Thread: Matt Moulson predictions

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Matt Moulson predictions

I should likely afford him more credit than I do. I’ve long believed Moulson was purely a product of playing with Tavares, little more than Kunitz 2.0. However, 51 points in 75 games, while bouncing between three different teams, is forcing me to eat my hat, or at least nibble on the brim. His value next year will depend partly on where he ends up. While 50 points is likely the low end projection regardless, I could see that number being as high as 65 if he lands in a more offensive system (no, Minnesota is not said offensive system).

What do you project in 2014-15?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Banned

Default Re: Matt Moulson predictions

I have watched (and criticized) Moulsen more than most... and I don't see many teams where he is much more than a 50 point player. He is too weak to get enough minutes on a decent team. The Islanders were his very best case scenario and that ship has sailed.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Not a huge fan either, but depending where he ends up I value him at 50 pts +/-5. Just not going to overpay for him.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    I have watched (and criticized) Moulsen more than most... and I don't see many teams where he is much more than a 50 point player. He is too weak to get enough minutes on a decent team. The Islanders were his very best case scenario and that ship has sailed.
    You could be right. Although what I've read in MIN is that he's well received. I think they want him back (albeit not at star money)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Not a huge fan either, but depending where he ends up I value him at 50 pts +/-5. Just not going to overpay for him.
    Funny that he went from being a complete unknown 3 or 4 years ago to possibly a tad overrated today based on name recognition. I suppose the pendulum always swings
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Icon

This guy is the Rodney Dangerfield of NHL and fantasy hockey. All he does is produce and yet he gets no respect. Moulson = 60+ pt guy most seasons, with great peripherals (G, SOG, PPPs) and he is durable, having played a full schedule 4 seasons running (1 game missed last year) and 75 this year. He's a really nice depth guy to own as a fantasy GM, all he does is produce and get you points. He'll always be paired with an effective playmaker because he tends to convert and isn't afraid to get into the dirty areas, and has a criminally underrated release. I've had him for 3 years now, and every year he's contributed to my regular season and playoff run, every year. 27blue hates him, but that's more of an Isles fan's take, and when it comes to fantasy the player's worth "in real life" means little - and even then, I have a bone to pick with 27blue and we've engaged in healthy debate on this one.

Fantasy hockey is all about drafting/keeping CONSISTENTLY PERFORMING and DURABLE players. Moulson is a poster child for that.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Banned

Here we go again...

Ross, check out Moulsen points per game after leaving NYI...
    He was under a 55 point pace combined between the two teams.

I said above that NY was his ideal situation because of his big minutes, important role on the team, elite center and NO ACCOUNTABILITY.
    The second best place for him to land was Buffalo, as I have said earlier because of big minutes, big role on the team, lots of PP and NO ACCOUNTABILITY.
    When he got to Minny, his ice-time went down nearly 2 minutes a game and he had his lowest points per game of the three...
    Why? Cause he sucks everywhere except on the powerplay and Minny, trying to make the playoffs, couldn't afford to have him on the ice as much as their more reliable players.

He is like Chris Stewart was in Colorado... play a run-and-gun game, with no accountability from the coaching staff, big minutes.. and the points will come.
    Put him on most teams and his weaknesses are too much get anything other than sheltered minutes and his points will take a hit.

Moulsen could end up in a good situation on a poor team and then 60 points may happen if they have good enough players to help him get there...
    But other than prime spot on Crosby's wing, I see Moulsen as a 50-55 point guy at best.

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Here we go again...

Ross, check out Moulsen points per game after leaving NYI...
    He was under a 55 point pace combined between the two teams.

I said above that NY was his ideal situation because of his big minutes, important role on the team, elite center and NO ACCOUNTABILITY.
    The second best place for him to land was Buffalo, as I have said earlier because of big minutes, big role on the team, lots of PP and NO ACCOUNTABILITY.
    When he got to Minny, his ice-time went down nearly 2 minutes a game and he had his lowest points per game of the three...
    Why? Cause he sucks everywhere except on the powerplay and Minny, trying to make the playoffs, couldn't afford to have him on the ice as much as their more reliable players.

He is like Chris Stewart was in Colorado... play a run-and-gun game, with no accountability from the coaching staff, big minutes.. and the points will come.
    Put him on most teams and his weaknesses are too much get anything other than sheltered minutes and his points will take a hit.

Moulsen could end up in a good situation on a poor team and then 60 points may happen if they have good enough players to help him get there...
    But other than prime spot on Crosby's wing, I see Moulsen as a 50-55 point guy at best.
    I think I'm with you here. With JT there was 70 point upside, without him, Moulson should slot into that 55 to 60 point range. I agree with some of the comments above that he is consistent. But that high end potential has been lost with the move from NYI IMO

Banned

Man I dunno with MM. He surprised me in BUF being able to produce even on an abysmal team with no help so I won't underestimate him again. That said, Minny is a team that seems to like to spread it's scoring around. I personally had high hopes for Parise returning to ppg and he still was not quite producing at a 70 pt pace. I think now I'm resigned to the fact that this will be one of those teams that operates on the 'whole is greater than the sum of the parts' type philosophy, which is great for the team in real life but not always great for fantasy owners. Usually it results in flattened stats where you get no studs hitting 80 or 80+ pts, rather you get a 70 or perhaps two if you're lucky, a couple 50-60pt guys and then the rest of the team in the 30-50 pt range. I think Moulson has a good chance of being a 50-60 pt guy on Minny.

Dobber Sports Wizard

He sure has been awful so far in the playoffs though. I'm sure Varlamov channeling his inner Hasek isn't helping, but Moulson has been completely invisible the last two games especially.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    He sure has been awful so far in the playoffs though. I'm sure Varlamov channeling his inner Hasek isn't helping, but Moulson has been completely invisible the last two games especially.
    That's probably my biggest complaint with Moulson's game. I'm not sure he can create on his own.

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

The past 4 Stanley Cup winners(CHI,BOS,LA,CHI) have all been very deep teams that spread out the scoring more than most.. Moulson thrives on teams that aren't vert good, atleast right now, like the New York Islanders and Buffalo Sabres.. So it really depends on where he signs this summer to whether or not he will be a 50, 60, or 70 point guy..

Let's put it this way, if the Penguins sign Moulson, you will definitely want Moulson on your fantasy team.. If the New Jersey Devils sign Moulson, you will probably be better off letting someone else obtain his services!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..