Thread: Wrestlemania 30 - thoughts?

I...am your father.

Default Wrestlemania 30 - thoughts?

Great start - nice hype/marketing with the Rock, Austin and Hogan.

Nice playing up of Daniel Bryan. I can now see the hype with this guy.

Stephanie McMahon looked hot.

Battle Royal sucked. Wow did that suck. Just....boring. Try this - two 10-man battle royals, the final 3 survivors from each get in the ring for a third battle royal.

Didn't see much of the Diva one

Really enjoyed the HoF tributes and seeing the older wrestlers. Ricky The Dragon! Couldn't believe the gray on Razor Ramon! He and Lita were the entrants that meant the most to me - right in the heart of when I watched wrestling. Ultimate Warrior wasn't really big for me.

Undertaker - solid way to end the streak. Time to pass the torch

Cena match - ho hum

Final three-way match - predictable. Dumb. While I see the hype with Bryan, c'mon. He's not a champion. He was supposed to fight with one arm and I caught him catching himself shooting both arms up in the air in the 'yes' chant.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Wrestlemania 30 - thoughts?

Personally I have mostly stopped following the WWE and I don't pay attention to it much now. But The streak should never have ended. Lots of story lines I have disliked but understood, but this one just doesn't work for me. That was one they could have left as never broken, and should have left as never broken. Personally if I was still a huge fan this would be the type of thing that would drive me to stop watching or paying any type of attention. Just screams of over-thinking it and the writers trying to be smarter than they are. Basically, this is the equivalent of Jay Feaster drafting Mark Jankowski in the first round. Just an all around failure.

Dobber Sports Star

I enjoyed it, but I have seen better.

Loved the opening with Hogan, Stone Cold and The Rock, but I was hoping to see at least one of them get a Stunner.

I thought of the 4 main matches (Bryan v HHH, Cena v Wyatt, Taker v Lesner, and Bryan v Bautista v Orton), three out of four were really good matches. Sadly, the one that stunk the place up, was the Taker v Lesner match. I think that not only was the match methodical and slow and boring, but Lesner is the last guy that should have ended the streak, and in all probability, Taker's career. Lesner is a guy who has shown in the past, that the WWE is not his primary concern, and he is not the face of the future in wrestling. I think that the person who ended the streak should have been somebody who is more of an up and coming force in the WWE. I think that CM Punk would have been a more appropriate person to end the streak last year.

I also think that the WWE needs to do a better job of developing the mid-card rivalries. I have seen events in the past which have been filled with exciting matches and rivalries right from the opening bell. On this event, there was too much filler which doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I also think that Bryan is not the future of the WWE. Yes, he works hard every night so he will always have a spot on the card, but he very clearly isn't a Hogan or a Stone Cold or The Rock. Stephanie and Triple H play it up that Bryan doesn't have the selling features to be the face of the WWE, but I think it's something that the WWE is very aware of. Right now, Bryan is a placeholder until the next big thing comes along.

Overall, Wrestlemania 30 was a solid event, but not spectacular. I give it a respectable 7.0 out of 10.0.

Rylant

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Lesner is a guy who has shown in the past, that the WWE is not his primary concern, and he is not the face of the future in wrestling. I think that the person who ended the streak should have been somebody who is more of an up and coming force in the WWE.
    Completely agree. But the streak ending was unexpected.

And yes, it was slow, but since I watched on my computer, I was able to skip ahead 5 minutes on a couple of occasions...so it didn't seem that way to me

CM Punk? Another guy I put in the Daniel Bryan category - overrated and not sure why there's so much hype. Have the Rock or Cena end it.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    Completely agree. But the streak ending was unexpected.

And yes, it was slow, but since I watched on my computer, I was able to skip ahead 5 minutes on a couple of occasions...so it didn't seem that way to me

CM Punk? Another guy I put in the Daniel Bryan category - overrated and not sure why there's so much hype. Have the Rock or Cena end it.
    I understand what you are saying. I think Punk is more appropriate than Lesner to end the streak, but far from ideal. I don't want to see Cena or The Rock end the streak; I want it to be an up and coming force who could use the bump of ending the streak. Sadly, that person just isn't here yet. Meanwhile, as Taker gets older and older it gets harder and harder to convince us that these wins at Wrestlemania are legit.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I understand what you are saying. I think Punk is more appropriate than Lesner to end the streak, but far from ideal. I don't want to see Cena or The Rock end the streak; I want it to be an up and coming force who could use the bump of ending the streak. Sadly, that person just isn't here yet. Meanwhile, as Taker gets older and older it gets harder and harder to convince us that these wins at Wrestlemania are legit.

Rylant
    Where is Goldberg?

Spear Lesnar, jackhammer Taker, become the new (old) face of the WWE! If anything, they should re-introduce him in a battle Royale format where he demolishes all the other wrestlers. They can also spin a story where ''the bad'' guys are practically invincible and wrecking havoc on all the other WWE stars (i.e. NWO in WCW) and then Goldberg comes out of nowhere to take that organization down one by one!

I miss old wrestling!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

cant believe the undertaker lost. stupid lesner, but i figured it would happen, hes gonna retire and they needed someone to pass the torch too. would rather have seen him retire undefeated but whatever

Dobber Sports Wizard

I don't watch wrestling anymore, but man when I heard the Undertaker finally lost and it was to Lesnar I felt nothing but disappointment. Either let him retire undefeated, or have him lose to someone that actually matters. Lesnar is just so bleh I hate it.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    I don't watch wrestling anymore, but man when I heard the Undertaker finally lost and it was to Lesnar I felt nothing but disappointment. Either let him retire undefeated, or have him lose to someone that actually matters. Lesnar is just so bleh I hate it.
    Couldn't agree more.

It was appropriate for Taker and HHH to both pass the torch, but it should have been to someone meaningful who could potentially be the face of the franchise over the next decade. Not some part-time dude who works for supplementary income whenever he chooses.

Dobber Sports Guru

I think Undertaker and Lesnar are close friends in real life. So if Undertaker wanted someone to end the streak, it makes sense it would be Lesnar.

I did read somewhere that the original plan wasn't to end the streak, but when Undertaker came back and started training, he realized he wasn't able to keep doing these matches, and decided to end the streak. But since the match was booked, they went for it.

Regardless how it played out, there is no way that streak ever ended without the Undertaker being the one to suggest it/push for it.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Regardless how it played out, there is no way that streak ever ended without the Undertaker being the one to suggest it/push for it.
    Vince is an @$$%&/3; I would not bet on it (think Bret Hart or even Hulk Hogan)... He will put business before ''family'' any day of week!
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay