Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    re: Gio.
    With the value of defensemen in fantasy hockey - the majority of their value (IMO) is tied to their use on the PP.
    If a team doesn't have stellar forwards, a D-man can be designated as the SHOOT-FIRST option on the powerplay.
    (This isn't luck. This role comes straight out of practice from the coach's instructions.)

This is massive, massive value to a D-man because of the high PPP and SOG that goes with this role.
    Unless a D-man is really gifted offensively with hands (Karlsson, Subban, ol' Mike Green back-in-the-day), then huge value only comes with this role.

Fortunately, Giordano (on a O-challenged CGY team) has indeed emerged into this Weber-like role... and THAT does make him a fantasy hockey multi-cat monster for the foreseeable future.

I tab him "the real deal" in multi-cat & 50point-per-82 D.
    Definite Tier II or Tier Ia D-man.
    Fantastic point. Calgary being a poor team actually plays to his favour (which feels a bit backwards at first). If he was on say PIT there is no way he would be given the freedom and scoring chances he is getting now. The good news is that CAL likely won't be good for a while and Gio is still only 30.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

Quote Originally Posted by Rehdaun View Post
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned injuries yet. I agree that Giordano is a solid hockey player and due to peripherals a good fantasy defenseman. Injuries will curb his production and his value. It's his style, moving the puck in the offensive zone and getting his body between the puck and net in the the defensive zone. He'll get his bumps and bruises and he will miss time. In a full season without injury he could push 50 points. Heck he's doing it this year even with an injury. However I think this year is more of an outlier than the norm. That's why I agree with mounD's assessment of 40 points with good periphs.
    Fair point, if you are factoring injuries in then 40 points is likely the safer play. I think he has found something here with the offensively inept flames and might be able to crack 50 next season. Regardless, he'll be a prime candidate to gamble on at the #3 spot in most formats.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK