Thread: Good inexpensive camera?

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Good inexpensive camera?

I know very little about the PowerShot G Series cameras as I use Canon's SLR lineup.

However, I do use photoprice.ca quite often. Here is a listing for the powershot G12, which to the best of my knowledge is a step up from the G11.

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/033...G12-price.html - Sorry.. now longer stocked anywhere.

Here is the G15: $379 to your door from B&H (if you have 13% sales tax)

http://www.photoprice.ca/product/040...G15-price.html
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    UHL Dynasty St. Louis Blues
    ...playoffs, how the eff did I make the playoffs?

UDL Western Kings
    ...oh boy... this build is gonna be a while...

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Good inexpensive camera?

My wife told me yesterday she wants a camera for Christmas. The problem is, she doesn't want an expensive one, but she wants a good one. So I'm hoping someone might have some recommendations.

Basically, all she wants is one that's fast (the one we have now has a three-second delay from when we press the button to when it takes the photo: very frustrating when you are trying to take photos of three-year-olds since they don't stay still that long).

Also, the lighting in our house isn't the greatest, so one that can read light pretty well would be helpful. But that's not as important as the last point.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports All-Star

If you want really cheap price then I'd go pocket size Canon Powershot which runs between $100-$180 depending on the model. If you want a bit higher model, the larger Canon powershots with built extended lenses aren't bad. We've been using this for years and have never been disappointed with Canon.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

The Great One

I got one of those small Canon Powershots about a year ago. It is a decent camera. But the delay time isn't great. And if you switch to the faster kids/pets settings....most of the time the pictures turn out blurry. It could be that I just don't know how to use the thing properly.

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is beyond a doubt the best camera on the market for the price if you want something that is small, affordable and delivers great quality. You can even attach lenses, it's shutter speed is nearly as fast as my pro camera. I own a G11 and I bring it on holiday and leave my big lensed pro camera at home. When I'm retouching the photos I impressed at the information and colour density. It's not what my $3000 camera can do, but amazingly close considering the price difference.

They're made of steel and will last forever. you won't need to update your camera for a very long time. Why spend $150 on a cheap camera every 3-4 years when you can spend $300 on something that could last you half a lifetime? You may even be able to find a G14 or G13 at a lower price too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc....html%E2%80%8B
    Limited Keeper - Keep 5
    Auction draft with a budget of $600. Whatever is left becomes your acquisition budget for the season. At the end of the season 50% of your budget is carried over to the next year.
    Keeper players are taxed +$10 for forwards with over 75 pts. +$5 for forwards under 74pts. +$0 for forwards under 50pts.
    D = +$10 for 65pts +$5 for under 64pts +$0 under 40
    G = +$10 for 32W +$5 for under 31W & +$0 under 15W

(G) (A) 25, (+/-) 5, (PIM) 3, (PPG) 7.5, (PPA) 5, (SHG) 10, (SHA) 7.5
    (SOG) 1 (W) 50, (L) -20, (GA) -5, (SV) 2, (SHO) 50

The Great One

It doesn't have a shooting mode for kids/pets? Does that matter?

Dobber Sports Guru

Thanks for the help everyone. Unfortunately 93213, that camera on that site won't get shipped to Canada. And in Canada, I either can't find it or it's massively expensive.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Ninja

I know it may not cover your criteria, but I travel around a lot and was always worried about dropping the camera or when it getting wet when it rained, so I bought an Olympus Stylus Tough. Now I don't sweat banging it or dropping it and I can even take it snorkelling. No worries whatsoever!
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket