I’ve written a bit about Getzlaf of late, asking you to at least consider the idea of trading him. My rationale is that this is essentially as good as it will ever get in terms of production. That, and the fact he’s approaching the always scary 3-0. No, he won’t become a pumpkin (I don’t think) but it should represent the beginning of a decline (Take a lot at SB Nations Outnumbered for some fantastic pieces on aging and its statistical impact.)

One number from ExtraSkater.com that really jumps off the page is Getzlaf’s points per 60 minutes at even strength. Currently he is first in the NHL at 3.21, a full 0.22 higher than the second place guy (unsurprisingly it’s Corey Perry). Taking a look back at his points per 60 minutes in 2012-13 we see the number is 2.30. In 2011-12 it is all the way down at 1.30. I’m sure there are a number of factors playing into this number – Getzlaf increasing his shot totals, Perry scoring over 40 for only the second time…etc

I don’t know exactly how much of a concern this should be. But whenever a player heavily outperforms his regular numbers in a specific area the regression monster isn’t far behind. I’m sure now that I’ve said this in writing Getzlaf will break 100 points next year and I’ll be inundated with hate mail – such is life.