, 1 of which is a significant upgrade over the forwards I already have. Hard to see that deal out there.
    I have a really hard time seeing Yak as keeper-worthy in a keep-4. Even Skinner is not that strong of an option in keep-4.......in very limited keeper formats like this, all 4 keepers should be bona-fide studs unless you are in a really deep league. I'm sure you could upgrade those slots significantly if you were to deal Malkin. How many teams are in this league? Can you post your team and league scoring details? That would really help us evaluate.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post
    For starters, in a keep 4 league I don't think there should ever really be a team that needs to "rebuild", even if your keepers are not top of the pack a smart draft puts you right back into contention.

For me I'm in the opposite boat, limited keepers like yours I prefer to trade up rather then dilute, but if you have really terrible options for your 4th guy I can see scenarios where you make that move.

Back to your original point, to move Malkin I'd want to legit keepers, Hall + E Staal + a first is a good offer, although I would be more inclined to move your 4th keeper (Yak was it?) with Geno to get something better than Staal as the 2nd piece back.
    Agree with the above. I'm having a hard time seeing how you're rebuilding in a keep 4, unless your league has 60 teams in it. I can't imagine many are keeping top prospects outside of guys like Mackinon in your format. Hall + Stall + 1st wouldn't be a terrible offer in a full keeper or say a keep 15ish, but in a keep 4 there's no way I'm giving up on Malkin for that package. Looking at your keepers with and without the trade, I don't see anyone outside of Malkin and Hall who isn't about a 50/50 at best to still be a keeper next year. Staal, Kane, Skinner and Yak are fringe keepers in your set up as far as I'm concerned. If I'm the one giving up Malkin in this format, I want two surefire keepers in return, not one and a half. The pick is also nice but if you don't think you'll compete next year and don't think you'll be able to use that pick to grab someone appreciably better than one of your current keepers, what's it worth really?
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    A 1st round in a keep four is a pritty good pick but still Malkin in a keep 4 is pritty good as well. So basically if he throws in E.Staal and 1st your looking at going into next year with this squad.

Hall,E.Staal,Skinner,E.Kane vs Malkin,Skinner,Ekane,Yakupov... the 1st is the big thing here as it should bring you some decent vaule in a keep 4

I don't mind the trade to tell you the truth, I think Staal should be back to 70 next year, and I think you at least get 70 from Hall with potential for far more, then the extra 1st round can really sweeten it
    Interesting, nice breakdown. The only issue is that since I'm rebuilding I want to keep Yakupov too. Staal is great, but how good is he in 2 years when I'm ready to seriously win again

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jcairns View Post
    I like this. I'd take it.

I much prefer Staal to Yakupov as your 4th keeper, and a 1st round pick in a keep 4 is pretty huge. That could land you a top player.

Out of curiosity, who is your fringe player competing for the 4th keeper spot with Yak right now?
    I'm pretty high on Yakupov to tell the truth. Can't see me keeping anyone else in that 4th spot (have Marleau....)
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Quote Originally Posted by Laendarian View Post

Great point on the "rebuild", I should probably call it a "re-tool" since you're right, it doesn't take that long to get back. He also has Patrick Sharp who I could ask to be included
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiva Blaster View Post
    I have a really hard time seeing Yak as keeper-worthy in a keep-4. Even Skinner is not that strong of an option in keep-4.......in very limited keeper formats like this, all 4 keepers should be bona-fide studs unless you are in a really deep league. I'm sure you could upgrade those slots significantly if you were to deal Malkin. How many teams are in this league? Can you post your team and league scoring details? That would really help us evaluate.
    Apologies, I should have included that. 10 team league, keep 4 F, 1 D, 1 G, G, A, SOG, plus minus, GWG, PPP, PIMs. The only relevant players on my team to this are Malkin, Skinner, E.Kane, Yakupov, Yandle and Corey Schiender in net

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Agree with the above. I'm having a hard time seeing how you're rebuilding in a keep 4, unless your league has 60 teams in it. I can't imagine many are keeping top prospects outside of guys like Mackinon in your format. Hall + Stall + 1st wouldn't be a terrible offer in a full keeper or say a keep 15ish, but in a keep 4 there's no way I'm giving up on Malkin for that package. Looking at your keepers with and without the trade, I don't see anyone outside of Malkin and Hall who isn't about a 50/50 at best to still be a keeper next year. Staal, Kane, Skinner and Yak are fringe keepers in your set up as far as I'm concerned. If I'm the one giving up Malkin in this format, I want two surefire keepers in return, not one and a half. The pick is also nice but if you don't think you'll compete next year and don't think you'll be able to use that pick to grab someone appreciably better than one of your current keepers, what's it worth really?
    I'm with you here. Staal is fine, but he isn't 26 any more. Malkin in this format has huge value since teams with an elite player have a massive advantage over teams with say Getzlaf as their long term option