Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fate of the Blackhawks held by goaltending?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Fate of the Blackhawks held by goaltending?

Are there still question marks to the Blackhawks' goalie situation? Whether it be Crawford's health, or Raanta's struggle as the forced backup, will goaltending be a problem for the Hawks?

http://thehockeywriters.com/fate-bla...d-goaltending/

I...am your father.

Default Re: Fate of the Blackhawks held by goaltending?

The Hawks are a team built for Cups without great goaltending, just like the Red Wings of yesteryear. Crawford has it made - red carpet to glory laid out for him.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    The Hawks are a team built for Cups without great goaltending, just like the Red Wings of yesteryear. Crawford has it made - red carpet to glory laid out for him.
    They certainly are. But with their recent struggles listed, 2nd line center, special teams, ect., will that put more pressure on Crawford? Furthermore, are they going to be up the creek if Crawford were to sustain an injury?

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    They certainly are. But with their recent struggles listed, 2nd line center, special teams, ect., will that put more pressure on Crawford? Furthermore, are they going to be up the creek if Crawford were to sustain an injury?
    Lots of teams are in trouble if they lose their starting goalie. Like basically every playoff team. They have the same second line center as last year, you're completely forgetting the late season addition of Tuevo, and their special teams aren't much of an issue. The Blackhawks are like the Miami Heat. They are coasting through the regular season and will turn it up in the playoffs.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Lots of teams are in trouble if they lose their starting goalie. Like basically every playoff team. They have the same second line center as last year, you're completely forgetting the late season addition of Tuevo, and their special teams aren't much of an issue. The Blackhawks are like the Miami Heat. They are coasting through the regular season and will turn it up in the playoffs.
    Their 2nd line center has been a revolving door this year. It certainly is not the status quo. As far as Teravainen goes, that's a lot to put on a 19-year-old kid. Nobody even knows how that's gonna play out. I can think of a handful of teams that would be better than most if they were to lose their starting netminder. Toronto, St. Louis, Colorado, and maybe L.A., although Martin Jones hasn't proven he can win in the playoffs. I see your point though.

Dobber Sports Sage

The Hawks had a historic season last year with lackluster play from the #2 C spot and this year are leading the league in scoring with the same combination of forwards. I don't think the #2 C spot will be the reason if they don't win the Cup this season.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Monster

Crawford does not need to win them games. He just needs to not lose them.

Every team could lose their goalie to injury. Raanta could pull a Niemi if he is called upon.

#2 Center? We have not had one in a long time, yet we win Cups baby. We're fine!

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Crawford certainly doesn't seem like one of the top 5 or so goalies, that said, a save percentage of .918 is in line with the next group or so of tenders. I don't think he's an advantage every night, but he likely isn't a major issue either.
    I once traded Henrik Lundqvist and Ilya Kovalchuk in return for Peter Budaj and Henrik Zetterberg… have lived in shame ever since.

Fantasy hockey contributor for Dobber Hockey, founder of www.darrenfantasyhockey.com. Admitted Valeri Nichushkin fanboy (of course who isn't?)

You can find me on twitter @FantasyHockeyDK

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    Their 2nd line center has been a revolving door this year. It certainly is not the status quo. As far as Teravainen goes, that's a lot to put on a 19-year-old kid. Nobody even knows how that's gonna play out. I can think of a handful of teams that would be better than most if they were to lose their starting netminder. Toronto, St. Louis, Colorado, and maybe L.A., although Martin Jones hasn't proven he can win in the playoffs. I see your point though.
    Last year during the playoffs their second line center was Handzus. Now I'm not entirely sure but.....oh shit, wait, he totally still is on the roster. Tuevo is tearing apart the Finnish league, and Kruger can more than adequately handle L2 responsibilities. It's been a revolving door because that's what good teams do. Experiment with lines to get them right and see how different players work in the regular season so they are ready for the playoffs.

I wouldn't call 4 teams a handful, and 25% teams is not nearly enough to single out the Blackhawks as a team who would have issues if Crawford got hurt, not to mention of that of the teams you did list, Elliot has proved the last two years he can't win in the playoffs (and he really isn't that good), you're clearly thinking of Giguere of old, not the rapidly declining one currently on Colorado's roster, and the Leafs aren't making any noise in the playoffs this year anyways.

You've already mentioned the issue with Martin Jones, but if LA has backup goaltending in then you should have named Anaheim, San Jose, Boston, and NYR, all of who have gotten superb play from their rookie backup goalies, albeit with much less fanfare, than the teams you did name. I'd feel much more comfortable with Andersen, Or Stalock for sure, and probably Chad Johnson, than Martin Jones, and I'd at least be equally comfortable with Cam Talbot. I'd be significantly less comfortable with Reimer, Elliot, or Giguere.

Banned

Last year during the playoffs their second line center was Handzus. Now I'm not entirely sure but.....oh shit, wait, he totally still is on the roster. Tuevo is tearing apart the Finnish league, and Kruger can more than adequately handle L2 responsibilities. It's been a revolving door because that's what good teams do. Experiment with lines to get them right and see how different players work in the regular season so they are ready for the playoffs.

I wouldn't call 4 teams a handful, and 25% teams is not nearly enough to single out the Blackhawks as a team who would have issues if Crawford got hurt, not to mention of that of the teams you did list, Elliot has proved the last two years he can't win in the playoffs (and he really isn't that good), you're clearly thinking of Giguere of old, not the rapidly declining one currently on Colorado's roster, and the Leafs aren't making any noise in the playoffs this year anyways.

You've already mentioned the issue with Martin Jones, but if LA has backup goaltending in then you should have named Anaheim, San Jose, Boston, and NYR, all of who have gotten superb play from their rookie backup goalies, albeit with much less fanfare, than the teams you did name. I'd feel much more comfortable with Andersen, Or Stalock for sure, and probably Chad Johnson, than Martin Jones, and I'd at least be equally comfortable with Cam Talbot. I'd be significantly less comfortable with Reimer, Elliot, or Giguere.
    Elliott was fantastic in the palyoffs.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I can assure you that Quenneville is not mixing and matching for his health. The loss of David Bolland has affected them more than they thought, and as of now, the Bickell signing appears to be costly. I agree that last year's team was historic, but even though they're still scoring goals this year, they're clearly hurting right now. Whether it be a lack of discipline, a failure to find a consistent pairing on the 3rd defensive line with Leddy, or finding a permanent solution at the 2nd line center, I would not declare the Blackhawks the favorites in the West anymore.

I was going to name Talbot and Stalock initially, but didn't out of fear of being berated, lol. So I do agree with you on those two. The only reason I listed Giguere was because of his veteran experience, as well as the fact that he's already won a Stanley Cup with Anaheim. His 10-5-0 record is deceiving since he lost 4 in a row in December into January.

I wouldn't sleep on Toronto. Bernier is a 25 game winner and if they can hold off Montreal and Tampa Bay, will be looking at home ice in the 1st round at least.

Sigh....whatever you say bud. Whatever you say.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Sigh....whatever you say bud. Whatever you say.
    Are you frustrated with the conversation? I didn't perceive us to be arguing.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Handzus caught lightning in a bottle last season - it was evidently his last bit of effective hockey left in the tank. He has been dreadful this year; an unmitigated disaster offensively and often too slow to make a positive impact on defense at even strength.
    He's been good on the PK, but that's about it. For my money Handzus has been Chicago's worst roster forward in 2013-14, and it's not close.

No guarantee Teravainen will adapt well to the NHL (even though I think he will... but we don't know this), and Kruger can absolutely not handle second line center duties - that's been a fact for years. He doesn't have the offensive ability to keep up with the Kanes, Sharps, etc. of the world. Never has. Like Handzus, he drags down the play of star linemates.
    On the fourth line, though, he's brilliant. Can focus on cycling and puck protection on the boards (his best offensive assets) rather than trying to zip around with Chicago's best players, which he just can't do.

The #2 center question has existed in Chicago basically every season since 2007-2008. In their two Cup seasons, the question had an obvious answer before the playoffs began (Sharp, Handzus). This year, everybody has been underwhelming in that role - that's why it's concerning. There's no obvious answer, and here we are only a month from the playoffs.
    And no, Sharp's not an option. Quenneville has refused to use him at center since 09-10. Never been made clear why (he's not any better or worse at center than on the wing) but hey.

Banned

awww that good old question mark...it never gets old in here