Thread: Ready Player One

Dobber Sports Expert

Default Ready Player One

Anyone read this book? so far it is fantastic! Any recommendations of books similar to this?
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Ready Player One

Who wrote it? I never heard of it
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Expert

Ernest Cline

"Welcome to the OASIS, a hyper-realistic, 3D, videogame paradise. It's 2045, and pretty much everyone logs in to the OASIS daily to escape their terrible lives, lives affected by overpopulation, unemployment, and energy shortages. Eighteen-year-old Wade Watts is one of these people, and he has a mission: to find an Easter egg hidden inside the OASIS by its wackadoodle creator, James Halliday." Who ever finds the easter egg gets his fortune. Lots of 80's and 90's pop culture references.. so good. (so far, I am only about 3 chapters in. My friend recommended it and he loves it.)
    10 Keepers

10 Team, 10 Keeper
    Head to Head: G,A,P,PPP,SHP,BS,FW,GAA,SV%,SO
    Daily changes: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G
    C: Malkin, Pavelski, Domi
    LW: Gaudreau, Drouin
    RW: Kessel, B. Ryan, Nyquist
    D: Hedman
    G: Holtby
    Don't mistake opinion for fact.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I've actually proposed to many of my friends my "next level of video-gaming".
    People are going to construct 10'x10'x10' video-gaming rooms to go with their video machines.
    Video gaming won't just be "visual" any more. It will be spacial - and require athleticism.
    The floor will be treadmill like.
    The walls will be loaded with objects, smells, sounds.
    And people will wear video helmets that give them the virtual-"look".

But the "room" will provide the compliment to just the look.
    Your body will be required to move.

Anyways - I'll have to read the book - as I love futuristic & dystopian stories.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Book sounds fun, maybe I'll check it out. Can't go wrong with 80's and 90's pop culture references.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

It has excellent reviews. Lots of 80's references apparently. Dakkster gave it an insanely great review.... I bought it and have it on hold since I'm on 11 of 14 in WOT.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I've actually proposed to many of my friends my "next level of video-gaming".
    People are going to construct 10'x10'x10' video-gaming rooms to go with their video machines.
    Video gaming won't just be "visual" any more. It will be spacial - and require athleticism.
    The floor will be treadmill like.
    The walls will be loaded with objects, smells, sounds.
    And people will wear video helmets that give them the virtual-"look".

But the "room" will provide the compliment to just the look.
    Your body will be required to move.

Anyways - I'll have to read the book - as I love futuristic & dystopian stories.

Ick...I'm still bitter about the invention of those stupid twiddly sticks on the controller, and the stress of having to deal with three dimensions. I liked games I could play lying down. I'll take Bionic Commando over all this new-fangled nonsense any day.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

This book is ****ing awesome. It should entertain a ton of people who loved pop culture in the 80s and 90s. Pure nostalgia bomb.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    This book is ****ing awesome. It should entertain a ton of people who loved pop culture in the 80s and 90s. Pure nostalgia bomb.
    The only thing I found weird about it was that it seemed to be written in a tone/style as to appeal to teenagers (like say Hunger Games or Maze Runner for example) but as you note all the references are to 80s arcade games so the youngest person likely to get those references is probably at least 30. Fun book though.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    The only thing I found weird about it was that it seemed to be written in a tone/style as to appeal to teenagers (like say Hunger Games or Maze Runner for example) but as you note all the references are to 80s arcade games so the youngest person likely to get those references is probably at least 30. Fun book though.
    Yeah, it's not exactly high literature. It's not very advanced plot-wise either. It's okay. It works well enough. But the strength of the book is a huge strength. The way Cline references and weaves together all the nostalgia is damn near perfect. I enjoyed it so much.
    GO WINGS!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Yeah, it's not exactly high literature. It's not very advanced plot-wise either. It's okay. It works well enough. But the strength of the book is a huge strength. The way Cline references and weaves together all the nostalgia is damn near perfect. I enjoyed it so much.
    Agreed on all counts. I especially enjoyed it because his game references were not the predictable list you'd expect...and some of them were games I excelled at, so that was fun to read

For example, I was really good at Tempest when I was a kid...no special reason why other than the fact that it was at the little arcade (maybe 10 games) that I could walk to as a kid.
    I was also really good at Black Tiger (which I've never met anyone else who even remembers it but whatever)...first I got to where I could beat it on a single quarter...then I got to where I could beat it without dying once (which is tough)