Thread: Brent Burns Confuses Me

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Brent Burns Confuses Me

He had an incredible start to the season and was being mentioned among the elite blueliners (for those in pools where he hung onto dual eligibility). Then he cooled off for what felt like an eternity, dealt with injuries, skated on the fourth line at times, and now, miraculously, is back.

The current totals showcase a GOOD season for a guy that entered the year with some considerable uncertainty – 65 games, 23 goals, 23 assists, and 234 shots. Heading into 2014-15 I would watch his positional eligibility very closely. As a winger he’ll be a mid round pick capable of hitting 50-55 points and strong shot totals. As a defencemen there’s an argument for top 5 consideration after the elite guys are taken.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Brent Burns Confuses Me

I don't know, it's not really confusing to me. His recent surge coincides with him receiving first-line minutes and PP1 time with the big boys in SJ. If that happened all season long, I don't think we'd be talking about a lengthy slump. Top minutes for Burns = elite production.

Sucks he took a dip during the middle of the season, but he's playing like a STUD when it counts. If he still has D eligibility next season, I would be drafting him right after guys like Karlsson, Letang, Weber ...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I don't know, it's not really confusing to me. His recent surge coincides with him receiving first-line minutes and PP1 time with the big boys in SJ. If that happened all season long, I don't think we'd be talking about a lengthy slump. Top minutes for Burns = elite production.

Sucks he took a dip during the middle of the season, but he's playing like a STUD when it counts. If he still has D eligibility next season, I would be drafting him right after guys like Karlsson, Letang, Weber ...
    Glad that you are keeping Letang in the elite grouping. I've seen him dropped in too many formats. Agree with you on Burns, opportunity has been a problem. However with the depth in SJ he might move around the roster most seasons.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Veteran

He doesn't confuse me at all....he is 100% beast! His recent surge started with his insertion onto the PP1, which was previously struggling badly. Since the change (6-7 games ago), the PP has been white hot......don't know the exact figures, but gotta be 30+% in that time. PP time directly correlated to increased scoring chances and points......a great portion of Burns' recent point production has come as a result of the PP.

The only thing that frustrated me about this guy previously was his lack of PP time.......hopefully they keep him playing the point there next season, as it really does a ton for his value. I acquired Burns at our trade deadline, and has been one of my team MVP's ever since. So far in the fantasy playoffs, he's been absolutely stuffing the stat sheet: tons of G, SOG, PPP, Hits, and PIMs. Even if he loses his D status next year, I am going to be forced to keep him. 30 goals, 60 points, 300 sog, 250 hits with a nice +/- are all very doable as long as he's playing with Jumbo. I don't know why they would change that next year, as the two Joes and Burns have fantastic chemistry.
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon