Page 49 of 55 FirstFirst ... 39 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

I enjoyed the hell out of it. Edge of my seat most of the episode. It was definitely dark so I can't wait to watch again in 1080.

Dobber Sports Immortal

As he was walking up I had this revelation that Bran was going to face swap and be Arya because that would have been frigging awesome. But then thinking about it today I tried picturing how they would make that work considering Bran is a cripple. Plus it being Bran played into Theon's heroic death.

The Great One

I thought the episode was simply ok...I had a few problems with it, partially because my expectations were sky high.

- I agree that it was too dark. Probably a combination of trying to set the scene (add to the confusion the characters feel while fighting in the dead of night), but also I suspect the darkness allowed them to cut some costs because they didn't have to worry as much about special effects.

- I feel that at least a few significant characters should have died. Otherwise the big battle just seems too unbelievable. As if with all those enemies, not a single central character was killed.

- I really wanted a revelation about who the Night King was. What was his connection to Bran? Why did Bran warf into the Ravens for so long? What was he doing that whole time?

- I liked that Arya killed the Night King, but it would have been better if it was some sort of fight scene. Arya is probably the most skilled fighter on the show, so why not let her show off her skills and kill the Night King in an epic battle.

- I know it was kind of stupid to send all the Dothraki (sp?) into the battle only to have them all die (it wasn't a realistic battle strategy), but it sure was incredibly dramatic.

- In the end, I realize in a strange way that the battle with the Night King was simply a sideshow and the main epic battle is for the Iron Throne, but I do wish we got to see more of the Night King. I wanted to see him killing more people, being way more evil, etc. It seemed like every time they showed him, he was just standing around and not ever fighting.

- I did like the little girl killing the giant by stabbing him in the eye just before he was about to eat her. That was sad and cool. A very heroic way to die for a very heroic character. More characters should have died in this episode in similarly heroic fashion.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Genius

I am with everyone here 6.5/10 for me. I agree more main characters should of died, it would of been true to the GOT heritage, of anything could happen. Really the aftermath with the people that are left, didn't change the plot at all. I thought at one moment when the Night King brought back all the dead from the battle, that maybe just like GOT of old that would be it and everyone or nearly everyone would of died. Leaving us three episodes of who knows what but would of been fitting for the series as whole. Also with the many of us predicted Crypts have the dead arise, should of resulted in some main character getting killed. Missandei, especially if you were going to let grey worm live.

Now the deaths oft the characters who didn't make it were all really well done and fitting. I expect now we will see some real surprised in the next three episodes, as we concentrate back more on the human element of the show.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Ninja

It was ok. I enjoyed it for what it was, but it certainly didn't feel like it was Game of Thrones like it should be. Felt like any old Hollywood style movie where the good guys mostly succeed in the end. Tons of unanswered questions, lots of strange 'huh' moments (like what the heck is the point of Bran at all in all of this - feels like they can't be bothered to even answer that question at this point, but just let him sit in his chair and stare at people), and the "twists' were really not surprising and everyone knew what was coming (the crypts for example).

If anything, this show has made me want to go back and revisit the books instead now. I only made it through the first couple years ago, but hopefully the series will get finished and ended in a way that television cannot do justice.

I expect the next 3 episodes to feel pretty vanilla, with a few deaths (probably a couple big ones), but nothing too shocking happening any more. Prep for the final battle next week, big ole battle the week after, and some final funerals, weddings, etc the final week in a bitter sweet goodbye to the characters.

The Great One

It would have been seriously crazy if everyone died and the white walkers continued on their way to Kings Landing and killed everyone there too...that'd be so dark and would have truly made GoT an even more unique show.

It is too bad that what made the show so unique early on was that no one was safe and even main characters were getting killed. Now, they are playing it way too safe with the main characters.

We do have to remember, though, that for the last two seasons (if not more...I don't exactly remember) the TV show has been going in its own direction without having a GRRM novel to follow. Perhaps GRRM has a completely different (darker) plan for his novels. I know the writers of the tv show have the general idea of how GRRM planned to wrap up his novels, but they might have chosen to go in a slightly different direction, especially when it comes to killing off key characters. TV does tend to generally play it safe when it comes to killing off characters and ensuring there is always a happy ending.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I expect the next 3 episodes to feel pretty vanilla, with a few deaths (probably a couple big ones), but nothing too shocking happening any more. Prep for the final battle next week, big ole battle the week after, and some final funerals, weddings, etc the final week in a bitter sweet goodbye to the characters.
    Unfortunately I think you are correct.

The only thing I wonder about is the growing tension between Danny and Sansa, and potentially Jon as well. I wonder if Danny will still try to take control over everything, and basically turn into her father and brother, and force Jon to kill her. That'd be really cool and bittersweet.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Grand Master

You can't just keep killing main characters. There have to be some left to actually finish the story. The complaint of every battle episode recently is not enough characters have died. Well if Gendry and Tormund and Brienne and Jamie and Sansa and Arya and Davos and Jorah and Beric and Hound etc.etc. had all died in previous battles there wouldn't be anyone left to die in this one. And if they all die in this one, the story is a self fulfilling prophecy because no way are they beating 20,000 gold cloaks with Jon and Dany and a dragon and no army. The next battle scene would be boring as f if everyone died in this one and everyone would complain about that too.

The real thing is people just love to complain instead of just enjoying things. All three episodes have been masterpieces so far.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    You can't just keep killing main characters. There have to be some left to actually finish the story. The complaint of every battle episode recently is not enough characters have died. Well if Gendry and Tormund and Brienne and Jamie and Sansa and Arya and Davos and Jorah and Beric and Hound etc.etc. had all died in previous battles there wouldn't be anyone left to die in this one. And if they all die in this one, the story is a self fulfilling prophecy because no way are they beating 20,000 gold cloaks with Jon and Dany and a dragon and no army. The next battle scene would be boring as f if everyone died in this one and everyone would complain about that too.

The real thing is people just love to complain instead of just enjoying things. All three episodes have been masterpieces so far.
    They don't have to kill off everyone...but it would have been more realistic if at least a couple of main characters had been killed in the battle. I'm not sure that Sam or Brienne even will be the difference between beating the gold cloaks and losing the final battle.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    They don't have to kill off everyone...but it would have been more realistic if at least a couple of main characters had been killed in the battle. I'm not sure that Sam or Brienne even will be the difference between beating the gold cloaks and losing the final battle.
    So the difference between it being a good episode or a bad episode is Brienne dying? Jorah, Beric, Edd, and Theon died, so that's 4. 4 wasn't enough but 5 would have been? Or Brienne and Sam? 5 wouldn't have been enough but 6 would have been?

I could just envision the final episode now. Jon and Dany fly to Kings Landing on the dragons with Tyrion in tow. The last survivors. No army left. They drop Tyrion off and he sneaks into the castle. The battle against the goal cloaks starts. Within minutes, the dragons are shot down by multiple scorpions because that's all they have to focus on. Jon and Dany fight back to back but are eventually overwhelmed. Cersei sit's on the Iron Throne drinking wine and smiling. Tyrion sneaks up behind her, intent on finishing his task. The Mountain takes one swing of his sword and cuts off his head. GoT fans everywhere stand up and applaud because "at least enough main characters died in the other battles".

Dobber Sports Ninja

Actually, I would have LOVED it if they killed everyone off and had the walkers just keep on going. Would have been an incredible (though hard to watch) way to start wrapping things up. As it stands right now, the series is certainly still enjoyable, but for the most part feels pretty formulaic and like we all mostly know where it's headed. That's ok, it's not the end of the world, but I don't think it's unfair to feel like it's not quite what it could be, or perhaps what some would like it to be.

Either way, I watch next to nothing on tv any more, so they are doing lots right to keep me entertained right through to the end.

The Great One

So the difference between it being a good episode or a bad episode is Brienne dying? Jorah, Beric, Edd, and Theon died, so that's 4. 4 wasn't enough but 5 would have been? Or Brienne and Sam? 5 wouldn't have been enough but 6 would have been?

I could just envision the final episode now. Jon and Dany fly to Kings Landing on the dragons with Tyrion in tow. The last survivors. No army left. They drop Tyrion off and he sneaks into the castle. The battle against the goal cloaks starts. Within minutes, the dragons are shot down by multiple scorpions because that's all they have to focus on. Jon and Dany fight back to back but are eventually overwhelmed. Cersei sit's on the Iron Throne drinking wine and smiling. Tyrion sneaks up behind her, intent on finishing his task. The Mountain takes one swing of his sword and cuts off his head. GoT fans everywhere stand up and applaud because "at least enough main characters died in the other battles".
    It was a good episode, but imo it would have been better if there was a higher emotional toll. Brienne is not necessarily an integral character on her own, but her death would have been devastating to Jamie, Sansa, and Arya, as well as us (the viewers). It just seemed to me unbelievable that all the central characters survived such an invasion of undead soldiers with the odds so stacked against them. Instead, they not only won the battle, but pretty much everyone of importance survived.

Anyway, this doesn't necessarily mean it was a bad episode. It was good, but I feel there were some relatively minor flaws, as is almost always the case with a show this size. This is an extremely complicated show and it will always be easy to find something that I'd personally change, but it doesn't mean I don't like the series. Part of the enjoyment is talking about an episode afterwards and discussing the pros and cons, etc.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Initiate

Those unhappy with the major character bodycount (or lack thereof) should note this:

The creators have been working towards and shaping a final endgame in Ep 6. They need certain pieces to be there for that final payoff and plan out the narrative from that endpoint. Your survivors from last night surely have some critical narrative role to play in the next 3 episodes. They're playing it a bit safe/conventional because they have to.

Heck, having the series-long supernatural threat seemingly removed before the series finale is a 100% GoT move. GoT doesn't just get you to the narrative climax and drops the endcredits, they show you the bloody aftermath too. Should be fun no matter the method.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Jenner Frost Novak ---Rossi Cooley MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson Yager
    LW: Caufield Fiala Hagel Nichushkin ---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brink Kakko ---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan Lekkerimaki
    D : Theodore Seider Chabot Gostisbehere Liljegren Carlo ---Edvinsson
    G : Montembault Hart ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Zellweger Fehervary

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts
    2025: 2 1sts, 2 2nds, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Dobber Sports Genius

One more would of done it for me. One character in the crypts, didn't have have to be Sansa or Tyrion. I would of thought Missandei would of had a huge emotional toll. As it is, seeing how Sansa reacted to Theon returning that will be a hard one to swallow.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Star

For me personally, I think there is no question it was a spectacular episode, but I definitely think it could have been better. I will nitpick little things about it (Because that is what I do). It doesn't mean that the show is horrible, just some things that I wish would have been done differently.

I also wish people of more importance would have died. I expected more to. I thought that the episode did a great job of showing the overwhelming sense of dread because of the crazy number of invaders, but the toll seems rather underwhelming when you see the list of big names that didn't make it. Not a deal breaker at all, but something I wish would have been different.

I thought that Melissandre was not done well. She knew she had this huge role to play before the end, and made a point of coming back here before dying. What was that huge role? Lighting the trench that kept the bad guys at bay for like 3 minutes...

I like that Arya killed the Night King, but didn't like how it happened. Agree with the posters who have said it seemed so "Hollywood". How did she get so close with all of those White Walkers standing there?

I thought Jon was wasted. What did he do in the entire episode? Rode around on a dragon in the blizzard.

I wish they would have explained the Night King / Bran thing better. What was Bran doing with the Ravens?

Loved Arya kicking ass in her first major fight scene. Loved Mormont Queen killing the wight Giant before dying.

Rylant