Thread: Replacing Malkin

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Replacing Malkin

Just wrote a bit about replacing Malkin (tear) over at Darren's Fantasy Hockey. Thought I would share with the group....

Sigh.

Momma said there would be days like this.

Well, I mean, she didn’t say anything about Malkin specifically, but she would have known he was a tad injury prone.

Simply put there is no way to adequately replace one of the four most valuable forwards in fantasy hockey, there just isn’t. If you’re in the playoffs are about to enter them you’ll have a massive hole in your lineup that cannot be filled.

That said, there are ways to mitigate the loss as much as possible.

Identify the right sub on your waiver wire or free agent list.

Looking at Malkin’s average stats per game he is currently posting 0.38 goals, 0.82 assists, .50 power play points and 3.18 shots. Of course, you’re not going to find anyone available that hits all of those areas. However, the good news is that you can find point producers on the waiver wire, just not guys that do “everything”. Furthermore, Malkin’s 3.18 shots is actually a lot lower than we’ve seen in the past, given that he’s posted over 300 before.

I’ll provide a few options depending on how many managers you’ve got.

Shallow Formats (8 to 10 teams)

Tomas Plekanec 0.25 goals, 0.29 assists, 2.48 shots

Mike Fisher 0.28 goals, 0.31 assists, 2.45 shots

Deep Formats (12 or more teams)

Cam Atkinson 0.26 goals, 0.24 assists, 2.69 shots

Michael Frolik 0.19 goals, 0.31 assists, 2.31 shots

Try to take advantage of your league settings, specifically add/drops.

In most pools I’ve participated in there is a maximum for adds each week. This prevents the phenomenon (or should I say frustrating spectacle) of goalie cycling to occur. Where managers battle to pick up back-up tenders each day in hopes of eking out a few extra starts.

If you’re in a league that has unlimited adds then I would simply move Malkin to the injured reserve spot and pick up a different player each day. This replacement by committee approach should keep you afloat and allow you to target a different guy each night.

Now, most of you will be in regular leagues that don’t allow for those shenanigans. In that case, you can still make use of your two adds to replace Evgeni through patchwork. As the week begins check out the NHL schedule and target Teams that play a significant games Monday through Thursday. Add their best player and then when Thursday comes around drop him for a team with a favorable matchup over the weekend (ideally one of the clubs that plays on Saturday and Sunday). Employing this strategy could net your 5 or so games as a substitute for the big Russian.

It’s always darkest before the dawn, keep your chin up, *enter additional platitudes here*

Judging from some of the messages I’m seeing on twitter many poolies are feeling down about their team today. I get it, you spend the whole year building towards the playoffs and have the rug dragged out from beneath you right at the end. But it’s not over, yet, and it wouldn’t be fantasy sports if miracle comebacks didn’t happen now and then.

Through it all it’s important that you remember…. They can take our Malkin but they’ll never take OUR FREEDOM! “
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: Replacing Malkin

Solid post all-around. I'd like to give +Rep, but I need to spread it 'round a lil' bit. Cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Solid post all-around. I'd like to give +Rep, but I need to spread it 'round a lil' bit. Cheers.
    Thanks man, appreciate the kind words.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Dobber Sports Padawan

Great post. I'm a huge supporter of Malkin, and when healthy, he is pretty much the second best player in the world. However he has cost me some serious points. I am tied for first and already lost 2 wins by 2 points when I dressed an injured Malkin lol. Would a trade for Mackinnon or Giroux plus a first be good?? (Kane, Duchene, Seguin, etc maybe possible?)

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I hold out hope he magically becomes capable of playing at least 70 games. Still think he is gold just can't handle the injuries anymore.
    10 Team keeper league
    (9F, 4D, 2G, 4 bench, 2 IR)
    H2H
    Goals-1, Assists-1, PPP-0.5, SHG=1, Hits-0.05, BS-0.05, Shots-0.05, Wins-2, Shutouts-2, Saves 0.01, Defenseman Pts-0.5

Keep 6 (potentially 7 with a vote pending)

2012/2013: 4th in reg season, 2nd in playoffs
    2013/2014: 1st (t) reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2014/2015: 1st reg season, 4th in playoffs
    2015/2016 7th reg season (third highest PF)

Crosby, Malkin, Laine, Getzlaf, Radulov, Arvidsson, Rantanen, Bailey, W. Karlsson, Ducehene,Haula,
    Klingberg, Suter, Trouba, Ekblad, Provorov
    Holtby, Talbot, Varlamov

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post
    Great post. I'm a huge supporter of Malkin, and when healthy, he is pretty much the second best player in the world. However he has cost me some serious points. I am tied for first and already lost 2 wins by 2 points when I dressed an injured Malkin lol. Would a trade for Mackinnon or Giroux plus a first be good?? (Kane, Duchene, Seguin, etc maybe possible?)

- - - Updated - - -

Or should I hold out hope he magically becomes capable of playing at least 70 games. Still think he is gold just can't handle the injuries anymore.
    If you're going for a championship with a serious shot to win, and you can get Giroux + 1st round pick for Malkin, I say pull the trigger. Still a bit early IMO to say Mackinnon has that much value. Let's just put the brakes on the hype-train juuuuuuust a bit. I LOVE Mackinnon, but I'm not going to send Malkin for him. Giroux and a 1st? That's something I'm willing to consider.

cheers.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Superstar

Got a guy in my $ pts league battling for first, who has Malkin and Mike Smith, ouch, and is up against the salary cap. Trade deadline over and only weekly moves. Better hope he can hang in for top 4 money places.
    Greiss is available as f/a, maybe his competition will claim him. Going to be interesting.
    Piranha Hockey League est 1990 - Oakley Doakley's - 16 teams
    Pts only W=2 OL=1 SO=3 Auction Draft

WHL - est 2016 Expansion - Glasgow Kiss - 24 teams
    25 pro players / 10 minor league players
    G,A,+/-,PPP,SOG,Hits,Blk,PIM,FOW, W,Sv,GA,SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Jordyr77 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

The thing with injuries is that I don't know of many guys that can avoid it altogether. Even 4 years ago Malkin was considered a healthier option than Sid. You could go through the trouble of dealing him for say Giroux, then end up with the situation reversed. My opinion is stick with the most talented guy, and hope Malkin can give you 70ish games.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Magicstew View Post
    Got a guy in my $ pts league battling for first, who has Malkin and Mike Smith, ouch, and is up against the salary cap. Trade deadline over and only weekly moves. Better hope he can hang in for top 4 money places.
    Greiss is available as f/a, maybe his competition will claim him. Going to be interesting.
    That's brutal. Although I am a fan of both Greiss and PHX's system, so if he can make that move there is hope.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    If you're going for a championship with a serious shot to win, and you can get Giroux + 1st round pick for Malkin, I say pull the trigger. Still a bit early IMO to say Mackinnon has that much value. Let's just put the brakes on the hype-train juuuuuuust a bit. I LOVE Mackinnon, but I'm not going to send Malkin for him. Giroux and a 1st? That's something I'm willing to consider.

cheers.
    I guess it would depend on how close you are this year. Dealing Malkin for Giroux and a pick likely hurts you the next 5ish years. Would need to be sure you're that close to winning IMO