Page 51 of 55 FirstFirst ... 41 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

I'm torn. I've both loved season 8 and hated season 8, for all the reasons noted here. I think that was inevitable, though... I've never felt so invested in a show as I do GOT. I can't imagine how the final season could be anything but bittersweet. I know I will be left wanting more- from every storyline, no matter how they end it.

I definitely think HBO over the last 3 seasons HBO seriously diluted the show to appease the social-media-fueled, binge-watching layman fans (non-book readers, non-early season watchers) and that led to some angst for the people who truly appreciated the deliberateness and depth of the plot. Removing a lot of that deliberateness makes it hard to replicate the power of moments the Red Wedding, Ned's death, etc.

I read the books before watching the shows so I'm biased, but once the show got ahead of the books I started to look at it with an asterisk. Once it no longer had true source material to follow it became very HBO-y and not as confident in its roots (aka fantasy epics for nerds).

Still my favorite show of all time though. No complaining here.

Dobber Sports Icon

I look forward to this guy's reviews as much as the show - hilarious!

12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    You have made this point before and it seems strange to me. Some people like Game of Thrones, some people don't. Some people nitpick, some people don't. Some people are able to suspend disbelief, some people can't. For me personally, I still firmly believe that Game of Thrones is amazing, despite some of what I feel are missteps. It is incredibly well-written, well acted and has incredible set pieces. Knowing this, I am the type of person who can't sit back and "enjoy" something if it is really poorly done or stupid. The Dothraki running out into the army of the dead with their swords ablaze and slowly getting snuffed out was ominous, but it was really stupid. I expected more from Jon at the huge battle, other than riding around all episode on the dragon. Everything does seem very rushed this season. Bronn waltzing into Winterfell to confront Jaime and Tyrion seemed contrived. Does all of this mean that the show is not good? No. But I do think that they are legitimate gripes.

Does sitting back and just enjoying things for what they are mean that you aren't allowed to say anything that you think could have been done better?

Rylant
    The Dothraki are a charge army, not a set and defend army. Could they have been on the sides of Winterfell and cross-charged? I mean, maybe. Could they have set ranks and defended like the Unsullied? Well no. I mean if you think they could then you're breaking cannon. Charging was the only option. They could have charged differently i guess, but there were limited options in that regard. Dany and Jon had a plan. Dany abandoned that plan once the Dothraki were snuffed out. From that point on, Jon was reacting to a plan by Dany that he wasn't apart of. Was he intending to ineffectively ride around on a dragon all fight? Probably not, but Dany took off and he chose to protect her. Not to mention nobody was aware the NK could conjure a massive blizzard to end viability. Bronn's entire cannon is that he can stay in the shadows and accomplish what he needs to, but when he does it's a problem. "I'm mad at what I consider bad show writing but I also wish they would have ignored 7 seasons of cannon and character development". I mean I guess man, you do you.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I usually read 3 or 4 "professional" reviews after each episode, and many of those critics have not been writing glowing reviews lately. There will always be staunch supporters of a GoT, and I have no problem with that, but the general consensus among the critics this season is that there are some major flaws in the show, largely to do with the flow and pace of these extended episodes. It is very odd that with so much left in the series, the decision-makers decided to cram what was remaining into a shortened season. I don't know if there's much the writers could have done differently, given the parameters they were forced to work within. I had concerns before the season even started, and unfortunately it turns out those concerns were merited. Obviously not everyone is going to feel the same way, but to me (and many), having the final season crammed into 6 episodes was a task too great for the writers.

That said, I personally feel that despite the inherent flaw of of the show this season, GoT is still one of the best series ever. It does, however, make me wonder what could have been if they had just kept to the original formula and given the final season the air time it properly needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I'm torn. I've both loved season 8 and hated season 8, for all the reasons noted here. I think that was inevitable, though... I've never felt so invested in a show as I do GOT. I can't imagine how the final season could be anything but bittersweet. I know I will be left wanting more- from every storyline, no matter how they end it.

I definitely think HBO over the last 3 seasons HBO seriously diluted the show to appease the social-media-fueled, binge-watching layman fans (non-book readers, non-early season watchers) and that led to some angst for the people who truly appreciated the deliberateness and depth of the plot. Removing a lot of that deliberateness makes it hard to replicate the power of moments the Red Wedding, Ned's death, etc.

I read the books before watching the shows so I'm biased, but once the show got ahead of the books I started to look at it with an asterisk. Once it no longer had true source material to follow it became very HBO-y and not as confident in its roots (aka fantasy epics for nerds).

Still my favorite show of all time though. No complaining here.
    The pace of the show is a legitimate complaint, if money was not part of the show. I mean episode three cost somewhere around ~$100 million. Doesn't matter what the popularity of your show is, that's a lot.

As for the writing I mean. "People employed to write TV scripts aren't as good of writers as one of the most celebrated authors of this generation (who oh by the way also can't figure out how to properly write the end of the series)" is among the list of one of the most amazingly silly complaints I could possibly imagine.

Every fanboy reads, researches, and creates fan theories. If the series fulfills those theories, it's bad because it's predictable. If it doesn't it's bad because it didn't "end the way I though it should have". People who create culturally significant art are in a no win situation. It's the Star Wars conundrum. People can't be happy and it's just too bad.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    The Dothraki are a charge army, not a set and defend army. Could they have been on the sides of Winterfell and cross-charged? I mean, maybe. Could they have set ranks and defended like the Unsullied? Well no. I mean if you think they could then you're breaking cannon. Charging was the only option. They could have charged differently i guess, but there were limited options in that regard. Dany and Jon had a plan. Dany abandoned that plan once the Dothraki were snuffed out. From that point on, Jon was reacting to a plan by Dany that he wasn't apart of. Was he intending to ineffectively ride around on a dragon all fight? Probably not, but Dany took off and he chose to protect her. Not to mention nobody was aware the NK could conjure a massive blizzard to end viability. Bronn's entire cannon is that he can stay in the shadows and accomplish what he needs to, but when he does it's a problem. "I'm mad at what I consider bad show writing but I also wish they would have ignored 7 seasons of cannon and character development". I mean I guess man, you do you.

The pace of the show is a legitimate complaint, if money was not part of the show. I mean episode three cost somewhere around ~$100 million. Doesn't matter what the popularity of your show is, that's a lot.

As for the writing I mean. "People employed to write TV scripts aren't as good of writers as one of the most celebrated authors of this generation (who oh by the way also can't figure out how to properly write the end of the series)" is among the list of one of the most amazingly silly complaints I could possibly imagine.

Every fanboy reads, researches, and creates fan theories. If the series fulfills those theories, it's bad because it's predictable. If it doesn't it's bad because it didn't "end the way I though it should have". People who create culturally significant art are in a no win situation. It's the Star Wars conundrum. People can't be happy and it's just too bad.
    There is no question that you bring up good points. You are right about the Dothraki army being that type of fighting army, it's just that they knew the overwhelming size of the dead. Couldn't somebody have said "Yes, you charge out. of course, you will all die very shortly..." I am not sure that would have changed anything. It seemed really stupid to me, under the circumstances; even knowing that they probably aren't the "Defend the walls" type of army.

Bronn is a stealth guy; you are right. Perhaps I am being too picky with this one. Maybe I don't like that they didn't show any of his sneak, just all of a sudden was there.

I think that part of the reason that people are hyper critical is because of the standard that Game of Thrones has set. It was really good, for a very long time. To see any type of faltering, especially as we approach the end, is disappointing.

Another part, for me anyway, is that I am too critical with these things. Maybe others are too. It doesn't mean that I don't like the show, I just can usually find things to complain about. I still thinks it's amazing and despite the things that I don't like, the show has built up so much credibility with me, that anything I don't like is very forgivable. Sadly, I am not the type of person who can just "sit back and enjoy things for what they are".

Rylant

The Great One

I'm not sure which of your comments are specifically directed at my post, but I'm not being critical of the writers. In fact, I said they have probably done the best they can given the amount of material they are being forced to cover in a relatively limited amount of air time. I don't think it is nitpicking to point out that a show of this magnitude has some flaws. It doesn't mean it is a bad show (far from it, which I have also repeatedly mentioned in the same breath as my complaints).

We won't likely ever know the reason why the decision-makers decided to shorten (and thereby rush) the final season, but if (as you suggest) it was done as a cost-cutting measure, that is a real shame in my opinion.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Ninja

This deadline has caused them to compress what would typically be a couple of season's worth of storylines into a handful of episodes.

At this point they are just rushing to tie up storylines (abruptly removing everyone who doesn't matter to the end story and getting the ones who do down to King's Landing) and the result is simply unsatisfying. There is no emotional investment whatsoever. And yet somehow they are STILL playing it safe. Missandei's death... yawn. Does anyone care?

That scene with Tyrion at the end was stupid. Cersei has a god damn bounty on him for **** sake (and he even knew it by then)... why WOULDN'T she take that opportunity to kill him? What would have been cool was if Cersei unleashed the arrows on Tyrion just as he was turned away right after Missandei's corpse dropped - at that point we all believed he was safe. That would have been unpredictable and consequential.

Dobber Sports Star

People can't be happy and it's just too bad.
    Post after post, you're complaining about people complaining. How does that make sense? You're sad that people are voicing their dissatisfaction with the show, but all you're doing is voicing your own dissatisfaction with them... Why can't you be happy?

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

That scene with Tyrion at the end was stupid. Cersei has a god damn bounty on him for **** sake (and he even knew it by then)... why WOULDN'T she take that opportunity to kill him? What would have been cool was if Cersei unleashed the arrows on Tyrion just as he was turned away right after Missandei's corpse dropped - at that point we all believed he was safe. That would have been unpredictable and consequential.
    When Cersei asked for Missandie's last words I thought for sure she was going to grab Cersei and jump off the wall, killing them both. I was so disappointed when it didn't happen.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    When Cersei asked for Missandie's last words I thought for sure she was going to grab Cersei and jump off the wall, killing them both. I was so disappointed when it didn't happen.
    That would be the Viper vs the Mountain haha
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Immortal

Still just enjoying the ride. Very excited for next week.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    That would have been epic and totally unforeseen (for most of us at least)

Dobber Sports Icon

Some BS how they've treated the dire wolves!
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Master

Dobber Sports Star

Well, just in it for the ride now. Pretty disappointed with this season so far. Obviously the last episode is going to be the Dany/Jon showdown. I predict Jon wins and remains King in the North while passing off the Iron Throne to Gendry. Just out of curiousity, how much fire does a dragon have inside of him, anyway? Don’t his batteries need to recharge or something?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Any chance Tyrion and Sansa actually end up together? I doubt it but it’s a nice thought.

Rylant