Thread: Drizzt Do'Urden

I...am your father.

Default Drizzt Do'Urden

Any fans?

One of my favorite characters in high fantasy. I also like how Salvatore is re-fitting him with a new group of friends (since he's a dark elf with a long life span and his original friends have died off). I haven't read the last book yet, but otherwise I'm caught up.

I don't mind the Dahlia character, though his description of her using Kozah's Needle can be awkward and confusing. Bringing back Artemis - that was genius and revived the series IMO. I like the new character Ambergris, a dwarf warrior-wizard and clever schemer. And I also see a lot of potential in Afafrenfere the warrior-monk. And of course Guen...
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re: Drizzt Do'Urden

You have another fan here. Drizzt is the one who made me dive furether in the fantasy world. As a late reader, I read Tolkien in my early 20 to jump on Drizzt book after; a great discovery who's made me a real fan of this writing style. I've took a brake on Salvador recent book but planing on trying it after I finish (should take me another year lol) Game of Throne. After Salvador, any fantasy writer you like Dobbs? With so many new book every year, always fun to have another opinion before choosing. I'm personnaly a big fan of Gemmel as well. Druss saga is so fun to read.

I...am your father.

I would probably save the more in-depth stuff (Game of Thrones, Malazan Book of the Fallen, Wheel of Time) for when you're really hard core, even though you're already into GoT. So with the "Drizzt" type of storytelling I would suggest you try:
    1. Dragonlance Chronicles
    2. Dragonlance Legends
    3. Shannara series, starting with Sword of Shannara (Terry Brooks)
    4. Sword of Truth series (Goodkind)
    5. Deathgate Cycle

And whenever you want to go hardcore, look at Malazan BotF

Right now, and for the past year, I've actually been reading through all the Star Wars stuff and really enjoying it. Different authors and the styles range from easy reads to more complicated stuff. But lots of great back story

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Wizard

A co-worker lent me the first book in this series, and I just never really got around to reading it. Maybe I'll try to get it back from him.... If its being compared to Shannara and Sword of Truth I worry if it's a little "fluffy". I'm really into the 20 page descriptions of history and shit.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Tony DeNiro View Post
    A co-worker lent me the first book in this series, and I just never really got around to reading it. Maybe I'll try to get it back from him.... If its being compared to Shannara and Sword of Truth I worry if it's a little "fluffy". I'm really into the 20 page descriptions of history and shit.
    One thing I will say about Salvatore - there is no author on this planet who can describe a fight scene better. When Drizzt goes to battle, you get pretty pumped.

Dobber Sports Pro

The Riftwar Saga and the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant are both very good. If you like the Dragonlance novels, you should take a look at the Gord the Rogue series, lots of fun.

The Horseclans and The Dark Tower are great post-apocalytic series....although I haven't read the Horseclans since the 80's.
    Ultimate Fantasy Hockey League - 2nd Place
    Teams: 12
    Players: G,A,+/-,PIM,PPP,SHP,GWG,SOG,FW,HIT

Goalies: GS,W,L,GAA,SA,SV,SV%,SHO
    Pro(23) Keep(17)
    3C - Toews/Spezza/Rask/Backlund/Dubinsky(LW)
    3LW -Palat/Abdelkader(RW)/Henrique(C)/Soderberg(C)
    3RW - Simmonds/Smith(C)/Little(C)/Jenner(C)/Stafford
    6D - Doughty/Ekman-Larsson/Chara/Braun/Klingberg/Stone/Theodore
    2G - Hellybuyck/Lehner
    IR - Wisniewski/Perreault(C)/Savard/Pavelec
    Farm(10)
    C - Dvorak(LW)
    LW -Lindberg(C)
    RW -
    D - Pulock/Gustafsson
    G - Darling/Hutchinson/Condon/Ullmark//Johnson/Raanta

Dobber Sports Wizard

I re-borrowed the first book from my co-worker and read through it in a hurry. It's pretty good, kept my interest at least for sure. Borrowed the second book and got a few pages in but then decided I need to re-read the fifth GoT book instead. But I do plan on finishing that second Drizzt book when I can.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm always left wanting more artemus e. ( if I could spell)... His cleric quintet was fun, rare is the cleric book.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    One thing I will say about Salvatore - there is no author on this planet who can describe a fight scene better. When Drizzt goes to battle, you get pretty pumped.
    this^
    going to revive an old thread here
    I agree 100% i've read quite a bit of different fantasy authors and I got to say when Salvatore starts describing Drizzt go into battle, it is almost as if you are there with him, his ability to capture the raw emotion he fights with is unbelievable many of nights i've been reading late into the night not being able to put the books down...at the end of The Ghost King I didn't know what to do
    very well written series with good characters, though the most recent was lacking in terms of emotion(IMO) its to be expected he is a old character I believe he started writing about him back in the late 80s
    NFHA categories: G(25) A(25) PIM(3) Hits(2) Blocks(2) PPP(15) SHP(20) Goalie Stats: W(50) Sv(2) ShOu(100) OtL(10) ShL(10) L(-10) GA(-12)
    Cold As Ice Dynasty H2H categories: G A PIM SOG PPP +/- HIT BLK WINS GAA SV% SHO
    Starting Roster:
    Center - Giroux, Krejci, W.Karlsson
    Left Wing - Hall, Guentzel, Danault
    Right Wing - Stone, R.Smith, Compher
    Ultility Forward - Fast, Gaborik
    Defense - Klingberg, Pietrangelo, Jones, C.Miller, Phanuef, E.Johnson
    Goalie - Allen, R.Miller
    Bench - M.Foligno, Sheahan, Laughton, Glendening, Djoos, Jensen, H.Fleury
    Prospects - Kyrou, Andersson Hinostroza, Grundstrom, Roy, Timmins, Grzelcyk, Lauzon, Lindgren

Dobber Sports Stud

Any fans?

One of my favorite characters in high fantasy. I also like how Salvatore is re-fitting him with a new group of friends (since he's a dark elf with a long life span and his original friends have died off). I haven't read the last book yet, but otherwise I'm caught up.

I don't mind the Dahlia character, though his description of her using Kozah's Needle can be awkward and confusing. Bringing back Artemis - that was genius and revived the series IMO. I like the new character Ambergris, a dwarf warrior-wizard and clever schemer. And I also see a lot of potential in Afafrenfere the warrior-monk. And of course Guen...
    Not just a Drizzt fan, but a huge Forgotten realms fan in general
    My favorite books are still Homeland and Passage to Dawn.

The books have gotten so generic since "Thousand Orcs". I was unhappy with the progress of Drizzt in general. Pirate king made me mad because of the misuse of several characters that could have been better.

Gauntlgrym was probably my favorite book he wrote recently. Liked angry killing Drizzt getting more into grey area, and his nemesis coming out of the pure evil to more grey area continued, although the rest of the books after that were "Meh". They made a great duo. I always love when it goes back to menzo and Gromph, but I am bored of Companions of the hall.

Paul Kemp is my favorite realms Author. Erevis Cale trilogy is awesome and just darker(Like Game of thrones). Shame they are not giving him money so he won't write for them anymore.

A lot of authors are not being given new contracts because DnD products just are not selling like they used to. Sucks because I am a certified WOTC reviewer. I get free advanced reader copies of all novels. But with Richard Lee Byers, Paul Kemp and a few other authors not writing books anymore because of pay, it sucks. I am not a big Erin M Evans fan, nor a big Greenwood fan. the only books I look forward to anymore are Salvatore's
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

I...am your father.

@Joe Thornton - that's interesting (that you're a certified reviewer). How does one get to be that?

Drizzt's new companions have grown on me. Or rather, they "had" grown on me. Was never a fan of Dahlia as her weapon was too confusing to describe in a battle. But Artemis is a great character and I like the monk Afrafrenfere too. Abergris is okay, as is the half-Tiefling. But things took a turn for the better when they "killed off" Drizzt...or seemed to. And now he's back and the original Companions are reborn!

So now he has his new group of friends, who are even more powerful now. Because Wulfgar has beaten his inner demons (and is younger, stronger and more experienced) and Regis has been training to fight for all of his 'new' young life. AND he has his old group of powerful friends. It was a twist to the overall timeline that I didn't see coming. Anyway, I took a break from my Star Wars to read the two Drizzt books that I missed from last year. I've had kind of a 'tradition' when I go down south on vacation I read the Drizzt stuff.

Dobber Sports Stud

@Joe Thornton - that's interesting (that you're a certified reviewer). How does one get to be that?

Drizzt's new companions have grown on me. Or rather, they "had" grown on me. Was never a fan of Dahlia as her weapon was too confusing to describe in a battle. But Artemis is a great character and I like the monk Afrafrenfere too. Abergris is okay, as is the half-Tiefling. But things took a turn for the better when they "killed off" Drizzt...or seemed to. And now he's back and the original Companions are reborn!

So now he has his new group of friends, who are even more powerful now. Because Wulfgar has beaten his inner demons (and is younger, stronger and more experienced) and Regis has been training to fight for all of his 'new' young life. AND he has his old group of powerful friends. It was a twist to the overall timeline that I didn't see coming. Anyway, I took a break from my Star Wars to read the two Drizzt books that I missed from last year. I've had kind of a 'tradition' when I go down south on vacation I read the Drizzt stuff.
    Paul Kemp and Richard Lee Byers kinda showed me where to go. Go to a website called "netgalley". Make an account and apply for wizards of the coast.

The thing is, you should have a Goodreads account and book review blog too. They will have an application of sorts, in which you need to sell them on why you should be a reviewer. I have accounts at Salvatore' forums, Candlekeep forums, WOTC forums and goodreads + my own blog. Kinda hardcore a FR fan, so i post all over the place about it. I just cut and paste my reviews to each

In any case, my application was accepted.

The next book, Archmage, is coming out soon lol. Gonna feature lot of Gromph opening gates to the abyss by all talk

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Stud

I got an advanced reader copy of Hero, and by everything I can tell, I feel this was the last book in the series, despite the nice ending.

It left a nice cliffhanger event that leaves it potentially open to more books, but it seems WOTC is ending the novel line....

McDavid C