Thread: ACL surgery

Dobber Sports Guru

Default ACL surgery

I'm getting ACL surgery on Monday. Just wondering if anyone else has been through it, and any advice you wish to share? I've been looking online, but I'm hoping to get a more personal feel of the surgery instead of the clinical feel that I often see online.

I'm more curious about how long did the surgery take? How long were you in the hospital before being released? How long before you started walking without crutches? What was the first few days like after surgery?

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: ACL surgery

I had it about 7 years ago.

The surgery wasn't overly long, a few hours I believe. I remember feeling remarkably good after the surgery and wanting to walk and leave as soon as I woke up. They will make you stay for a few hours and then be allowed out in a wheelchair to your car.

They will give you a machine that allows you to exercise your leg by slowly bending it at various angles/speeds, you will use that for a while.

I feel like I needed the crutches for 3 weeks or so it seemed.

First few days/weeks are pretty boring, you won't be able to do any activity involving your leg. I went to physio 3 days a week for an hour each for at least the first few months.

It will be 6 months or so until you can really test it out at all and about a year before you can play any real sport (with a brace).

Just be patient and do what the doc/physio tells you, it will feel 98% in the end
    12 Team Keeper (keep 15)

Team:
    C - Giroux , Stepan, Backstrom, Fisher, Lethera,
    L - Parise, JVR, Perron
    R - Voracek, Kessel, Hornqvist, Yak, Coyle
    D - Subban, Doughty, Shattenkirk, Buff (RW), Burns (RW), Savard

G - Holtby, Rinne, Darling

12 Team Daily H2H Keeper league with Fantrax
    Roster (14 Kept Players + Prospect for that year - Coyle): 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 4D, 2G, 6 Bench
    Categories:
    Skaters -
    G, A, +/-, PPP, PIM, FOW, SOG, HIT, BLOCK
    Goaltenders -
    W, S, GAA, SV%

Prospects - Grigorenko, Krug, Gibson, Duclair, Carrick, Pirri, S. Bennett, B. Bennett, A. Burakovsky, A. lee, B. Ritchie, Pearson, C. Murphy, Plotnikov, Carrick, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dwestbro View Post
    I had it about 7 years ago.

The surgery wasn't overly long, a few hours I believe. I remember feeling remarkably good after the surgery and wanting to walk and leave as soon as I woke up.

Apparently all ACL surgeries aren't the same, then.

When I woke up after surgery my knee hurt like it had taken a bullet. I don't remember anything ever having hurt that bad either before or since.

I was on a morphine drip for about 18 hours and either going home that night or walking under my own power would have both been out of the question.

However, by the next morning I was a lot better and they were able to get me off the morphine drip. They had physical therapists teaching me how to go up and down stairs on crutches by lunchtime the following day and I went home later that afternoon.

My surgeon was extremely paranoid about post-surgical infection (like Rinne ended up with), and he had staff come over and change the dressing a couple of times before I was released.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

I had an ACL replacement (took a piece of my hamstring and gave it a new job as my ACL) nine years ago. The surgery took 2-3 hours if I remember correctly. It was day surgery and I was able to go home the same day. Didn't have much pain at all, which came as a huge surprise to me. I had never been on crutches before, so it took me a little while to navigate stairs. Had to sleep with a "brace" (for lack of a better term) that immobilized my knee/leg. The knee/leg was very stiff the week following the surgery. I think I was on crutches for 6-8 weeks, but my physiotherapist pretty much had to take them crutches away. Mentally, I didn't want to give them up!

I was off work for about 6 weeks. It took quite a while and a lot of physio before I could start feeling confident about using it somewhat normally. I was in my mid-30's, so that may have contributed to a longer healing process than if I was in my 20's. I'd say it took my a good year to start running on it again and I did play hockey again, but I often find myself sub-consciously taking weight off that leg so that if I get hit, it's not going to catch a rut and wreck my knee again! I'm supposed to always wear a specially fitted brace when I play contact type sports, but it's a bitch to put on under your shin pads, so I find that I don't use it when I play.

The best advice I can give you is give it time to heal early on, but go to a good physiotherapist as much as you can when they let you. Hopefully, you will be like me and have very little pain during your recovery. Best of luck!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

The Great One

Never had it but have a speedy recovery.

The Great One

Ditto, all the best to a speedy recovery. The inactivity must be killing you....

Dobber Sports Pro

I had a "bone-tendon-bone" ACL repair a long time ago. It was when the first ACL arthroscopic surgeries were started. I had a great surgeon who actually had done the surgery on NHL players.
    My knee was in really bad shape though, complete tears and not much left. Psychologically I was a bit of a mess because of the way I injured my knee, so I lacked a lot of confidence in my leg when I first woke up. That went away once I started therapy, so start as soon as you can.

I remember the machine as dwestbro mentioned. They had it on my leg almost immediately after I woke up. The more you start moving and improving range of motion the better. I was out of bed on day 2, out of hospital on day 3 and using crutches for about 3-4 weeks.
    I was lucky to get physio every day and was monitored very closely, likely because the surgery was relatively new.

It took about 6-8 months before it was "normal" but I was not back to 100% for about 18 months. By that I mean playing competitive hockey again, with a knee brace of course.

You really need to be aware of your knee and the rehab. Make sure you ask all the questions so you understand what your physio is trying to do. I was also very clear about wanting to play hockey again and we set out weekly and monthly goals.

The process is long and frustrating but it is a highly successful surgery, so keep at it. Learn to listen to your body and if something does not feel right, do not push it, especially in the first 6 months. I found range of motion to be far more important than strength at the beginning, so do not get discouraged if it does not feel strong.

I am sure the success rates are even better now, so be confident that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck.

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks guys. Had my surgery this morning, home already. Just resting up now.

Apparently,today is a day to rest in bed, but starting tomorrow, they say not to stay in bed. I can't walk on it, but I should be moving a little with crutches to keep blood flowing and what not.

So the next few days is a good time to catch up on TV shows, movies, Wrestlemania, etc etc.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Genius

The surgery was a success!

Good stuff, man, all the best in your recovery.

The Great One

Good to hear. Take care of that knee now!

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Thanks guys. Had my surgery this morning, home already. Just resting up now.
    Thanks for the update. Speedy recovery mate!

Dobber Sports Initiate

going in for shoulder replacement surgery next month and came across this thread, had some similar questions as Newf and wonder if anyone has had this surgery with good/bad experiences. thx for any responses are appreciated.
    24 team cap league, HTH Pts. 25 PLAYER ROSTER C3/LW3/RW3/F3/D6/G1

G & A = 1PT.
    HT.BLK.PIM.SOG.=0.05 / PPP=0.5/ FOW=0.01/ +/- =.25
    W=2 SHO=3 SV=0.1 GA=-1 OL=1 SHL=1

Connor - Barkov - Ehlers
    Hagel- Couturier - Tarasenko
    Frederic - Tyler Johnson - Nichuskin
    Vatrano - - Guriano