Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: When to deal Malkin?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default When to deal Malkin?

I had an interesting discussion with a buddy. Essentially he wants me to deal Malkin for Hall +. The rationale being that I'm in a rebuild and Hall resets the clock 5 or so years.

It raises an interesting question for anyone with Malkin. Do you ride off into the sunset (33 or 34) before dealing him, or try to get a Hall, MacKinnon, Tavares type over the next year.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Re: When to deal Malkin?

the + is the important part here imo

i would likely move him for any of those players with the right + if i were rebuilding

hell i would likely move him for any of those players with the right + if i were competing

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Stud

The key is getting a potential elite included as one of the + players. Otherwise you may as we'll ride it out with him.
    I dealt Malkin this season in December along with Johansen and Scheifele for Seguin, MacKinnon, and Zibanejad. It had to be both for me to do the deal. I wouldn't have done it for only one of them and a lesser player.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

yeah one of those guys might do it. im on the other side have mackinnon could get malkin for him

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'd at least wait until after this next year as I'm hoping it's the non hurt year kinda following the pattern he seems to be in.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I'd at least wait until after this next year as I'm hoping it's the non hurt year kinda following the pattern he seems to be in.
    be careful with counting on that

this past season was the healthy productive year for Gaborik following his career pattern

that totally didn't work out

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    be careful with counting on that

this past season was the healthy productive year for Gaborik following his career pattern

that totally didn't work out
    I know, I just don't see Malkins value decreasing with a similar year to this one... And if he did go off, well that plus could really be good. At least that's my thought.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by plug View Post
    I know, I just don't see Malkins value decreasing with a similar year to this one... And if he did go off, well that plus could really be good. At least that's my thought.
    if you don't get a deal you want you hold him it is that easy imo

but one thing to keep in mind regarding his value is that personally i don't think it will change all that much even if he has a healthy year with ppg similar to this past season depending on who you are dealing with

those looking for bargain basement deals are never going to give you what you want anyway

but those who are seriously looking to acquire him realize that paying value for him is ok because rather than being untouchable Malkin is available and he might not be available again so they are willing to move as a result

those same GMs likely realize that if you make him available after a healthy season that you are trying to dupe them by selling high and are less likely to want to pay proper value for him because they feel you are trying to cheat them

the same exact deal for these players can look very different based on the perception of why you are moving him

just some food for thought anyway, a lot of trading is mind ****

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

the + is the important part here imo

i would likely move him for any of those players with the right + if i were rebuilding

hell i would likely move him for any of those players with the right + if i were competing
    We haven't gotten into specifics but I'm guessing it would be Hall + Eric Staal + a 1st round pick

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slufoot View Post
    The key is getting a potential elite included as one of the + players. Otherwise you may as we'll ride it out with him.
    I dealt Malkin this season in December along with Johansen and Scheifele for Seguin, MacKinnon, and Zibanejad. It had to be both for me to do the deal. I wouldn't have done it for only one of them and a lesser player.
    Agreed. I like the value you got there. It can't be for one elite guy (otherwise Malkin is the superior asset and I ultimately lose the deal). Odds are Malkin stays put

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tmlcupchamps View Post
    yeah one of those guys might do it. im on the other side have mackinnon could get malkin for him
    If you can make that trade I would go for it. Malkin is only turning 28, could be plenty of elite seasons left
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

if you don't get a deal you want you hold him it is that easy imo

but one thing to keep in mind regarding his value is that personally i don't think it will change all that much even if he has a healthy year with ppg similar to this past season depending on who you are dealing with

those looking for bargain basement deals are never going to give you what you want anyway

but those who are seriously looking to acquire him realize that paying value for him is ok because rather than being untouchable Malkin is available and he might not be available again so they are willing to move as a result

those same GMs likely realize that if you make him available after a healthy season that you are trying to dupe them by selling high and are less likely to want to pay proper value for him because they feel you are trying to cheat them

the same exact deal for these players can look very different based on the perception of why you are moving him

just some food for thought anyway, a lot of trading is mind ****
    I like to trade "medium". Not when a guy is struggling nor when he is producing career best numbers. It's a more honest negotiation with the other GM and generally results in more deals getting done.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    I like to trade "medium". Not when a guy is struggling nor when he is producing career best numbers. It's a more honest negotiation with the other GM and generally results in more deals getting done.
    sometimes i like an honest negotiation but it is a rare GM out there that you can find that wants to engage in one with you

so unfortunately most times you have to engage in duplicitous practices in order to get a player you really want, or to dump a player you really feel the need to get rid of

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

sometimes i like an honest negotiation but it is a rare GM out there that you can find that wants to engage in one with you

so unfortunately most times you have to engage in duplicitous practices in order to get a player you really want, or to dump a player you really feel the need to get rid of
    Definitely agree. I have a group of 3 or 4 GMs that I always try to work with first, then if I have to, start to look at the outer guys

Dobber Sports Superstar

You could put out the word Malkin is available to see what bites you get. If you are rebuilding then those are the type of players you want.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    You could put out the word Malkin is available to see what bites you get. If you are rebuilding then those are the type of players you want.
    My problem is we only keep 4 forwards and my guys are Malkin, Skinner, E.Kane and Yakupov. So if I deal Malkin it has to be for 2 guys, 1 of which is a significant upgrade over the forwards I already have. Hard to see that deal out there.

Dobber Sports Genius

A 1st round in a keep four is a pritty good pick but still Malkin in a keep 4 is pritty good as well. So basically if he throws in E.Staal and 1st your looking at going into next year with this squad.

Hall,E.Staal,Skinner,E.Kane vs Malkin,Skinner,Ekane,Yakupov... the 1st is the big thing here as it should bring you some decent vaule in a keep 4

I don't mind the trade to tell you the truth, I think Staal should be back to 70 next year, and I think you at least get 70 from Hall with potential for far more, then the extra 1st round can really sweeten it
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram