Thread: Johny Hendricks fails to make weight

I...am your father.

Default Johny Hendricks fails to make weight

http://www.mmaweekly.com/ufc-171-wei...relim-fighters

While Lawler stepped off the scale after weighing in at 170 pounds, Hendricks tipped the scales at 171.5 pounds. Since this is a title fight, he needs to be at or below 170 pounds, there is not one-pound allowance in championship fights, as there is for a non-title bout.

But then he was given 2 hours to make weight - and he made it:

http://www.mmaweekly.com/johny-hendr...le-bout-intact

He probably just shaved his beard, lost the weight that way

Join my MMA pool here
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Johny Hendricks fails to make weight

Good to see my favorite hockey person/writer/fantasyguidemaker is an MMA fan!
    12 teams H2H Yahoo
    G A +/- PIM PPP SOG... W SV%

2C 2LW 2RW 4D 1utility 2g 3bench

Crosby Berglund
    Hartnell Perron
    Wheeler Vrbata
    Karlsson, Giordano, Green, Krug
    Ryan Miller, Fleury

Nyquist, Ennis, Soderberg, Hemsky

Letang IR

Dobber Sports Superstar

I don't follow UFC a ton but it seems crazy to come try and make weight and be over a pound heavy. Don't they have scales in their dressing rooms? A pound is nothing for a 170-lb guy to lose but you think he'd measure himself before hand and ensure that he was going to make weight especially when he's right at the line.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
    I don't follow UFC a ton but it seems crazy to come try and make weight and be over a pound heavy. Don't they have scales in their dressing rooms? A pound is nothing for a 170-lb guy to lose but you think he'd measure himself before hand and ensure that he was going to make weight especially when he's right at the line.
    Weigh cutting is one of the huge things in MMA which a lot of people, myself included, don't fully understand. Remember, people like GSP and Hendricks normally walk around weighing over 200 pounds. The weight cut is mostly water, as they intentionally dehydrate themselves, and he loses like 20-30 pounds in the 5 days before the weigh-in. A healthy weight cut is hard to do, physically and mentally. Some people are good at it, and some aren't. GSP is considered a master of the weight cut (I heard that for the Sheilds fight, GSP weighed 194 pounds, 5 hours after weighing in at 170), and Hendricks has never had a problem cutting weight before. Rumor has it, that the Hendricks camp was unknowingly using a faulty scale in the hotel, and they all thought he was perfect. Apparently, they were as shocked as everyone else when it was announced that he didn't make weight the first time.

Rylant