Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    well I can't speak for what he does in practice but on the ice in actual games (especially in the 2nd half) I didn't see much hard work...I saw a guy coasting between offensive chances and perpetually riding the blue line hoping for a stretch pass to spring him for a breakaway. That's not to say that if you have talent like he does that you shouldn't look to exploit it, but when that becomes your entire game to the detriment of everything else it makes you a petty shitty, one-dimensional hockey player. I dunno, you watch more of him I'm sure so maybe I need to watch more but lets just say that I've seen more than a few symptoms of LRS from him this season.

I see it more as him looking lost out there - a hockey IQ thing. Not good, but not work ethic related. Eakins, team management, and the rest of the coaching staff have been very clear that he works hard out on the ice. It's not that they just hpost-game scrums etc, but to criticize him for something that has been continually been put forth as a strength by those who work with him seems rather unfair.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I see it more as him looking lost out there - a hockey IQ thing. Not good, but not work ethic related. Eakins, team management, and the rest of the coaching staff have been very clear that he works hard out on the ice. It's not that they just hpost-game scrums etc, but to criticize him for something that has been continually been put forth as a strength by those who work with him seems rather unfair.
    fair enough, you're right. often the term 'work ethic' gets tossed around far too liberally to describe any number of on-ice issues.

let me revise then, I would say that his on-ice effort is 'unfocused, frequently selfish and undisciplined'

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Has he improved his physical play? I posted some video clips on here a while back of Yakupov bailing when he was about to get checked. It was on more than one occasion. I believe that he made some comments about players having different roles on the team - and that his role wasn't that of a checker.

I imagine that if he improved that aspect of his game that it would go a long way towards his success as a hockey player.

As a fan of the Penguins, I wouldn't be against a trade of Letang for Yakupov. I believe that Malkin could motivate him to a level we haven't seen yet.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Watching these playoffs, it's painfully clear that the Penguins need to trade Letang. I'm not sure how much better Yakupov makes them, but that $7mil cap hit looks like even more of an albatross now than it did when he signed. They would be much better suited re-signing Niskanen at 4-5 and using that extra 2-3 in cap space on their bottom 6 forwards. So I'd love to see a Letang for Yakupov+ trade.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    Has he improved his physical play? I posted some video clips on here a while back of Yakupov bailing when he was about to get checked. It was on more than one occasion. I believe that he made some comments about players having different roles on the team - and that his role wasn't that of a checker.

I imagine that if he improved that aspect of his game that it would go a long way towards his success as a hockey player.

As a fan of the Penguins, I wouldn't be against a trade of Letang for Yakupov. I believe that Malkin could motivate him to a level we haven't seen yet.
    Yak to Pittsburgh - I don't know if I my mind could handle that headline..... sigh, maybe one day. In the interim I'll just make that trade in NHL 14
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Watching these playoffs, it's painfully clear that the Penguins need to trade Letang. I'm not sure how much better Yakupov makes them, but that $7mil cap hit looks like even more of an albatross now than it did when he signed. They would be much better suited re-signing Niskanen at 4-5 and using that extra 2-3 in cap space on their bottom 6 forwards. So I'd love to see a Letang for Yakupov+ trade.
    the Oilers don't need a defenseman that can't play defense any more than the Pens do

6 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Today League
    G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 3 F, 6 D, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

14 Team Yahoo H2H Daily Tomorrow League
    G, A, -/+, PIM, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 5 D, 1 U, 2 G, 5 Bench
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer316 View Post
    the Oilers don't need a defenseman that can't play defense any more than the Pens do
    Oilers do need a better defence. And regardless of your opinion of Letang, he is an upgrade in all areas on any other defensemen on that team.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Oilers do need a better defence. And regardless of your opinion of Letang, he is an upgrade in all areas on any other defensemen on that team.
    regardless of my opinion, aren't you the one saying he is so horrible that the Pens need to trade the guy

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

regardless of my opinion, aren't you the one saying he is so horrible that the Pens need to trade the guy
    I'm saying on the Penguins he is overpaid and redundant. On the Oilers he's still their best D-man by a wide margin. If you can't see that then you probably aren't using your brain.

Dobber Sports Wizard

I'm saying on the Penguins he is overpaid and redundant. On the Oilers he's still their best D-man by a wide margin. If you can't see that then you probably aren't using your brain.
    are you on your period or something

you attack me because i don't agree with you

let me explain something to you moron, the one not using his brain is the one that thinks that the Oilers problem is they don't have enough one way offensive players on their team and need to add another

instead of being a condescending prick and an ******* you should probably learn something about the team you are talking about

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

are you on your period or something

you attack me because i don't agree with you

let me explain something to you moron, the one not using his brain is the one that thinks that the Oilers problem is they don't have enough one way offensive players on their team and need to add another

instead of being a condescending prick and an ******* you should probably learn something about the team you are talking about
    Someone's throwing a temper tantrum lol. You should probably learn something about the players you're talking about.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Someone's throwing a temper tantrum lol. You should probably learn something about the players you're talking about.
    so you are going to try to tell me that Letang is good defensively

by all means do so, you may as well shoot all of your credibility in the foot in one go

Letang is not the player you acquire when you want to be tougher to play against in your own end of the ice

and redundant or not you don't trade a player who allegedly can play solid defense and puts up the kind of offense he does

they are kind of a rare breed and every team would have 6 of them if they could find that many of them

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

so you are going to try to tell me that Letang is good defensively

by all means do so, you may as well shoot all of your credibility in the foot in one go

Letang is not the player you acquire when you want to be tougher to play against in your own end of the ice

and redundant or not you don't trade a player who allegedly can play solid defense and puts up the kind of offense he does

they are kind of a rare breed and every team would have 6 of them if they could find that many of them
    Good? No. Not a chance. Better defensively than anyone else on the Oilers? Yea I probably stick to that line of thinking. Better offensively than anyone else on the Oilers? Yup I definitely stick to that thinking too. Problem is it's just not that easy to find high caliber defensive defensemen. Teams don't trade those guys. Who is a better D-man who would possibly be available that they could trade for? Letang is average in his own end, not horrid but not great either. Does he make Edmonton a better defensive team and a better team overall? Compared to what they currently have, yes he does.

Dobber Sports Wizard

i am sorry i just don't agree that Letang is average in his own end

you don't trade a guy that is average in his own end with the kind of offensive ability that he has

the only way a guy with his offensive ability is not worth keeping around on a team is if he isn't very good in his own end

G, A, +/-, PIM, PPP, GWG
    W, GAA, SV, SV%
    Keep 10 - 6 F, 3 D, 1 G

W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO
    Keep 14 - 2 G Max

We will have to agree to disagree. You trade him because you've been fine offensively all season with Martin/Niskanen on the PP (the finished first overall in PP%) and Pittsburgh has an awful bottom 6. His $7mil cap hit could be much better spent in other areas when the team showed this year they don't need his offensive contributions to be successful. Niskanen at $4.5mil plus a bottom 6 forward at $2.5mil plus adding Yakupov into your top six is better than Letang at $7mil.

Like I said we can agree to disagree. But this isn't really an issue of Letang. He is average in his own end, and elite in the offensive zone, the issue is just that as a cap team, Pittsburgh needs to consider the best investment of their cap space, and they have shown (and these playoffs have shown) that while they have the offensive talent on the back end to absorb the loss of Letang, their bottom 6 talent is abysmal and kills them when they play deeper teams like Boston and Chicago.