Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy hockey obsession

Dobber Sports Ace

Default Fantasy hockey obsession

Today I've come to the realisation that I'm completely addicted to fantasy hockey, I think about it during meals, talk about to the mrs (who fakes interest... Awesome chic!), check my league pages ad nausea, including while at work... I'm constantly checking game scores, so much so I think I lost about an hour of productivity today just looking at scores, and there were only 4 games on!! I could go on and on...

It is fantasy hockey playoff time though and 3 out of 4 of my teams did pretty well this year and I've got a real nail biter on my hands in one league.

I'm Pretty sure that if I was as dedicated to work as I am my fantasy hockey I'd be turning heads... This is of course quite concerning. These office days are not productive at all (as an environmental scientist I can spend a lot of time in the field).

Thank jebus the post season nearing, perhaps I'll be able to focus on life once this season ends...

So my realisation is I need help!

Anyone else completely obsessed/addicted?

Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem right?
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

The Great One

Default Re: Fantasy hockey obsession

You're in phase three............................................. ..........

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch View Post
    Today I've come to the realisation that I'm completely addicted to fantasy hockey, I think about it during meals, talk about to the mrs (who fakes interest... Awesome chic!), check my league pages ad nausea, including while at work... I'm constantly checking game scores, so much so I think I lost about an hour of productivity today just looking at scores, and there were only 4 games on!! I could go on and on...

It is fantasy hockey playoff time though and 3 out of 4 of my teams did pretty well this year and I've got a real nail biter on my hands in one league.

I'm Pretty sure that if I was as dedicated to work as I am my fantasy hockey I'd be turning heads... This is of course quite concerning. These office days are not productive at all (as an environmental scientist I can spend a lot of time in the field).

Thank jebus the post season nearing, perhaps I'll be able to focus on life once this season ends...

So my realisation is I need help!

Anyone else completely obsessed/addicted?

Hey, the first step is admitting you have a problem right?
    I've been this way for the past few years now. I had to slice down the number of fantasy hockey leagues I was in simply due to my obsession. At one point, I think I was running 8 keeper teams. Ugh! I couldn't stop. As soon as someone posted an ad in the classified, I was all over it and running a new team. I'm still in a grand total of 5 keepers but the one in my sig (the only one I pay to play in) is low maintenance so really I only have to deal with 4. I enjoy all 4 leagues I am in so I don't see me turning in any of those teams anytime soon.

I don't talk to the wife about it very often, unless its draft time or trade deadline time and I have to explain to her why I am staying up later then normal. Luckily the guys I work with are all sports nuts for the most part so I get my spewing done while I am here at work.

You don't need help, you sound like you need another fantasy hockey team!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm in two keepers (formerly three) and four one-year leagues.
    I love it.

One of my life theories is that everybody NEEDS a "filler project".
    Something to allow their mind to drift towards and take seriously... knowing that it is isn't truly a life-serious-item.

Thus, it also acts as a necessary evil.

Fantasy hockey is a really good thing.
    1. There is the strategy & mathematics (number-crunching) behind it. This is good for the mind.
    2. It keeps us in contact with other people of like-mindness: a club. Everybody needs a club to participate in. It is good for self-morale.
    3. It keeps us sharp with recognizing how to "play fair", comprehend rules, and meet deadlines. (Yes, we should be doing our work deadlines, but just managing a roster & scheduling is good practice.)
    4. It keeps our interest in lesser-popular teams like Phoenix or Florida or Carolina. It gives you a reason to root for them. People that spend time invested in watching "all teams", have a much better grasp of a player's true value when compared to the league. I hate to say it, but "homer" fans, that don't participate in fantasy hockey - I've found them to be among the worst of the "hockey fan population" for being able to really gauge a player's value relative to other NHL team players.

Fantasy hockey... it's good stuff... really an all-around good mind-sharpening exercise that increases our general knowledge of the game of hockey.

Sign me up for FHA.

Dobber Sports Star

haha yeah i had this problem a few years ago. ive been trying to cut down on the leagues as much as possible. if i can, i try to pick leagues with easier/less time-consuming scoring categories so im not wasting additional time researching obscure stats.

im down to 4 leagues and another 2 that im co-gm with a friend so i only overview what they do.
    One day I will quit fantasy hockey, today is not that day.

Dobber Sports Stud

Addiction and passion is a fine line. I like to say we're passionate, rather then addicted. We have a vast knowledge of hockey, and its a great way to revel in it. Much like somebody passionate about art would venture out to galleries, our knowledge of hockey plays out in the form of fantasy hockey. Time is going to be used up regardless, on many activities, why not something we enjoy?

If not for fantasy hockey, I probably wouldn't have found this site, which is filled with interesting people who I've come to known-only vicariously through the forums, nonetheless.

But I understand what you mean, I'm in law school, which sometimes conflicts with time spent on NHL.com and Yahoo. But a proper balance can be easily reached! Also, I've learnt not to speak about it with the SO, as glazed over eyes soon come about lol
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm in two keepers (formerly three) and four one-year leagues.
    I love it.

One of my life theories is that everybody NEEDS a "filler project".
    Something to allow their mind to drift towards and take seriously... knowing that it is isn't truly a life-serious-item.

Thus, it also acts as a necessary evil.

Fantasy hockey is a really good thing.
    1. There is the strategy & mathematics (number-crunching) behind it. This is good for the mind.
    2. It keeps us in contact with other people of like-mindness: a club. Everybody needs a club to participate in. It is good for self-morale.
    3. It keeps us sharp with recognizing how to "play fair", comprehend rules, and meet deadlines. (Yes, we should be doing our work deadlines, but just managing a roster & scheduling is good practice.)
    4. It keeps our interest in lesser-popular teams like Phoenix or Florida or Carolina. It gives you a reason to root for them. People that spend time invested in watching "all teams", have a much better grasp of a player's true value when compared to the league. I hate to say it, but "homer" fans, that don't participate in fantasy hockey - I've found them to be among the worst of the "hockey fan population" for being able to really gauge a player's value relative to other NHL team players.

Fantasy hockey... it's good stuff... really an all-around good mind-sharpening exercise that increases our general knowledge of the game of hockey.

Sign me up for FHA.
    Thank you for helping me to justify my obsession

Things really get out of control for me this time of year, haha. I've only got 3 teams on the go, but I've already upped that for next season. I have NHL Centre Ice, which is the only channel my TV has been on for the last month, and I've been watching multiple games per day for a few weeks now.....gotta get my money's worth!

Anyhow, also a fantasy hockey(sports) addict, but as far as addictions go, there are far worse ones to have!
    10 team, head-to-head, multi-cat, keep-12 keeper league. CATS: G,A,+/-,PPP,PIM,SOG,HITS BS,SHP, W,SV,SV%,GAA,SO Daily rosters of 6F, 4D, 2 Flex, 2G

F: Crosby, Hall, Pacioretty, Hartnell, Neal, Nugent-Hopkins, Callahan, Dubinsky, Hossa, Huberdeau, Abdelkader, Bjugstad (IR)
    D: Karlsson, Hedman, Muzzin, Savard, Streit (IR)
    G: Lundqvist, Quick, Condon

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Throw me a life jacket because I'm in the same boat here.. I'm always thinking fantasy hockey, all day long.. I'm always reading stories and trying to find the next Giroux or Karlsson.. I have been obsessed for a while now.. Not sure how many hours I have spent here at Dobberhockey, but im pretty sure I own shares, HaHa..

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

I totally hear ya ... I'm so obsessed with it too! I can't stop thinking about it and contemplating moves and checking scores. The math and statistics and percentages does keep your mind sharper though And it makes watching hockey in general more interesting! I'm only in one league , if I was in more I think I'd go crazy.. I'm 24/7 with this one as it is! I even wake up at 3:30am to try and grab players coming off the waiver and hoping they make it through so I dont have to waste my pick and waiver position.

Two more weeks and then I dont know what I'm gonna do with all this extra time on my hands LOL.

Although I'm going to start prepping for next year by making a list of players that I think should do better next year and draft them a little higher in the rankings
    1 Year H2H (G,A,+/-,PPP,GWG,PIM,Hits, SOG,W,GAA, SV%,SHO), 8 Teams 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 3F, 6D, 3G, 4 Bench, 2 IR

C: M.Koivu, Sharp (LW), Stepan
    LW: Perron (RW), Soderberg, Landeskog
    RW: Ovechkin, Carter (C/LW), Skinner (C/LW)
    F: Simmonds, Johansen, Anisimov
    D: Doughty, OEL, Franson, Gudas, Enstrom, Daley
    G: Price, Varlamov
    BN: Stempniak, Perreault, Lee, Michalek, Maroon
    IR: Letang
    Lost to Injury: Tavares, M.Smith, Dupuis, Fowler, Parenteau, Kreider, Granlund, Lupul, McDonagh

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm straight up addicted. Just ask Sasquatch or Pengwin7 ... they're in leagues with me.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Ninja

Great thread sasquatch! For me, it qualifies as an addiction if you hide all or some of it from your spouse/girlfriend. I was afraid to tell her how many fantasy hockey teams I have on the go. I also do two fantasy football teams. Luckily, I dropped my fantasy baseball league about 8 or 9 years ago, even though baseball is THE most awesome sport for fantasy roto-leagues, all those relevant categories and player positions.

I'm currently in 6 leagues, 5 of them are keepers (# ranges from 4 to 32) and 3 of them are money leagues. I only run 2 of them now, thankfully. For me, being a commish requires attention to detail and time to think about fairness and the well-being of the league.

I try to manage the time I spend on my pools, but I struggle some days (you know, from September to about May or so!). I try to set my line-ups in those leagues that require daily/weekly rosters once per week and adjust if I have the time, that way I don't get caught when something unexpectedly happens (like say, an anniversary or your wife's birthday, you know, unexpectedly) and you can't set your line-up.

I also try to watch as much hockey as I can. I also have NHL Center Ice and often watch 2 games a night, but more often I end up changing channels and watching periods of certain games, then flip to another game at intermission, constantly scouting for how players look...does he have hockey sense, is he getting PP TOI, who's the coach putting out there when the team is down a goal with time running out, etc. Yup, totally addicted and loving it!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Eyenerd View Post
    I totally hear ya ... I'm so obsessed with it too! I can't stop thinking about it and contemplating moves and checking scores. The math and statistics and percentages does keep your mind sharper though And it makes watching hockey in general more interesting! I'm only in one league , if I was in more I think I'd go crazy.. I'm 24/7 with this one as it is! I even wake up at 3:30am to try and grab players coming off the waiver and hoping they make it through so I dont have to waste my pick and waiver position.

Two more weeks and then I dont know what I'm gonna do with all this extra time on my hands LOL.
    Don't worry - for addicts like us, once the regular season is over, there is post season hockey (and pools galore)! Once the season champs are crowned, then you have to worry about what to do - but for then, there is golf (go out and play)!
    League 1: 2021 Dobber Entry (Patrick), Yahoo Roto, 10 Teams
    4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 2G start; 5 Bench
    Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, Hits
    Goalies: W, Saves, GAA

Forwards:
    C: Malkin, ROR, Backstrom
    LW: Forsberg, Parise
    RW: Gallagher, Hornqvist, D Brown, Kessel
    Dual Eligibility: Svechnikov, Jamie Benn, Radulov, Domi, Rakell, Pavelski
    Defense: Hamilton, Letang, OEL, Suter, Spurgeon, Girard
    Goalies: Vasilevskyi, Lehner, Mrazek, Reimer

Dobber Sports All-Star

I hate winter and this is my therapy!

Dobber Sports Ace

wow, what feedback, glad to hear i'm not the only one thinking about hockey 24/7...

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    For me, it qualifies as an addiction if you hide all or some of it from your spouse/girlfriend
    A while back my lady asked me how many teams I had and I said 4.... she went 4!!!!! then I meekly said 5.... she laughed and shook her head. so yep, addiction right here.

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'm straight up addicted. Just ask Sasquatch or Pengwin7 ... they're in leagues with me.
    I can verify this, beating you this year though mate looking forward to the move to fantrax with this league btw, should drastically improve some of our issues.

yesterday I also spent about 2 hours reading through articles and twitter pages trying to find more NCAA guys that are getting signed just so I can stay ahead of the game in my deep league... that's a normal day! Its not even about finding the next Karlsson now, more like finding the next Chris Neil, Karlsson's are all owned.

I think the real kicker for me is that because I live in Australia I cant even watch games until the weekend, so I have to look through footing and have a lot more faith in what I'm reading (the authors)

Maybe I'll get another team... sounds like a good idea...
    Not THAT hairy, honest!

Dobber Sports Ace

might study russian just so I can follow the scouts over there...
    Not THAT hairy, honest!