Thread: Giroux vs Kessel

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Giroux vs Kessel

This was a question via twitter in the afternoon. There seemed to be a lot more support for Giroux than I was expecting. For me it comes down to goals and shots on goal. Both guys appear to be in the 80ish point range (granted, Grioux has potential for more). The thing with Kessel is that he is an absolutely elite asset in both shots and goals (two categories that are typically hard to fill).

Conversely, Giroux’s best areas are power play points and assists. I’ve mentioned before how goals, assists, and shots are the core categories for me when making an assement, and they seem to give a slight edge to Kessel with all things considered. That said, I’d listen closely to an argument either way – awfully close one.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

I...am your father.

Default Re: Giroux vs Kessel

If you like upside, it's Giroux. If you like the guaranteed, safe, health - then Kessel and his 82 games a year. Depends on risk comfort level
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    If you like upside, it's Giroux. If you like the guaranteed, safe, health - then Kessel and his 82 games a year. Depends on risk comfort level
    Fair points. The way Giroux has ended this season has me believing that 90 points is attainable again. With Kessel, I like that the entire Leafs offence is built around him (and will be for some time) which should keep his shots and goals high for years.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

I'm biased towards Giroux cuz I drafted him outta the gate in a dynasty league - even made a trade for a pick that resulted in him being on my team. Sat on him for a year....I'm getting misty eyed [sniff-sniff]...discuss amongst yourselves..

If it's goals/assists, i agree with Dobber's take, but once ya get into multi cats I'll take Giroux. In fact, if I can borrow a point that Dobber made in the Stamkos v. Tavares thread, I would take Giroux regardless cuz his upside is better and should he not achieve it the difference is negligible.
    @SmittysRant