Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Administrator

Default Re: What if Yakupov is dealt?

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    worse than the McBain hype which blew a gasket.
    There's still time!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think you forgot to mention just about every other "expert" out there as well.

I really think its way too early to write him off at this point in his career. How has Huberdeau looked this year in his second year? You ready to write him off too? What about Galchenyuk? I could go on but I think you get my point here. Plenty of hype in these young "studs" as well with little to show but are you ready to say you never jumped on their hype train?
    you sound a little butthurt, you musta been one of them I'm guessing -lol

No one's writing him off here, I'm simply preaching a little reality...bottom line is don't gamble on prima donna Russians, it is almost never worth it.
    I think there is a very real possibility that he goes back to play in Russia and we don't hear of him again (cept the Olympics maybe). Even if he sticks, he's no Ovechkin, not even close, he's not even a Semin probably...maybe a Zherdev or an Afinogenov, that's what I'm betting on. I think we'll see his true mettle when/if he winds up on another team, if he gets another chance it will likely be his last.

Oh and comparing him to either Huberdeau or Galy is ******ed, the players are nothing alike nor are the circumstances

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    What I find hilarious (and frankly disturbing) is how many supposed 'Dobber Experts' (many of them writers for that matter!) who were painting him as the next Ovechkin...just like the Filatov hype, just like the Radulov hype before that. WTF? Where are they now? Where's the accountability? The dude scored 24 pts this year and was a -33, gimme a ****ing break, it will be a miracle if he stays in the NHL, forget about the Oilers.

The Lesson: believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see...boy am I glad I never hopped on this hype machine

yakupov: -33
    ovechkin: -35

i'd say the comparison isn't that far off at least in one category...

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

While I don't put much stock in mcgoo's rant... I managed to jump
    The yak attack ship for the much smoother and easier to like Jordan Ebs. Now I don't care how good or bad he is down the road. I'm forgetting ever having owned him.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    yakupov: -33
    ovechkin: -35

i'd say the comparison isn't that far off at least in one category...
    oh c'mon, that was a complete anomaly, he scored 51 goals for crissakes...Ovie is never going to be a monster in +/- given the way he plays and the mins he plays but this year's stat was a complete and utter anomaly...just like the year Cheechoo scored 50+, it will never happen again

Dobber Sports Legend

Even if he sticks, he's no Ovechkin, not even close
    Agreed. Ovechkin is (and was) a 50-60 goal, 110+ point talent. He's a major award winner and will go down as one of the best goal scorers of his era, perhaps ever. The comparisons and expectations for Yakupov were out of whack from day one. Could he one day put up Rick Nash numbers? If he pans out, I'd say yes. But Ovechkin numbers are completely out of his reach IMO.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Dobber Sports Deity

you sound a little butthurt, you musta been one of them I'm guessing -lol

No one's writing him off here, I'm simply preaching a little reality...bottom line is don't gamble on prima donna Russians, it is almost never worth it.
    I think there is a very real possibility that he goes back to play in Russia and we don't hear of him again (cept the Olympics maybe). Even if he sticks, he's no Ovechkin, not even close, he's not even a Semin probably...maybe a Zherdev or an Afinogenov, that's what I'm betting on. I think we'll see his true mettle when/if he winds up on another team, if he gets another chance it will likely be his last.

Oh and comparing him to either Huberdeau or Galy is ******ed, the players are nothing alike nor are the circumstances
    LOL! No, I am not butthurt and I don't think I was one of them. I was simply saying that it's way too early to write him off. He had a good rookie season under Krueger and when Eakins came in, he obviously saw things he didn't like for his system and it certainly affected his ice-time and probably some of his confidence. New coach, new philosophy and all of a sudden he's being written off.

And as far as comparing him to Galchenyuk and Huberdeau, I was simply stating that all three have struggled in their sophomore season. I was in no way saying they are the same type of player, but they are certainly all struggling in year 2 of their young careers.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

And as far as comparing him to Galchenyuk and Huberdeau, I was simply stating that all three have struggled in their sophomore season. I was in no way saying they are the same type of player, but they are certainly all struggling in year 2 of their young careers.
    Yeah, I get that but other than being 2nd year guys I don't think there are many similarities.

Galy was banged up most of the year and never seemed to really get going. Even so he was on a 40pt pace which is not bad at all for a 2nd yr player. Also they brought in Briere and Vanek above him on the depth chart this year, so even though he got more ice time, I think he would have been better off had the Habs not signed anyone and he and Gallagher had been allowed to fully continue their progression from last year.

Huberdeau is a different matter altogether but I think if you're looking for reasons you gotta start with the Panthers first and foremost. The top scorer on FL this year had 38 pts! 38! You also have to remember that he had major hip surgery in the offseason. So not only was his conditioning lacking but it's rare that a player comes back after a big surgery and plays at the same level the first year back, it tends to take a whole season to get back to form.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm not worried about Galy or Huberdeau but Yakupov is another matter

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

What I find hilarious (and frankly disturbing) is how many supposed 'Dobber Experts' (many of them writers for that matter!) who were painting him as the next Ovechkin...just like the Filatov hype, just like the Radulov hype before that. WTF? Where are they now? Where's the accountability? The dude scored 24 pts this year and was a -33, gimme a ****ing break, it will be a miracle if he stays in the NHL, forget about the Oilers.

The Lesson: believe nothing of what you hear and only half of what you see...boy am I glad I never hopped on this hype machine
    I've been pretty high on him since the beginning. But saying that, most people I've read have fully understood that there is an inherent risk to him that doesn't exist with OV, Tavares, Malkin, Crosby....etc. He isn't in that tier.

Starting off in EDM probably wasn't the best (an argument could be made it was one of the worst) situations for a young player who needed more time. I'm not ready to say it's over for him at 20. If he ends up as a total bust it will be a surprise, although not entirely unexpected when we considered the risk to begin with. For me fantasy hockey is all about managing risk and reward, with Yakupov there is plenty of both
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    Agreed. Ovechkin is (and was) a 50-60 goal, 110+ point talent. He's a major award winner and will go down as one of the best goal scorers of his era, perhaps ever. The comparisons and expectations for Yakupov were out of whack from day one. Could he one day put up Rick Nash numbers? If he pans out, I'd say yes. But Ovechkin numbers are completely out of his reach IMO.
    Nash comparison is likely an apt one IMO
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Banned

I'm writing him off. He doesn't have the brains or the work ethic to be a top forward. He can still play in the Nhl though.

The people saying he was the best prospect since Crosby (ahem, Angus, maybe Brendan Ross) were out to lunch

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    I'm writing him off. He doesn't have the brains or the work ethic to be a top forward. He can still play in the Nhl though.

The people saying he was the best prospect since Crosby (ahem, Angus, maybe Brendan Ross) were out to lunch

i'm sure a lot of people were wrong about yakupov, but there is still a lot of time before you can write him off. we all make mistakes, even you do yet you don't ear angus/ross calling you out...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by praba View Post
    i'm sure a lot of people were wrong about yakupov, but there is still a lot of time before you can write him off. we all make mistakes, even you do yet you don't ear angus/ross calling you out...
    Im not a writer.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ev View Post
    Im not a writer.
    For once I agree with Ev...he's exactly right, the forums are for speculation and you have to take every opinion with a grain of salt (oft times a hypertension-sized dose with some posters). But the articles and the guide are supposed to be straight from the mouths of the 'experts' in evaluating talent and potential so they have to be held to a higher standard. If not then why even bother? If you're not going to have accountability when you make wild, unfounded projections then you might as well join that Hockey Writers team and just write whatever unsubstantiated nonsense pops into your head.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

if you expect the writers to be 100% accurate then you're stupid for throwing away your money. no one can give you constant reliable information like that, not even real NHL scouts. of course they will bomb out every now and then, but more often than not their insight is usually informative.

it shouldn't matter if you are a writer/forum member, in fact there are some forum members here that are more knowledgeable than some writers. it's your choice whether you want to listen to someone else's opinion, just don't think there's any need to criticize them if they are wrong.