Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

This one blew me away – Mark Giordano has an 82 game pace of 61 points, 92 penalty minutes, and 229 shots. A low end number one option next year? As crazy as it sounds to say that.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Administrator

Default Re: Mark Giordano is kinda really good (who knew!)

I prefer looking at the larger sample than just one partial season. Points-wise I think he will disappoint compared to expectations. Always been a good roto league guy though.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Definitely agree that the points will drop a bit, but even if he is 50Pts, 80Pims and 200+ shots. That is still close to a top 10 d-man in most formats. His health, well that could be a separate issue from regression
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_Kennedy View Post
    Definitely agree that the points will drop a bit, but even if he is 50Pts, 80Pims and 200+ shots. That is still close to a top 10 d-man in most formats. His health, well that could be a separate issue from regression
    If you put the over/under at 50 I'd gladly take the under. Could be wrong but there's two things I look at: It's Giordano and it's the Flames.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Deity

I've been saying he's been a good producer and probably one of the more under-rated skaters in the league for quite some time now, and I am an Oilers fan.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Giordano is a great defenseman. His advanced stats are also very good for a Flames player. Nice to see his fantasy value rise a little bit. I always thought he was underrated.
    twitter: @hugotwigg

Dobber Sports Giant

He's a good hockey player, but those are pretty ambitious projections for a full 82-game schedule. I would definitely take the under on 50.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

I...am your father.

He makes you look good with two points and plus-2 tonight, bumping that 'pace' higher.

He is the focus of my Puck Daddy for tomorrow and since January 12, he ranks SECOND on Frozen Pool's Roto Ranker chart behind Jamie Benn.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    He makes you look good with two points and plus-2 tonight, bumping that 'pace' higher.

He is the focus of my Puck Daddy for tomorrow and since January 12, he ranks SECOND on Frozen Pool's Roto Ranker chart behind Jamie Benn.
    I just snagged him last night for my Yahoo playoffs/championships.... looking forward to that article!

Yahoo 12-man, H2H weekly, single yr, no keepers, 3-gm goalie min, 4 waivers/wk
    Stats: G, A, +/-, PIMs, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLKS, W, GAA, SV%

C: Getzlaf, Brassard, Gordon
    LW: Couture (C), Nash (RW), Cammalleri (C), Palat
    RW: Ovechkin, Wheeler, Burns (D)
    D: Pietrangelo, Giordano, Gudas, Beauchemin
    G: Varlamov, Mason

IR slot: Letang

Dobber Sports Icon

He's been criminally underrated for years now as a fantasy producer in multi-cat leagues. I've usually been able to snag him as my second or even third d-man and I usually draft d-men late.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I've been saying he's been a good producer and probably one of the more under-rated skaters in the league for quite some time now, and I am an Oilers fan.
    For me he's kind of like the new Vrbata. Maybe not elite per se, but a solid producer that will probably be there in the late rounds. I'll be targeting him as a #2 option next year (10 team league)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    He's been criminally underrated for years now as a fantasy producer in multi-cat leagues. I've usually been able to snag him as my second or even third d-man and I usually draft d-men late.
    Not many guys outside of Subban, Buff and maybe Letang can give the same mix of Pts, SOG and PIMs that Giordano is giving right now. Just needs to stay healthy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

Sheesh, didn't realize he was that high.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mbudz4 View Post
    I just snagged him last night for my Yahoo playoffs/championships.... looking forward to that article!
    That's the the unreal thing, in some leagues (if they're shallow enough) he's still on the waiver wire. I think it's partly because his name is "Giordano", he plays out west, and there isn't a ton of media/mainstream recognition of him. Will likely change in a years time.

Dobber Sports Giant

Idk, Darren, people definitely know about him. We know he's a good hockey player, and his peripheral value is solid, but I just don't think he's going to score enough points over a full 82-game schedule for him to be considered a #1 or #2 fantasy D. He's playing like that right now, and he's definitely got long-term value. I just have a hard time pegging him as more than a 40-ish point D with good peripherals.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    Idk, Darren, people definitely know about him. We know he's a good hockey player, and his peripheral value is solid, but I just don't think he's going to score enough points over a full 82-game schedule for him to be considered a #1 or #2 fantasy D. He's playing like that right now, and he's definitely got long-term value. I just have a hard time pegging him as more than a 40-ish point D with good peripherals.
    You raise a fair point about points. Especially with Calgary and their offence the next 2 or 3 years. Next season will be telling.

Dobber Sports Expert

I'm surprised that no one mentioned injuries yet. I agree that Giordano is a solid hockey player and due to peripherals a good fantasy defenseman. Injuries will curb his production and his value. It's his style, moving the puck in the offensive zone and getting his body between the puck and net in the the defensive zone. He'll get his bumps and bruises and he will miss time. In a full season without injury he could push 50 points. Heck he's doing it this year even with an injury. However I think this year is more of an outlier than the norm. That's why I agree with mounD's assessment of 40 points with good periphs.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

re: Gio.
    With the value of defensemen in fantasy hockey - the majority of their value (IMO) is tied to their use on the PP.
    If a team doesn't have stellar forwards, a D-man can be designated as the SHOOT-FIRST option on the powerplay.
    (This isn't luck. This role comes straight out of practice from the coach's instructions.)

This is massive, massive value to a D-man because of the high PPP and SOG that goes with this role.
    Unless a D-man is really gifted offensively with hands (Karlsson, Subban, ol' Mike Green back-in-the-day), then huge value only comes with this role.

Fortunately, Giordano (on a O-challenged CGY team) has indeed emerged into this Weber-like role... and THAT does make him a fantasy hockey multi-cat monster for the foreseeable future.

I tab him "the real deal" in multi-cat & 50point-per-82 D.
    Definite Tier II or Tier Ia D-man.