Thread: Any Backyard Rink making pros?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Any Backyard Rink making pros?

Any pros out there at making rinks. we have a pretty good system going. We have the liner and a huge rink. This year we have gone a little thinner on the ice so there is room for precipitation. I am a little worried it is too thin. So how thick should I make the ice? \
    If you have any other tips for great ice that is always good as well. really the only other problem I come across is restoring the rink after freezing rain.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Any Backyard Rink making pros?

Nope, I'm an amateur. So Quik Rink for me (works like a charm), perfect for my kids aged 2 and 4
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I used to live on a small lake in Southern Ontario as a kid/teenager.
    The key to good ice is multiple very thin coats of water to bond/freeze it.
    Think Zamboni effect here.

I consistently wanted to make a perfectly smooth rink by mass flooding it, but it was too thick.
    The top layer of water would freeze and lock in insulated water below it (similar to how fish survive in the winter, because only the top part of the lake water is actually frozen).

Having several VERY large tarps can also be helpful.
    To avoid freezing rain and snow drifts mixing with range, you need to create a tent effect covering your rink.
    Essentially, you need to create a ridge down the center of your rink - which can be done many ways (stacking wood, using trash cans, just build up the center so rain slopes off).

The standard architectural rule for sloping standing water is 1/4" height for every 12" of run.
    But, if you use tarps (which can sag/pond), you want to slope at approximately 1" height every 12" of run.

ESPN anchor John Buccigross makes a backyard rink.
    If you shot him an email titled "backyard rink help" - I bet he could lend you a few suggestions of his own to good links.

Anyways, good luck.
    If there's one thing I miss about winters at home (Windsor, ON), it was outdoor hockey whenever I felt like it.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks guys. i have not heard of the Quik rink. The tarp idea is great, but our rink is 40 x 70, pretty huge. We are very lucky, in that it is built on a sports court. Already perfectly level, just through up the boards and away we go. Even have lights. I have layered it in the past but I think I need to add on a bunch more now that it is starting to freeze. I am not sure how think to make it but I guess if it starts to crack i can add more water.

Great idea to email the guy, I will try that when I get a chance.

Dobber Sports Pro

If you're in the Toronto area, tonight at 7:00PM, Parks People have organized a Rink Summit. It will volunteers from all over the City who build rinks backyards/parks. Sharing best practices, tips, ideas etc.
    Free hot chocolate too.
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

This thread is awesome. Brought back memories of skating in my backyard as a 6 yr old. Our yard had a dip to the back-left corner that would naturally flood. Consequently, we would get this pool of frozen water every year. Nothing big...probably 20'x10'...but to this 6yr old, skating back there at night, illuminated by our flood lights in the middle of winter...man that was something. My effin feet were numb and blue, but damned if I gave a hoot. My Mother used to have to bribe me back inside w/ hot cocoa and pie. (which always worked)

I look forward to providing that for my kids, should I be blessed. Good times.
    @SmittysRant