Thread: Spezza for Malkin

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Spezza for Malkin

Hey guys need a little advice...

I am currently in a points only pool, and I have Malkin on my team. I am huge Senators fan and I would love to swap Spezza/Malkin to have Spezza and Heatley on my team but hockey sense has kicked in. I know Malkin is worth more but how much more...I was thinking of offering a two for two trying to get another upgrade in the deal.

I am being stupid by even considering to deal Malkin?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:Spezza for Malkin

The deal would really have to pay immediate dividends in order to move Malkin. In our pool Malkin was just traded for Kopitar, Radulov, and a 1st round pick. A 2nd round pick and some cash also went the other way with Malkin.

Kopitar and Radulov are going to be good, but letting Malkin go is a tough call. The rest of us in to pool were a little unhappy because the guy he traded Malkin to already has Crosby, Gonchar, Ryan Whitney, Spezza, Heatley, Backstrom, Nash, Semin, Jordan Staal.

But the rest of us did not have a Kopitar and Radulov to offer in exchange for Malkin either.

If you do want to move Malkin for Spezza, I would look for something else in return as well.

Post edited by: GoJetsGo, at: 2007/07/18 13:23

Dobber Sports Icon

celly wrote:
    Hey guys need a little advice...

I am currently in a points only pool, and I have Malkin on my team. I am huge Senators fan and I would love to swap Spezza/Malkin to have Spezza and Heatley on my team but hockey sense has kicked in. I know Malkin is worth more but how much more...I was thinking of offering a two for two trying to get another upgrade in the deal.

to put it simply: Yes, you are being stupid for considering this. I\'m not calling you a stupid person, because everyone has a brain fart every now and again, but this is just not a good deal to even consider without some MAJOR alterations.

I would never deal malkin for spezza... not unless ovechkin or crosby also came along with Spezza in the deal.

Spezza is a band-aid boy (he has only one season out of 4 in which he played 70+ games), he is 24 years old (3 years older than 21 year old malkin), plays on a team that could very well be torn apart by the salary cap as soon as next year (both he and heatley are free agents next season), and only put up 55 points in his first full season in the nhl (malkin got 85).

Add to this stuff the fact that malkin plays on this deisel pittsburgh team, which will be amazing for at least 3-4 more years, and you have a terrible looking deal...

spezza (to me) is actually one of those players that I\'d try to get rid of if he were on my team because of his \"high value\" coupled with injury problems. He to me is like gaborik, havlat, etc... I wouldn\'t actively try to pursue him at all, and would only accept an offer including him if the deal were really, really good.

This deal is NOT good. Try not to let your personal feelings affect your fantasy choices. That is the quickest way of screwing up your team (I love watching adam foote play, but I wouldn\'t ever consider him for my fantasy roster)...

Malkin goes in the same category as Ovechkin and Crosby (untradeable unless the offer is astounding). I wouldn\'t take this deal unless there were two or three \"spezzas\" coming to you in return.

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/07/18 13:37
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I needed that thanks. Usually I am pretty good at seperating my personal thoughts vs my Hockey sense but since I am a huge fan sometimes its hard to do so.

Dobber Sports Icon

No problem... I have problems sometimes too... Like the fact that I\'ve never had Jagr on any of my fantasy teams because I think he\'s a little B*tch :angry: .

I\'ve bit the bullet on numerous high scoring seasons, because I just wouldn\'t be able to forgive myself if I had him. I\'d rather lose my keeper league than give up on my beliefs you know?

lol.

12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I\'m definitely with Lanky on this one.......Keep Malkin!!!

But, if you really like Spezza try to trade for him using other players and assets.........Spezza IS one of the best players in the league and as long as he plays 65+ games he will score 80-100 points or more a season for the next five years.........But, based on past injuries, we have to assume that he\'ll miss more time than most guys. If I had an older top-tier (non-Crosby, Ovechkin or Malkin) asset like Martin St. Louis or even Marc Savard I might try to use that player to land Spezza.
    Six-Team League (8 keepers; 25-player roster; minimum of 4 defencemen; 1 team/goalies; bottom five players do not count in point totals)
    **Crosby, Benn, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Mackinnon

Also as a huge Sens fan you know that Spezza was in trouble with the coach (now GM) for some of his terrible give aways Ooops passing and his poor defensive play. I know this won\'t affect his points much other than the occasional benching, but it might be his ticket out of Ottawa if and when they don\'t have money for all their FA\'s.

Dobber Sports Stud

You summed it up correctly in the first instance. Don\'t trade Malkin.

Leafsfan64,

I\'m not sure Spezza\'s past defensive liablities are much of an issue at this point -- aside from he and Heatley coming up short in the Finals and the injury time, Spezza had a great year.

He was a different player defensively this year......It was widely documented that he made great strides in becoming a more complete player, especially in the second half of the season. I really don\'t see Ottawa letting him go -- he is the team\'s present (along with Heatley) and future.
    Six-Team League (8 keepers; 25-player roster; minimum of 4 defencemen; 1 team/goalies; bottom five players do not count in point totals)
    **Crosby, Benn, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Tarasenko, Gaudreau, Kopitar, Mackinnon

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Being a huge Senators fan, although unlikely, what will happen to Spezza is Heatley leaves as a UFA? I wouldn\'t risk this deal for that reason and the fact Spezza is a bit of a band-aid boy.

I...am your father.

Celly wrote:

Ummm...are you new to this site Celly? haha :laugh:

I wouldn\'t do it for THREE Spezzas!
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

If you want Spezza, I would approach the other owner with an offer invoving different player(s) than Malkin, then allude to the fact of what Lanky already touched on about \"Spezza being injury prone and Ottawa facing cap crisis next year. If he is not to astute, he may decide he better take what he can get for Spezza while he can... Good luck...let us know how it turns out.

Dobber Sports Rookie

If it ain\'t broke then why fix it? Malkin is going to be apart of a dynasty, not to mention playing along side the best player in the world. No question, Spezza can put up equal numbers, but down the long stretch.. believe me, you\'ll be glad you kept Malkin....85 points Rookie year!! I can only imagine what he\'ll do in a few years.

Dobber Sports Sophomore

The only way I would do this deal is if someone else is involved as well. Anyone that follows hockey know s the promise of Malkin, and Spezza for that matter. The unknown is the fact that Malkin has over Spezza. IF you really want to get Spezza then I would try to get something else in the deal as well.

Thinking with your heart is something that you have to be careful with, especially when your giving up something as valuable as Malkin.