Thread: How to best use Jeff Skinner.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default How to best use Jeff Skinner.

(Just posted a weekly tune up article, thought I would share some key points)

I go back and forth on him and whether or not Carolina is the best place for Skinner’s fantasy value. There are a couple things that cloud my option. On the one hand, I haven’t loved his spot in the lineup. Right now he’s skating on the third line alongside Nash and Lindholm and has been bounced around a few places in recent months. The problem with playing him on Staal’s line is that they are both shooters, which likely isn’t helping with that whole “chemistry” thing. The second line has been manned by the fantasy albatross that is Jordan Staal (ok, that’s harsh, but man does he frustrate me offensively) and I don’t foresee him having a positive impact on Skinner.

On the other hand, I was perusing extra skater today (something we should all do daily, just an awesome site) and noticed that Jeff has the 4th highest zone start ratio in the NHL, starting 67.9% of his even strength faceoffs in the offensive zone. He’s behind only Patrick Kane, Mike Ribeiro, and Andrew Shaw. He’s getting his chances to be productive, which is likely reflected in his elite shot totals. But I’m still unconvinced this current Hurricanes team is the best location, unless they shift around the Staal brothers, which seems unlikely.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Banned

Default Re: How to best use Jeff Skinner.

He is a terrible fit in Carolina at the moment, but his current spot in the line-up is likely the best fit for him and the team. Skinner is terrible defensively, so he doesn't hurt the team as much as he would facing tougher competition or by taking defensive zone starts. The problem with the Canes is that Semin is the only forward in the line-up with a play-making bone in his body. Skinner is a shooter and he needs someone to get him the puck. Lindholm has a chance to be the best pure set-up man on the Canes, so it gives him and Skinner a head start on gaining some chemistry in a pretty low-pressure situation for their line. In a few years, these two will be the top-line in Carolina (provided the Canes don't make some big moves to shake things up). The thing I don't understand is the drop-off in his PP time... it doesn't make any sense. Skinner is their best goal scorer, their best PP weapon... yet, Muller has reduced his PP ice-time as the year has gone on.

To answer your question, Skinner would be much better off with a true-playmaker at center. MUCH better. It doesn't appear that it is going to happen in Carolina for a while, if ever... so a move would definitely help him now. If Lindholm can become that top-line playmaking center, then Skinner will be just fine in Carolina in a few years time. Skinner can be an elite goal scorer in the league, and people forget sometimes just how young he is. Lots of room to grow here...