Thread: The Mighty Ducks - best fantasy option???

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default The Mighty Ducks - best fantasy option???

We both know you've thought about it before, I recently endulged in some nostaliga and tried to decide which Mighty Ducks actor would have been the best fantasy play over at www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Who would you take? (No, you can't say Goldberg, aka. Raycroft.)

You thought I meant Getzlaf and Perry didn’t you? I was organizing some VHS tapes the other day (for you kids out there these are rectangular shaped boxes that contain film) and came across the Mighty Ducks trilogy. Which for anyone born in the 1980s is…. wait…scratch that. Which for anyone born on EARTH is an absolute must watch and was likely a big part of your childhood. How else would we have learned that simply stick handling the puck back and forth could create the unbeatable triple deke? Or that five players skating into the offensive zone in a “V” formation would somehow not be called offside? Ah memories. All this got me thinking about which player would have been the best fantasy own. My first thought was Adam Banks. Generally considered the most talented forward and proven scorer on the team. I could see 35 plus goals and production similar to say a Thomas Vanek. However, the best asset in your pool (assuming it is multi-category) would have to be Charlie Conway (Captain Duck!). While he may not be as skilled Banks, he can be a bit selfish at times, which should boost his shot totals. Additionally, he’s prone to the odd outburst and would be a reliable source of PIMs, and maybe even a misconduct every now and then.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Giant

Default Re: The Mighty Ducks - best fantasy option???

I respectfully disagree on your proposition that Charlie Conway would be a good source of PIMs ... that kid has some serious integrity. Charlie Conway is like Tyler Bozak to Adam Banks' Phil Kessel, though, in terms of raw skill. Conway would be a 55+ player with elite FW numbers, decent peripherals, and he would be the top goal-scorer's best friend. Huge contract for Conway, of course. Some would argue that might make him lazy in the long run, but if you've seen the movies you know up to this point he's given his heart and soul on every shift. I'd probably prefer Banks if I had to choose an offensive option, although I'm concerned with his injury history. He was taken out HARD in that championship game against the Hawks, and one has to believe that Banks is just one hit away from long-term IR. Your comparison of Vanek is a pretty good indicator of his BAB status, but I think Banks is definitely well over a point-per-game player (40+ goals) when healthy.

Honestly, if we're talking dynasty league starting today with any Mighty Ducks player to build around I might have to go with Julie "the Cat" Gaffney. That chick was an absolute stud in goal, putting up elite numbers -- albeit over a brief career -- against guys twice her size and strength. Not to mention her dazzling performances against the Eden Hall boys Varsity team and Team Iceland in international competition ... To be able to add a stud netminder like that, one who is only a teenager with like a bazillion prime years still left, is invaluable to any team building from the crease.

SLEEPER PICK:

If you're looking for the next Radko Gudas, look no further than Fulton Reed. Once rumored to be ineligible for hockey due to his impending D1 football scholarships, Fulton Reed blasts his way into sleeper status with his devastating slapshot. If you thought Zdeno Chara and Shea Weber shot the puck, you ain't seen nuthin yet. Fulton Reed doesn't just hit the net 1/5 times and execute a perfect "Statue of Liberty" play with the Duncan siblings, he also puts up ELITE Hits/Blks/PIM totals, so he's basically a serviceable #1 Dman in ROTO leagues who will probably be available in the later rounds of your draft.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Stud

Depending upon if your league counts Knuckle Pucks as a category, Russ Tyler might be a solid option. Dean Portman could be a solid multi-cat guy if he could improve his offense.
    The Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League. (Keep 17)
    3C 3LW 3RW 6D 2G 6BE.
    G,A,+-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT; GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV, SV%,SO
    (C) Kopitar, Kuznetsov, O'Reilly, Karlsson, Roslovic, Zacha
    (LW) Ovechkin, Forseberg, Bertuzzi(RW),
    (RW) Rantanen, Bratt(LW), Radulov
    (D) Josi, Burns, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, Heiskanen, Dunn, Boqvist
    (G) Gibson, Quick, Hart, Petersen
    (IR) Domi

10 Person Farm: (<200GP for F, <100GP for G)
    (C) Zegras(LW), Bourque
    (LW) Kaliyev(RW)
    (RW) Glass(C), Raymond(LW)
    (D) Power
    (G) Ingram, Knight, Levi, Primeau

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I respectfully disagree on your proposition that Charlie Conway would be a good source of PIMs ... that kid has some serious integrity. Charlie Conway is like Tyler Bozak to Adam Banks' Phil Kessel, though, in terms of raw skill. Conway would be a 55+ player with elite FW numbers, decent peripherals, and he would be the top goal-scorer's best friend. Huge contract for Conway, of course. Some would argue that might make him lazy in the long run, but if you've seen the movies you know up to this point he's given his heart and soul on every shift. I'd probably prefer Banks if I had to choose an offensive option, although I'm concerned with his injury history. He was taken out HARD in that championship game against the Hawks, and one has to believe that Banks is just one hit away from long-term IR. Your comparison of Vanek is a pretty good indicator of his BAB status, but I think Banks is definitely well over a point-per-game player (40+ goals) when healthy.

Honestly, if we're talking dynasty league starting today with any Mighty Ducks player to build around I might have to go with Julie "the Cat" Gaffney. That chick was an absolute stud in goal, putting up elite numbers -- albeit over a brief career -- against guys twice her size and strength. Not to mention her dazzling performances against the Eden Hall boys Varsity team and Team Iceland in international competition ... To be able to add a stud netminder like that, one who is only a teenager with like a bazillion prime years still left, is invaluable to any team building from the crease.

SLEEPER PICK:

If you're looking for the next Radko Gudas, look no further than Fulton Reed. Once rumored to be ineligible for hockey due to his impending D1 football scholarships, Fulton Reed blasts his way into sleeper status with his devastating slapshot. If you thought Zdeno Chara and Shea Weber shot the puck, you ain't seen nuthin yet. Fulton Reed doesn't just hit the net 1/5 times and execute a perfect "Statue of Liberty" play with the Duncan siblings, he also puts up ELITE Hits/Blks/PIM totals, so he's basically a serviceable #1 Dman in ROTO leagues who will probably be available in the later rounds of your draft.
    Love the analysis. Great point on Fulton Reed, depending on the league (hits and blocked shots) he could be something else.

The name is escaping me at the moment, but one of the ducks was referred to by as scout as "The best puck handler he had ever seen - for any age group", could mean decent fantasy numbers
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffl97 View Post
    Depending upon if your league counts Knuckle Pucks as a category, Russ Tyler might be a solid option. Dean Portman could be a solid multi-cat guy if he could improve his offense.
    I saw a couple knuckle pucks go in last night across multiple NHL games. So tough to stop because goalies only see them once in a while and the end over end isn't nearly as predictable as a flat saucer.