Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 4 44 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: Game of Thrones Television Series Thread (No Spoilers!)

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    So I've managed to binge watch Seasons 2-8 in the last 6 weeks after having stopped watching after season 1, guess there's one positive to being injured haha.

I have to agree that some of the story-telling and character development fell off as the show deviated from the books. I found parts of season 5 & 6 were a little strung out. Then of course seasons 7 & 8 have been very rushed with them being shorter seasons. Still a lot of loose ends to tie up. I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of articles written about questions that were left unanswered (much like Lost).

All that being said, I've thoroughly enjoyed the series overall and can't wait to see how it ends tonight. I can't see them finishing with Jon Snow on the throne but it really does seem to point that way. I can see them having Gendry end up there as I always felt that was the way the books were leading. Given that they are supposedly following a general direction that Martin planned, I could see it happening and they just didn't do as good of a job getting there as he would have.

Interesting side note, there's a rumour that both books 6 & 7 are actually almost complete and will be released shortly after the TV series finale. I really hope so as I would love to see what George R.R. Martin's vision was for the rest of the story.
    That rumour has been squashed, which is too bad. I am doubting whether they will ever get finished, and since the show never had a final season either I don't if we will ever find out what happens.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    That rumour has been squashed, which is too bad. I am doubting whether they will ever get finished, and since the show never had a final season either I don't if we will ever find out what happens.
    Well, GRRM squashed it, but what else is he gonna say? He can’t come out and say yea you’re right. Now do I think both books are actually done? No. Would I believe that book 6 is done and waiting for the end of the series? Probably yea.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Well, GRRM squashed it, but what else is he gonna say? He can’t come out and say yea you’re right. Now do I think both books are actually done? No. Would I believe that book 6 is done and waiting for the end of the series? Probably yea.
    It's not finished.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2...more-nonsense/

Dobber Sports Star

Ok. So, Game of Thrones finale... As most people here realize, I have been one of the ones who has been generally disappointed with this season. I am well aware that it might have been difficult to live up to the lofty expectations. I will remember GoT as one of the greatest TV shows of all time, but wish the last two seasons would have been tighter.

I liked Tyrion finding the bodies of his siblings and his reaction was perfect. It was a quiet and short scene which Dinklage captured the moment well. I would expect nothing less from this world classed actor.

I loved the scene with Dany emerging as Drogon unfurled his wings behind her. Awesome.

Ok. Jon killing Dany. It was supposed to be shocking, but wasn’t. Her descent into madness was so disjointed and illogical to me, it reminded me of Anakin’s downfall. Horribly rushed; it just made no sense. Whatever...

Brienne finishing Ser Jaime's written legacy in the history book was awesome, and a great touch.

Loved Edmure thinking for a moment that he should be King and Sansa shooting him down. Lol. Also loved Sam suggesting they move to a Democracy rather than a Monarchy, which everyone laughed at. I guess Westeros isn’t ready for that yet.

Tyrion is not supposed to be the smartest, but maybe the most clever? And he pitches Bran as king? And the reason, because he has a great story? And everybody buys it? Get the f**k out of here... This felt SO out of left field and like something that they could pick just so they could say “If you think you may know how it ends before watching, you don’t...”. The idea that they decide on a King based on their story is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard, and frankly, isn’t worthy of being in GoT. That is something I would expect from The Walking Dead. Again, whatever...

Tyrion as Hand of the King? Sure. Bronn as Master of Coin? Ya ok. Love that Sam continues as a Grand Maester. Sansa ruling the North as an independent kingdom makes sense. I like it. I like Arya going forth into the unknown. That makes sense. Jon being forced into returning to the Night’s Watch was silly. Is the Night’s Watch necessary anymore? Besides, there is a army sized hole blown into it. Were they planning on repairing it? How long would that take? Jon leaving to go north with the wildlings makes sense. Just out of curiosity, we all know “Winter is coming”. Well, is that it? Did we have the brutal winter already and are we moving into spring now?

All in all, I give Game of Thrones a 9 out of 10. It changed Television for ever. It was epic. The first few seasons were perfect. Sadly, the last season was sloppy and it didn’t get the ending I felt it deserved. I give the final season a 4 out of 10.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    BRAN will rule.
    It is known.
    heh , I liked his response as to why tyrion was chosen to be his kings hand .

because he can spend the rest of his life correcting his mistakes

Dobber Sports Genius

I was happy with the final, giving what it took to get there. Overall I give the final season a 7.5 out of 10 and the series a 9.5/10. Just nothing like it and even this season with it's warts produced some spectacular moments no other show really could. I really liked the Dany speech (even though it's cliche) but you could really feel/see the evil she now was. I also really liked the Jon and Dany scene and her death. I was concerned how they were going to do that and I thought it was executed quite well, with Drogo providing a thrilling finish. After that it was always going to be hard to wrap up the series in any sort of satisfying way. See Lord of the rings. I did like the closing scene with Jon heading to "the real north", I kind of wonder if he's now considered the new Mance Rayder to the wildlings.

I fully expect an Arya spin off but we will see.
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post

I'd take Sansa+Gendry over the field.
    Putting this on the shelf next to my "Andrei Kostitsyn will eventually figure it out" prediction.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by senryu View Post
    Putting this on the shelf next to my "Andrei Kostitsyn will eventually figure it out" prediction.
    Given how awful season 8 was, I think you get a mulligan on GOT. But no mulligan on Kostitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I mean. It’s like you didn’t even read what I wrote lol. What else is he gonna say.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I mean. It’s like you didn’t even read what I wrote lol. What else is he gonna say.
    I read what you wrote. I guess I take the word of the author over anyone else.

Dobber Sports Master

Well........... I enjoyed the finale. Didn't think the last season was very good, but its hard to ruin such a good series. It was a fantastic story, told well. Thanks GoT.

Dobber Sports Deity

I finally got around to watching it last night. To be honest, I was a little disappointed with the ending. It was just melodramatic. Blah. I'm not sure what it was. I guess I expected a bigger bang to finish the show but it was just somber.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Ok. Jon killing Dany. It was supposed to be shocking, but wasn’t. Her descent into madness was so disjointed and illogical to me, it reminded me of Anakin’s downfall. Horribly rushed; it just made no sense.
    I’m not going to address every point, because just complete sigh, but Dany’s descent into madness made complete sense, and has been building for the entire 8 seasons. It wasn’t rushed, it wasn’t illogical, and it wasn’t disjointed. It was the entire culmination of everything that had happened to her and everything she had been told since she was a small child.

I don’t even know where to go with this one because it’s like you didn’t even watch the show.

When you factor in every life event, every betrayal, every loss, and add in that she’d been told her whole life that all the common folk of Westeros secretly pray for her return, and then she actually returns and all these supposed people who had been praying for her are the ones fighting her, it was the only logical result.

Now, fans might hope she would be the most noble of everyone and not meet the same end her father did, but managing to not descend to those depths would have been far more illogical than the actual result.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    I loved the scene with Dany emerging as Drogon unfurled his wings behind her. Awesome.
    Loved this shot. Best clip of the season for sure.

Anyone catch the two water bottles under the chairs during their meeting of who's going to rule...? How many times are they going to miss these things during editing. Unreal.

They had the opportunity to really solidify this show as being the best TV series ever, and I feel like they dropped the ball with the last 2 seasons. All in all, GoT was a solid show, but I doubt I'll give it a re-watch from start to finish.

Dobber Sports Star

I’m not going to address every point, because just complete sigh, but Dany’s descent into madness made complete sense, and has been building for the entire 8 seasons. It wasn’t rushed, it wasn’t illogical, and it wasn’t disjointed. It was the entire culmination of everything that had happened to her and everything she had been told since she was a small child.

I don’t even know where to go with this one because it’s like you didn’t even watch the show.

When you factor in every life event, every betrayal, every loss, and add in that she’d been told her whole life that all the common folk of Westeros secretly pray for her return, and then she actually returns and all these supposed people who had been praying for her are the ones fighting her, it was the only logical result.

Now, fans might hope she would be the most noble of everyone and not meet the same end her father did, but managing to not descend to those depths would have been far more illogical than the actual result.
    Yes, you and I disagree on this one. I am ok with that. The way you present your argument makes it seem like you are right, and I am wrong, and it is borderline insulting. I promise you, I did "even watch the show". I have also read all the books. I don't understand why you have to be that way. Can't we disagree? I also am quick to point out that I tend to be hyper-critical and have admitted that I am aware that I may be hard on the show. However, it's not like I am the only person who feels this way about the way it ended. Do you feel as though anybody who agrees with me that it's like they didn't even watch the show either?

Rylant