Thread: Chuck Fletcher Has Built an Organization from nearly Ground Up Earned Extension

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Chuck Fletcher Has Built an Organization from nearly Ground Up Earned Extension

Here I provide my take on why Chuck Fletcher's future in Minnesota needs to be secured right now! He has been masterful and I could not have imagined the team being where they are now from where it was in 2009.

http://thehockeywriters.com/minnesot...act-extension/

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Chuck Fletcher Has Built an Organization from nearly Ground Up Earned Extension

When it comes to a GM's level of success, I also don't always look at draft picks as success or failure for the GM as most of those choices come from the scouts and their recommendations. GM's can say they are the hero's for drafting Player A, but realistically they probably only took him based on the recommendations from their scouting department.

I tend to look at trades and FA signings as a better measuring stick for GMs. Thats where their hands are more in the cookie jar then drafting.

He's certainly made some solid, bold moves that have worked out in his favor. He's also recently made a couple he's probably like to do over. Signing goalie Nicklas Backstrom to a 3 year extension wasn't one of his better signings but thats just one that comes to me off the top of my head, and of course just my opinion.

I like Fletcher and think he's done a good job.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Newbie

Default Re: Chuck Fletcher Has Built an Organization from nearly Ground Up Earned Extension

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    When it comes to a GM's level of success, I also don't always look at draft picks as success or failure for the GM as most of those choices come from the scouts and their recommendations. GM's can say they are the hero's for drafting Player A, but realistically they probably only took him based on the recommendations from their scouting department.

I tend to look at trades and FA signings as a better measuring stick for GMs. Thats where their hands are more in the cookie jar then drafting.

He's certainly made some solid, bold moves that have worked out in his favor. He's also recently made a couple he's probably like to do over. Signing goalie Nicklas Backstrom to a 3 year extension wasn't one of his better signings but thats just one that comes to me off the top of my head, and of course just my opinion.

I like Fletcher and think he's done a good job.
    There is a list of mis-steps for sure, the Backstrom signing sure looks to be a panic move after missing out on Jonathan Bernier and Ben Bishop in the offseason via trade. Hard though to predict what to expect out of Josh Harding because MS is such a debilitating illness despite his resilience and crazy strong play when healthy enough to be in the lineup.

Other terrible Fletcher moves including swinging and missing with Nick Leddy trade for Cam Barker, Martin Havlat signing, and Darroll Powe/Mike Rupp/Chuck Kobasew trades.

Still though since Fletcher took over in 2009, the team has gone from almost entirely talent bankrupt at NHL level and in their organizational prospect depth to now where the franchise is positioned to be a contender and back fill with depth never seen during first 10 years + of franchise existence.

Thanks for the feedback!