Thread: What was the Best Trade Deadline Deal

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default What was the Best Trade Deadline Deal

Morning guys,

What GM came out on top last week? Was it Washington improving their goaltending, Mtl. getting Vanek for next to nothing or the Blues for getting the missing piece in their drive for Cup #1?

Our TJ McAloon thinks the Tim Thomas pickup put the Stars at the head of the class. What's your vote for the deal that will most help a club get closer to the big prize?

http://thehockeywriters.com/tim-thom...move-deadline/
    Founder/Editor-in-Chief of The Hockey Writers

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: What was the Best Trade Deadline Deal

Have to agree, the Thomas trade looks pretty damn smart right now, and also pretty damn lucky.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Icon

Given the injury to Lehtonen, the Thomas trade does win. But I don't think that's the case if the injury hadn't happened. Can you imagine if Thomas gets Dallas into the playoffs and then leads them to the Final against the Bruins? Just dreaming, but that would be a pretty epic story. Seguin/Thomas vs Boston!!! WOW!

Anyway, prior to the injury the Habs would have been my choice as the big winners. Getting Vanek for that price was ridiculous! Especially when he is a noted Bruin killer and there's a good chance those teams meet in the playoffs.

Detroit's pick up of Legwand for a 3rd round pick and spare parts was underrated and could work out well for them.

Ottawa getting Hemsky for mid-round picks was a steal.

Bryzgalov for a 4th was just ludicrous. He could conceivably steal the job from Kuemper and end up making Minnesota management look like geniuses.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Banned

Vanek trade didn't make any sense then and still doesn't. He may score some goals but he does not care, does not want to be there, and doesn't make Montreal any more of a playoff threat then they were.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I thought the Thomas trade was a masterstroke. I wonder if it was even in the cards before the Bobby Lu trade, or if Dan Ellis basically played himself out of town after getting shelled by Columbus the night before.

In any case, seeing that Florida obviously had to move Thomas and jumping on it before anyone else did was awesome.

I also thought that Edmonton taking advantage of Anaheim's goallie glut was pretty slick. I like Fasth for what they gave up for him. Maybe they're starting to figure it out up there.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Newbie

The Mcnabb trade for the Kings was a big deal, but we won't really see the results of that this season.

Thomas will have the biggest impact because of the fact that the Stars are teetering on the edge of a playoff berth. By stealing a game or two, he can drastically change their season. He's not 2011 Thomas, but he's more than capable of stealing a game.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

I think longterm wise, the Tampa Bay Lightning were the biggest winners at the deadline. They unloaded a 38-year-old St. Louis and received a captain and 2 high value draft picks in return. That's highway robbery.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ASquared View Post
    I think longterm wise, the Tampa Bay Lightning were the biggest winners at the deadline. They unloaded a 38-year-old St. Louis and received a captain and 2 high value draft picks in return. That's highway robbery.
    That 38-year-old still kicks some serious ass, though. And that captain they got for him is a pending UFA.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Instant Karma View Post
    That 38-year-old still kicks some serious ass, though. And that captain they got for him is a pending UFA.
    There's no doubt St. Louis can still play. That's why I said longterm wise. I'm also pretty sure Yzerman is going to sign Callahan as well.