Thread: Sleeper Goalie

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Sleeper Goalie

It’s tough to get the “scoop” any more in fantasy hockey. We’ve all got access to boat loads of information at essentially the same time (except for those few years I refused to use twitter and read the paper…I was young, and stupid). So “sleepers” in the classic sense don’t really exist. But I’ll contradict myself (as I often do) and provide one in net for next year – Jacob Markstrom. I know, I know, he’s the huge prospect disappointment that was part of Luongo’s trade. I’m not saying he’s a shoe in to be a starter, heck he might be in the AHL. But he’ll be going up against Eddie Lack for playing time and if Vancouver ever figures it out they have some pieces in place. If it’s the last couple rounds of my draft I’d take a gamble.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Sleeper Goalie

John Gibson could be another that gets his chance next season depending on what happens to Hiller! Also, don't forget about Jake Allen!

Dobber Sports Giant

I'll keep touting Markstrom, I still think he's the better goalie in Vancouver. I've heard some forum members tossing around this notion, one which I like very much, that Markstrom is like Jonathan Bernier going into TOR. I'd expect him to be the starter by next Christmas.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'll keep touting Markstrom, I still think he's the better goalie in Vancouver. I've heard some forum members tossing around this notion, one which I like very much, that Markstrom is like Jonathan Bernier going into TOR. I'd expect him to be the starter by next Christmas.
    I might tend to agree. He has the pedigree and isn't that old. Have to believe the Franchise would rather build around him as opposed to Lack

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    John Gibson could be another that gets his chance next season depending on what happens to Hiller! Also, don't forget about Jake Allen!
    Allen is an interesting one if Miller leaves, although I would think STL throws some serious term at him. Gibson I've been really high on, just need to get Hiller out the way (which the summer should take care of)
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    i'll drink some of this koolaid , as I currently have him as my 4th goalie.

Other potential sleeper, Fasth on Edm - at least get a fair amount of starts next year in Edm.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Allen is an interesting one if Miller leaves, although I would think STL throws some serious term at him. Gibson I've been really high on, just need to get Hiller out the way (which the summer should take care of)
    You think Hiller is a goner?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Fasth...I like him, but don't trust his health.

Markstrom...Eek. Yes. I am in favour of owning him, because I am in favour of owning anyone who was supposed to be really good the year after everyone quits on them. That's how you get Okposo, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Turris, etc. nice and cheap, even if you do end up carrying a few spectacular busts along the way. That said, I would be terrified to carry him as an actual goalie option on a team I was hoping to win with, unless I had lots of fallback plans in place.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime89 View Post
    You think Hiller is a goner?
    I don't see how they bring him back when Andersen there and Gibson en route

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    Fasth...I like him, but don't trust his health.

Markstrom...Eek. Yes. I am in favour of owning him, because I am in favour of owning anyone who was supposed to be really good the year after everyone quits on them. That's how you get Okposo, Wheeler, Pacioretty, Turris, etc. nice and cheap, even if you do end up carrying a few spectacular busts along the way. That said, I would be terrified to carry him as an actual goalie option on a team I was hoping to win with, unless I had lots of fallback plans in place.
    Agreed. He's only good value if you can keep him at the very bottom of your roster. Not worth taking a spot over a vet.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    I don't see how they bring him back when Andersen there and Gibson en route
    I disagree with this train of thought. Anaheim is built to win with their key pieces in their prime. There is no way they will go with a young goalie with little-to-no playoff experience to run with next year. I say they either re-sign Hiller or snag Miller from FA.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."