Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - April 24, 2014

I...am your father.

Default Re: Fantasy Hockey Mailbag - April 24, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by StaveOffElimination View Post
    Who should be my last 2 keepers? Right now I have Yakupov and Giordano pencilled in but I wonder if I should keep Voracek, Kronwall, Girardi, or Howard instead of 1 or both. I think I have a fairly good chance at winning next year and can't really afford another poor year by Yak.

I am also unsure if Giordano can come close to what he did this year. What are your projections for Giordano?
    Instead of Yakupov, keep Howard. That way, at the draft you can pretty much ignore goalies and focus on the other spots

Instead of Edler, keep Kronwall

You would be in a great spot for next year. Giordano can repeat what he just did - but he gets hurt a lot. So all you can do is hope he plays closer to 75 games than 60 games.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    If you were drafting in a standard multi-cat league today and had to choose from these 3 prospect Dmen, who would you take 1st, 2nd and 3rd and what kind of upside do you see from them.

Frank Corrado, Robert Hagg, or Xavier Oullett.
    I don't see much upside from Corrado. I would take Ouellett first - he could be on the team very soon, but production may take a few years (like Smith, Kronwall, etc)

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by VancouverGreek View Post
    Hey Dobber, love your site!

Can you list 10 young guys who are playing or coming up in this years draft who will be elite playmakers?

I have Thornton as my current playmaker but will need a replacement in the future when Thornton hangs up his skates!

Cheers
    Thanks!

Your question is pretty vague...since there are obvious ones like MacKinnon?

Drouin is a prospect ready to go, and good for a ton of assists when he hits his prime
    Nugent-Hopkins will eventually be a 60-assist guy
    Kuznetsov has potential here
    Granlund will be an elite setup man for sure
    Other long shots to consider - the likes of Ennis, T.Johnson, Teravainen

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by reeveta View Post
    Fantasy value (mostly points but some bonus for big PIM, hits, block) for next year and long term:
    John Carlson
    Justin Faulk
    Morgan Rielly
    Jacob Trouba
    Dougie Hamilton
    I would prefer:
    Trouba
    Rielly
    Hamilton
    Carlson
    Faulk

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by agoodburn View Post
    Dobber Would love to hear your thoughts on Evander Kane, who constantly tantalizes us with his talent and seems to under deliver if he remains a Winnipeg Jet (where he has seemingly fallen into the Claude Noels Doghouse) and if he is traded (where are likely destinations and how that affects him).
    I don't think a trade will expedite things. I think he just needs time, always did. What would help the most is if he would stay healthy for 80 games. That would speed things along. But at this point I don't think he can be a 75-point player. But I think 65-70 is the target, say two or three years from now. And hope for 60 (and good healthy) for next year.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by ddtop View Post
    I've just asked something around this trade in the forum but I'd like to ear your tought. IN a league that count 1 for G and A, 0,1 for SOG, 0,2 for PIM:

I give Boedker+Kuznetsov (plus maybe a little piece) for his Ryan +Saad

Do it or no? Would your answer be the same in 2 year?
    TY
    Yes, do this trade. You get proven commodities back and give up little in the way of upside.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by yougo View Post
    1- Is Parise ever going to score 80+ point?
    I would bet no
    2- Is RNH making a leap next year to 70-80 points?
    If Edmonton does, RNH will. But maybe they need 3 or 4 more first overall picks before they start winning
    3- Will Holtby be Washington #1 goaltender next season?
    I believe so, but I think management changes are coming so that could change things.
    4- Sven Baertschi : Bust?
    My hunch is that he will be, but I haven't written him off.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Have to keep 3 out of 4, who do you cut ? Points only...

Campbell
    Schultz
    Enstrom
    Ehrhoff

Thanks again

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1982 View Post
    Scoring format in my sig..roster not up to date.

I traded away MacKinnon about 3 weeks ago, the trade was:
    Stamkos/P.Kane/2 Keeper spots next offseason (we have a cascading keeper format; the higher you finish the less guys you can keep for the following here. 1st and ssecond keep 11; last 4 places keep 15)
    for
    MacKinnon, Benn, Neal

The GM has offered me
    MacKinnon, 2 first round picks next year (the two picks have a shot at being for McDavid) for Seguin, Subban, Kuznetsov.
    Thoughts? I'm high on MacKinnon and didn't really want to trade him away but the offer for Stamkos was too good to pass up IMO and I want him back. Albeit I'm buying into super hype right now.
    NO, because Subban is the MacKinnon of D. Your initial trade was a little steep a price to pay for Stamkos, too.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodgort View Post
    Everyone talks about Gaudreau's amazing college career (and it was great) but no one was talking about Boucher breaking Stamkos' goals record for Sarnia with enthusiasm. Now I am not saying Boucher is going to be better than Stamkos, but I am wondering why he does not seem to get the love other prospects do. What type of future point totals do you see for him? Can he be a player who scores over 60+ points? Also I understand the NJ factor possibly bringing down the point totals, so maybe an in NJD outside NJD point totals?

Thanks
    Boucher was 18 months older than Stamkos when he did it. At 19, if you have any kind of offensive skill, it's expected that you score 50+ in the OHL. Plus, fourth round picks have to prove more to get the same hype that a first-overall pick gets.

I think he can be a 60+ guy for sure. Upside maybe 70. Would depend on linemates and how quick he can adapt and establish a niche on a scoring line.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    Dobbs - thanks for opening the shop

Keeper League G-A-PTS-+/- are the offensive categories
    I can only keep 2 of the following...Drouin, Kuznetsov, Yakupov, RNH, Nyquist

or I could keep 1 of them and keep a 2nd goaltender (Price is my #1)...Rinne or Bernier
    However, with a 12 team league, I can usually find a solid 2nd goaltender in the draft so I tend to favor the extra fwd.

Thoughts are appreciated
    First of all - love the avatar!

That's a tough choice, but I'm guessing in a limited keeper like that you can draft one of these types of players very easily. What would be more difficult is drafting a goalie, so I would keep Rinne and RNH

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    Tarasenko is hot right now! Since december 17th, he's almost a ppg foward (31pts in 33games).
    What are your projections for him next year and in 3 years?

Also, can Varlamov repeat his dream season? Colorado could be the next chicago with all the young talents they have!

Thanks for doing this!
    Yes to Varlamov - but the question is always his health. If he can start 65 games, he can win 40.

Tarasenko could be an 80-point guy. But I think he gets hurt too much so I wonder if he'll ever get 70. No.1 thing I'd like to see next year is 80 games from him. If he can do that, he can get 60 easily. Then he can build on that.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by TornBetween2Pucks View Post
    Hi Dobber,

I'll ask you the same questions I asked Darren on his fantasy site. Hopefully your answers are mostly in agreement!

I'm in a keeper league that goes pretty deep. My team is a bit too young to win next year so I'm choosing the guys who I think will be best three years from now. It's points only with bonus points for defencemen goals, power play goals and short-handed goals.

I need to protect 4 of 7 forwards - Ryan Strome, Sam Gagner, Teravainen, Kuznetsov, Kucherov, Silfverberg and Colin Wilson.

I need to protect 3 of 5 defence - Ekman-Larson, Justin Schultz, Slava Voynov, TJ Brodie and Justin Faulk.

So...who do you think I should protect?

Thanks for doing this.
    I protect TT, Strome, Kuznetsov and Kucherov

OEL, Schultz and Voynov

Does it match Darren's?

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinkers View Post
    Have to keep 3 out of 4, who do you cut ? Points only...

Campbell
    Schultz
    Enstrom
    Ehrhoff

Thanks again
    I'd cut Ehrhoff without looking back.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by errantpass View Post
    Thanks for doing this Dobber. My first time posting here!
    Do you expect Jagr to come anywhere close to this season's performance next year?
    Welcome!

No way I see that coming. But I didn't see this coming either. Next year I'd predict him to miss 15+ games from groin injuries, and 50 points.