Thread: NHL.com Rankings.....

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default NHL.com Rankings.....

There are a few head scratchers in the latest NHL.com rankings.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=7...rosite-Fantasy

I'll preface this with the fact it isn't easy to rank players. There are so many different formats and categories used that you'll never get it completely right. I know (having released rankings before) that no matter what you do someone is going to be angry (or more often, lots of poeple).

That said, there are a number of changes I'd make to this list, namely, Mr. Taylor Hall is all the way down at 29. I would have a hard time listing him outside the top 10.

What do you think? Any guys you'd move higher or lower?
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

I...am your father.

Default Re: NHL.com Rankings.....

I only read Dobber's rankings. That guy is great

(Hall is 13th - too much injury risk for Top 10)
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I only read Dobber's rankings. That guy is great

(Hall is 13th - too much injury risk for Top 10)
    haha - took me a minute to realize who had written that. Injuries are certainly a concern, and I may over value potential a bit (see Filatov, Nikita). 29 just jumped out at me as very low for a guy around a PPG with those shot totals.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Cubeta is pretty good... not great.
    NHL.com is linked up pretty solidly with Yahoo!... and I believe their "ranks" are based on the Yahoo! default 6x4 (Skaters: G,A,+-,PPP,SOG,PIM, Goalies: W,GAA,SV%,SO).

His list is a pretty weighted average between:
    *Yahoo's "Rank" for this year's full year statistics.
    *Yahoo's "Rank" Season(avg).
    *Past seasons of Yahoo

Perry(3) & Getzlaf(6) are too high.
    The can be awesome like this year... they've also been awful in the past.
    Both guys are solid candidates for the #7-#15 range though.

Remove those two from the top 8 and shift Tavares/Giroux into there and you've got the "consensus" top six, my opinion.
    And... I even said multiple times that Patrick Kane was sniffing first on the outside of those six... and he's there at #9.

The list overall I think is very, very, very good.

As good a scorer as Taylor Hall is... that +/- can still pull a player's value down... and Hall doesn't exactly PIM much either.
    Yahoo! has him currently at 37 overall this year (32nd among skaters) and I've verified that Yahoo! category score weightings are mathematically appropriate.

If anything, Cubeta's list looks like an Excel averaging... and I think it misses out on capturing young rising players and old declining players.

For example, Mackinnon is currently 36 (31st skater) in Yahoo!.
    Cubeta has him down at 46... probably because there is no weighting from last year... or maybe he's inaccurately including a "rookie projection" among the stats, IDK.

Regardless, if NateMac is #36 right now... I don't see how he couldn't possibly repeat that. He's only going to get better.

Datsyuk at #19 is too high for somebody that will be turning 37... and I love Pavs.
    Parise at #24 is too high with the way Minnesota plays.
    MSL doesn't fit @ #26 while he's rostered on the Rangers. He already doesn't PIM and players on the Rags seem to have their point totals drop the same way as guys that go to MIN.

Spezza at #40 seems to high for somebody that is likely to get injured.
    Iginla at #34 seems too high for his age... even with the incredible year he had.

Marian Gaborik is listed on the Kings at #53.
    I'd say that's the biggest {insert "O" face}.
    Makes me wonder if Cubeta is averaging in the 2011-2012 season... even at same weight as last & current season.
    ??? Doesn't make sense... ol' Gabby ain't comin back... he's gone the way of the Heater.

But that's all nitpicking.
    Overall, it's a very, very, very good list.
    I'd give it an A.

@Penguin

Wow, great stuff in this post. A couple quick thoughts:

- Agree that is high for Gaborik, I likely have him at 70ish (although there is always that upside - he isn't THAT far removed from elite production)
    - Datsyuk seems to retain a lot of value based on name and those fancy "97s" on his resume. I likely have him closer to 40-45
    - Iginla, same as Datsyuk
    - At first I agreed that MacKinnon was too low, but looking at it again it might be wise to use some caution with him. In Keeper pools he is certainly a top 20 asset already, but maybe 40 isn't horrible for 1 years.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The endless debate of Malkin vs Stamkos vs Ovi... lol. I put Malkin 2nd Stamkos 3rd Ovi 4th! Malkin's injury risk stinks but he has the second highest career points-per-game. This year his points per game were higher than the Stamkos and Ovi. I see Ovi as hot and cold still and I think we can see him slump just like he did at the beginning of last year.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov