Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Malazan Book of the Fallen

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: The Malazan Book of the Fallen

I just finished book 4, the book where they introduce Karsa Orlong, and I loved it. This was the best book so far.

I can see a lot of people struggling with the series as there are a LOT of characters. Book 5 is about a entire new crew so I can understand some people being discouraged a bit as they progress.

One of my favorite series and one of the few to really deserve to be called epic.

I've tried to get into this series a few times and just can't.
    12 Team, H2H, 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Points league - 4C 4L 4R 6D 2G 5B
    G=2, A=2, +/-=1, PPP=1, SHP=3, PIM=.5, BLK=.5, HIT=.2
    W=3 L=-3 SV=.2 GA=-.6 SO=5
    -------
    12 Team, H2H 94M Cap, Dynasty-25NHL Team 35Farm
    Category League - 3C 3L 3R 3F 6D 2G 5B
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, Sht, FOW, PIM, BLK, HIT
    W, SO, SV, GAA, S%

I am a huge fantasy/sci-fi lover (just look at my team name/league name haha) and haven't been very familiar with this series but now I am very intrigued. Perhaps when I finish this work contract abroad I'll try and start it. I personally love detail and don't mind long descriptions, especially if they're of really cool ideas/characters/worlds. Just paints a more vivid image in my mind and the more I can imagine something, the more inclined I am to read more about it.
    FANTASY LEAGUE: "Hockey Night on Hoth" (est. 2012)
    TEAM NAME: "The Barrelriders"

FORMAT: H2H Keeper League (Keep 4 - no more than two per position)
    TEAM FORMAT: 12 Teams, 17 Players per Team (3C, 4W, 3D, 2G, 5Util)
    STAT CATS: G, A, P, PPP, FW, Shots, Hits, Blocks | Wins, SVS, GAA, SV%

MY TEAM:

C | N. Mackinnon,
    W | J. Benn, J. Pavelski
    D |
    G | A. Vasilevskiy

Dobber Sports Wizard

Just picked up the first book, now I just need to make some time to start reading it.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Expert

I bought the series when i read about it here since i´m a huge "big world fantasy"-fan. Somehow it did not kick in at all for me. Read the first one and thought it was okayish. Started the second and halfway lost intrest. Very hard to get it back. Not sure why i did not get hooked since it should be 100% my thing from what i like usually.
    Commish of UNFFHL, dangered species being the sole Panthers fan on Dobber.

Quote Originally Posted by keytolife View Post
    I bought the series when i read about it here since i´m a huge "big world fantasy"-fan. Somehow it did not kick in at all for me. Read the first one and thought it was okayish. Started the second and halfway lost intrest. Very hard to get it back. Not sure why i did not get hooked since it should be 100% my thing from what i like usually.
    I got bored a few times so far as well. Book 2 has some parts I didn't like. The pace usually picks up after the more boring parts. Book 3 and 4 were phenomenal.

I can understand some people having a hard time with it but I encourage you to stick to it until the end of book 3. If you still don't like it after that, then you should probably drop the series.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyPercentOfTheTime View Post
    I got bored a few times so far as well. Book 2 has some parts I didn't like. The pace usually picks up after the more boring parts. Book 3 and 4 were phenomenal.

I can understand some people having a hard time with it but I encourage you to stick to it until the end of book 3. If you still don't like it after that, then you should probably drop the series.
    Yes, I believe Book 3 is the Karsa Orlong backstory and he's possibly my favorite character of all time
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi