Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Big fantasy book endeavor

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Big fantasy book endeavor

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I just meant that, with one movie per year for the foreseeable future, they would absolutely come around to bringing in Thrawn and later the lost Sith. They need bad guys! (if you consider Thrawn a bad guy...which I don't...but I have a feeling in the trilogy ahead that I haven't read yet, that he becomes one)
    Yeah, they might, but it's not a guarantee. I went and did some digging and only found stuff like this:

http://thehothspot.com/2014/01/07/ri...nded-universe/
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

Nice link. I'm safe so far - that's "every book after Return of the Jedi". I agree though - so much needs to be cleaned up, so many things just don't jive. But considering all the things that needed to be tied together, I think they've done a fabulous job of it in the EU and I think the talented writers of EU can swing the story around to meet the needs of the movies.

On a somewhat related note, the author Karen Traviss has written some great military-style books (Republic Commando/Imperial Commando). But she quit before writing the sixth book because of Star Wars changing the related stories on her. And Book 5 literally ended with a cliffhanger. She was just frustrated that when she would write the story around an event or character outside of the book, they would change the event or character. Or she would describe how the culture of X loved doing Y...and then the Clone Wars TV series would say that the culture of X hated doing Y. I can see how that would eventually piss a writer off. Based on all this info, it looks like some more of that will happen
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Sorry Dobber, the expanded universe is dead. The new movies will disregard it completely and start its own canon.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...iverse-Is-Dead
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

Thanks for this. I'll still read them. Currently I'm about one year past Revenge of the Sith, or 91 books, so I don't think this impacts me until around 130

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    Sorry Dobber, the expanded universe is dead. The new movies will disregard it completely and start its own canon.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...iverse-Is-Dead
    IMO Episode VII is already dead on arrival just by virtue of Disney having their claws into it. All I'm hoping for is that it's marginally better than the last 3, I think that would be considered a major victory at this point

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by mister_mcgoo View Post
    IMO Episode VII is already dead on arrival just by virtue of Disney having their claws into it. All I'm hoping for is that it's marginally better than the last 3, I think that would be considered a major victory at this point
    I think the opposite way. I look at how Disney has handled the Marvel franchise and I'm very hopeful for how they'll handle Star Wars.
    GO WINGS!

I...am your father.

I agree. Did well with Marvel so far, and as a father who has seen Frozen about 10 times over bits and pieces of my daughter watching it 200 times, I have to say that they did a great job with that too - and I'm talking writing (comedy - made me laugh a couple times, which would normally be impossible for a disney movie), animation, and of course the ever-famous songs. It makes me feel as though they have put together a very talented team in every aspect of entertainment - from writing on through to special effects.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

This really makes me want to dig in, but man does that sound time-intensive and expensive. Lots of books to buy unless you go down the illegal download route.

Dobber Sports Veteran

The books start 25,000 years before a New Hope and the dawn of the Jedi Order. I couldn't find that book,
    Do you check amazon? I use amazon for all books that aren't at the library. You can typically grab a used book for just a few dollars.
    If you are in Canada, the first book you were looking for can be found here.
    If you are in the US, you can buy it here.

I love amazon. Cheap, easy, and a great way to keep spreading around used books!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dakkster View Post
    I think the opposite way. I look at how Disney has handled the Marvel franchise and I'm very hopeful for how they'll handle Star Wars.
    that's true, and to be fair it can't be any worse than leaving the franchise in Lucas' hands can it?
    I'm still shellshocked I guess so I'm prepared for the worst and hoping for the best

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    This really makes me want to dig in, but man does that sound time-intensive and expensive. Lots of books to buy unless you go down the illegal download route.
    Also libraries

Downloading books are a funny thing - I go to the library, get a book, read it, return it. I go online, download a book, read it, delete it. In Canada, both are legal. Not so in the US.

I...am your father.

Dak - here is a very in-depth account of what Star Wars will do, and the good/bad of what we could lose:

http://kotaku.com/star-wars-lore-is-...ium=Socialflow

It sounds like some of the books ahead are pretty jumbled and confusing - anything written in the 80s/90s pretty much.

So far, my books are mostly 1998 and beyond, so much more organized. But I believe the first Han Solo trilogy is coming up within a couple of books so the confusion could start soon

Dobber Sports Ace

Here's the list I go by. I ignore the games, comics and graphic novels.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_books

It looks like I'm about halfway down, so maybe 200 is a better number. Good! Maybe I can get done before 2016

The first book wasn't out yet when I started. I just haven't gone back to it yet. And there was a Darth Maul book out that still hasn't made it to Kindle, that would have been around book 75 or so
    That's a big project, I applaud the effort. I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and while I've read most of the books, I haven't neared that many.

Thrawn series is fantastic, the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion is pretty interesting (the least of which is the absolute huge story arc its a part of) and deal with a lot of interesting moral questions. Also give the Legacy of the Force series a chance. It's far from the worst series in the universe and it's not as bad as Kotaku made it out to be.

But if I have one suggestion, it's give the Star Wars Legacy comic books a chance. They are fantastic. Set far into the future they actually have threads that stretch as far back as pre-Empire.
    14T BiWeekly H2H. 4 C/RW/LW, 6 D, 2 G
    Cats:G(3), A(1.5), PIM(0.2), PPP(1), SOG(0.2), GWG(1), SHP(2), Hits(0.3), BkS(0.4). W(2), SO(2), OTL(0.5), SV(0.2), GA(-1), L(-1). 9 Keepers in Bold. 12 player Farm team (skaters under 110, goalies under 80 gp) in italics

LW - Gaudreau, Forsberg, Parise, Hyman (C)
    C - Backstrom, Getzlaf, N Foligno (LW/RW), Kotkaniemi, Carter (LW/RW)
    RW - Tarasenko, Rantanen, Arvidsson, Atkinson, Gourde (C/LW), Mikheyev (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Ellis, Klingberg, Fox, Andersson
    G - Murray, Grubauer

Prospects -Rossi, Turcotte, Kravstov, Tippett, Bouchard, Lehtonen, K Miller, Addison, DeSmith, Kahkonen, Ingram, Gustavsson