Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Favorite high-fantasy characters

I...am your father.

Default Favorite high-fantasy characters

Anyone have any favorites from over the years? Here are a few that stick out for me:

Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
    Drizzt Do'Urden (Forgotten Realms)
    Caramon Majere (Dragonlance)
    Tasslehoff Burrfoot (Dragonlance)
    Cara (Sword of Truth)
    Matrim Cauthon (Wheel of Time)
    Artemis Entreri (Forgotten Realms)
    Kit Fisto (Star Wars)
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Star Wars)
    Tyrion Lannister (Song of Ice and Fire)
    Jon Snow (Song of Ice and Fire)
    Trull Sengar (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
    Kalam (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
    Menion Leah (Sword of Shannara)
    Jarlaxle (Forgotten Realms)
    Kelsier (Mistborn)
    Rand al'Thor (Wheel of Time)
    Darth Bane (Star Wars)
    Arya Stark (Song of Ice and Fire) (her character gets really good in the books - just wait until the show catches up)
    Haplo (Death Gate Cycle)
    Roland (Dark Tower)

Just firing out some names, I know I've missed hundreds
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Favorite high-fantasy characters

Huge Star Wars fan here, and I love reading about Darth Maul and Boba Fett; my two favourites. Tyrion And his brother Jaime Lannister are my two faves from Song of Ice and Fire although Jon Snow comes in a close third. I have to mention Gollum, of course, as being a really cool character from Lord of the Rings. I also just started reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and liked the warlock detective, Harry Dresden. Glad to know I am not the only nerd out there.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

I...am your father.

Darth Maul is great, but "died" so early they could only go in and just do like four or five backstories. Really enjoyed those. And then they brought him back in the Clone Wars show...and I'm hoping I can read up on "the new" him in the books. I'm working my way through according to the timeline and I'm just past the Revenge of the Sith movie. Maybe four books past that movie, but haven't run into him yet

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Pro

I really like Yoda

Dobber Sports Stud

Wow I haven't read Dragonlance and Wheel of Time for some time but remember not being able to put those books down!

But I think one of my favourite that sticks out is Raistlin and Caramon (Dragonlance). Especially when the series focused on the two brothers (may be a side story of 3-4 books).

I also liked Tom Bombadil in LOTR just because Tolkein left him as a mystery.
    16 Team H2H League (Keep 6)
    3C - 3LW - 3RW - 6D - 2G

2013 1st place, 2014 1st place, 2015 1st place
    G, A, +/-, PIM, SOG, HIT, BLK GS, W, GAA, SV%, SO
    C= Stall, Marchessault, Hayes, Suzuki
    LW= Svechnikov, Goodrow, DeBrusk,
    RW= P.Kane, Kucherov, Fiala, Johnson
    D= Rielly, Borowieki, Fowler, Hagg, Murphy
    G= Demko, Samsonov, Jarry, Allen, Shesterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyProphet View Post
    Wow I haven't read Dragonlance and Wheel of Time for some time but remember not being able to put those books down!

But I think one of my favourite that sticks out is Raistlin and Caramon (Dragonlance). Especially when the series focused on the two brothers (may be a side story of 3-4 books).

I also liked Tom Bombadil in LOTR just because Tolkein left him as a mystery.
    Tolkien published a book called "The Adventures of Tom Bombadil" in 1934 (don't quote me on the year). It is a collection of poems about the character from Middle Earth. Probably hard to find an original copy, but check out Chapters or similar bookstore, and maybe you can get your hands on it.

Bottleneckers (12/16 in 2022)
    16 team, points only. G: 2-W, 4-SO.
    Top 9F, 4D & 1G . Keep 15, Max 23
    F: J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Tavares, Lafreniere, Cozens, Newhook, Teravainen, Domi, R. Strome, Laine, Rossi, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti
    D: Bouchard, McAvoy, Morrissey, Heiskanen
    G: Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bottlenecker, Gollum is a great one. Still scares the hell out of me, sitting awake and debating amongst himselves whether or not to strangle the hobbitses.

Some others:

Sandor Clegagne, Dolorous Edd, Strong Belwas, Roose Bolton, Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun and Hot Pie - Song of Ice and Fire. Very sad that Belwas didn't make the show.
    Tree Beard, Gollum, Bombadil, Theoden, and any Orc who gets a spoken part in Lord of the Rings. Orc dialogue is hilarious.
    Roland, Oy, Jake during his essay-writing phase, and Flagg - The Dark Tower, and everywhere else Flagg appears.

With Wheel of Time, it was less about characters I liked, and more about ones I could tolerate vs ones I couldn't. I used to be downright despondent when I realized I was in for yet another Nynaeve chapter. I finally gave up about twelve books in.

Actually, I enjoyed the two False Dragons in WoT. I'd almost forgotten those two, but while reading the series I was a big fan of those two.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    With Wheel of Time, it was less about characters I liked, and more about ones I could tolerate vs ones I couldn't. I used to be downright despondent when I realized I was in for yet another Nynaeve chapter. I finally gave up about twelve books in.

Actually, I enjoyed the two False Dragons in WoT. I'd almost forgotten those two, but while reading the series I was a big fan of those two.
    LOL - agreed re: Nynaeve. Dreaded those chapters, she over-argued. I understand the need for conflict in your characters, but balance it. The character needs to be agreeable once in awhile! You know who was the worst for that? Kahlan from Sword of Truth

Wheel of Time only had 14 books, why stop with one of the two or three best books I've ever read (Book 14) still to come?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Maybe I only survived ten or eleven of them...I kind of lost count. I have considered picking up the later ones, but it has been so long that I would have to start over to refresh my memory of the whole thing. I am not sure I have it in me to do that. That said, how is the new guy's work? It's being written by a second authour from Jordan's notes, right?

I...am your father.

Yeah, Sanderson is the author of the Mistborn trilogy I noted above. A great series that I read a couple of years ago so his work was quite fresh in my mind when I read his WoT books. And i didn't read him because WoT - I read Mistborn, then like a few months later discovered he had taken over for Jordan. He moves the story along much faster, but you don't see him until 13 and 14.

Since I read 13 and 14 about a year and half ago - but the rest of the series I read about five years ago, I had to refresh my memory as well. So what I did was just read through the online summaries which are quite thorough

Dobber Sports Ace

I did the same. There are some really good, thorough, online summaries.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Initiate

Hmmm...I might have to go that route then. Perhaps I will wait until the series is officially done and then run through some summaries and pick up the ones I haven't read. Thanks for the tip.

Hell, even the new ones, I can find online summaries of the Nynaeve chapters!

Dobber Sports Ace

It is done! 100%!
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by The Bottlenecker View Post
    I also just started reading Jim Butcher's Dresden Files and liked the warlock detective, Harry Dresden. Glad to know I am not the only nerd out there.
    YES! Harry Dresden is the shit!
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis

Dobber Sports Veteran

One of my favorite fantasy characters is Iorek Byrnison from His Dark Materials (aka: The Golden Compass triology). I even named my keeper team after his race of Armored Bears. My team is called the Svalbard Armored Bears. I also love Iorek's friend Lee Scoresby. That man is a BAMF.
    Fantrax - Salary cap dynasty - cap hit - H2H each category
    Start: 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 2UTIL, 2G, 6 Bench, 4IR
    Cats: G, A, +/-, PIM, STG, STA, SOG, FOW, GWG, Hits, BLK, W, GAA, Saves, SV%, SO

C: Getzlaf, Turris, Eakin, ____
    LW: Kunitz, MacArthur, Pacioretty, ____
    RW: Little (C), Tarasenko, Eriksson (LW)
    D: Pietrangelo, JJ, Streit, Brodie, Benn, ____
    G: Lundqvist, Bishop, Holtby

Farm: Grigorenko, H Lindholm, Faksa, Collberg, Grimaldi, Lee, K Hayes, G Carey, Schmaltz
    G: Grubauer, Gudlevskis