Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Burnsy talks about battle with depression

I...am your father.

Default Burnsy talks about battle with depression

Former DobberHockey writer Chris Burns, who was actually the first writer I ever added to the site, discusses his depression. Not many funnier guys than Burnsy. Just goes to show - anyone could have this, and you wouldn't know unless they told you.

You just feel - off - and you can't explain it. It really does help to talk. See a therapist - talk to your family doctor and he/she will set you up.

The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Default Re: Burnsy talks about battle with depression

Moving... for sure.
    The depression is so apparent in the manner & words he uses to talk about himself & his life.

"Chris Burns the hockey player was dead... I needed to have the boxer... or the wrestler... a meaning for what I was doing... a reason..." (4:30mark)

It's unfortunate.
    And it's becoming more prevalent in our North American culture where people really start to convince themselves that they need to "be somebody (important)".
    One way or another, life offers us these "highs"... and so many people get a sniff of them and really need to get the feeling back.
    Whether it's drugs, or success, or working out - those little individual victories & highs...
    Are the forced "highs" a balance for the consistent "low"-feeling... or vice-versa?
    As long as there is this feeling of "need" for a "reason" or a "purpose" or a "stimulant"... the depression will remain there.

Gosh - what a struggle.
    I suppose that it's good he has kids. A purpose beyond time at the gym, or the rink, is very important.
    Hopefully some time spent with a therapist will be good.

Reminds me of the terrible Wade Belak story.

Best wishes to Chris in his battle.

Dobber Sports Legend

Chris is brave for sharing this. Eating well and exercising is a tremendous help for those who suffer with depression. He seems to be fighting his demon head-on which is inspirational and it helps that his family are a rock for him.
    8-GM / WK-H2H
    Forwards: G=2, A=1, PP/SH= +1, GWG= +2, Shootout G=1, HT= +1
    D-Men/Captain: G=3/A=2
    Goalies: W=3, OTL=1, SO= +2, SV= .10

Start = 13F, 6D, 2G / Keep 44 (3G)
    Captain: Matthews
    (F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,
    Seider, Edvinsson, Jiricek, Korchinski, Mintyukov, Ceulemans, Hutson
    (G): Shesterkin, Demko, Vejmelka

Banned

Does he have a concussion history?

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by 27Blue View Post
    Does he have a concussion history?
    I'm not sure. But there are many people who battle depression who never experienced a concussion or physical head trauma.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

(F): MacKinnon, Pasta, Marner, Rantanen, Malkin, Barkov, M.Tkachuk, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Gaudreau, Laine, Keller, Miller, B.Tkachuk, Stutzle, DeBrincat, L.Raymond, K.Johnson, Cozens, Quinn, Guenther, Kulich, Cooley
    (D): Makar, Dahlin, Q.Hughes, Ekblad, Rielly, Werenski, Letang, Jones, Chychrun,

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by fungchen3 View Post
    I'm not sure. But there are many people who battle depression who never experienced a concussion or physical head trauma.
    Of course... but head trauma is often an overlooked cause and the treatment can change. I was just curious is all.

Banned

Good on him for doing this, hopefully other guys out there in the same boat will see this.

The only thing I don't understand though is his injury...how is that he was unable to play hockey again but he could become a wrestler? Fake or not, wrestling is not easy on your body.

Dobber Sports Legend

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    The only thing I don't understand though is his injury...how is that he was unable to play hockey again but he could become a wrestler?
    I wonder if it had to do with timing? The video said, "Chris could never play hockey at the same level again." I wonder if the rehab time and damage took away those "evaluation" years of hockey prospects? Seems like he studied martial arts and boxing before contemplating wrestling. Not sure what age he did that.
    8-GM / WK-H2H

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    Good on him for doing this, hopefully other guys out there in the same boat will see this.

The only thing I don't understand though is his injury...how is that he was unable to play hockey again but he could become a wrestler? Fake or not, wrestling is not easy on your body.
    Yeah, he said in the video that if he could go back he'd tell himself to stick with it. Presumably he suffered the injury, quit hockey, slowly worked himself back into shape, figured out he could still do things at a top athletic level and went into wrestling.

I never knew Burns was from Dryden! Fantasy hockey capital of the world!
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by metaldude26 View Post
    I never knew Burns was from Dryden! Fantasy hockey capital of the world!
    There is definitely something to that. When I used to do sim leagues in a group of 20 there was up to three of them from Dryden.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    There is definitely something to that. When I used to do sim leagues in a group of 20 there was up to three of them from Dryden.
    We have literally nothing better to do.

Administrator

We have literally nothing better to do.
    That and fishing (as I open Google maps and see those lakes around town...)

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    That and fishing (as I open Google maps and see those lakes around town...)
    Best fishing you'll ever find! Even the Minnesotans with their 10,000 lakes need to come up here.

Banned

Best fishing you'll ever find! Even the Minnesotans with their 10,000 lakes need to come up here.
    holy shit, you ain't kidding...I looked it up on google maps just now and it's insane...this is just a mere 10 mile radius around Dryden, this goes on and on and on:

7CXFoAe.png

what about the mosquitoes though? are they bad in the summer?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Great post Dobber, thanks for that! I've been battling serious depression for my whole life, and always enjoy reading posts like this.....it's a nice reminder that no one is struggling alone, and that there are plenty of other great people fighting the same battle.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon