Thread: Six Rules to Drafting Teenage Baseball Players

I...am your father.

Default Six Rules to Drafting Teenage Baseball Players

Chris Metzger takes a deep look at the best way to draft young prospects.

For some, the kids run the show. Even before they're in the big leagues, people love to talk about the next wave. Forget who's dominating now; we already want to know who is going to be next year's hot rookie. This is the guy (or girl) who has a team full of 'NA' players, waiting for his prospects to all hit their ceilings so he can run away with the league. His 'old' guys are 25, and he is already familiar with the top ten of the draft... for 2015.

On the other side of the spectrum is the one who trades all his draft picks, either to go for the title or because they're too lazy to follow both the major leagues and minor leagues. They have prospects you've never heard of – because they aren't very good, and what limited prospects they do have, they trade each year for a former star at the end of his career.

A successful keeper team does not follow either of these templates; rather, it is buoyed by a healthy combination of both. To maintain dominance, or at the very least competitiveness, a team needs a healthy balance of major league contributors, and a future wave of players ready to step in when players are no longer productive.

With that in mind, here are some things to consider when dealing with prospects:

1.Don't trade a productive MLB player for a prospect with the same upside. This is a mistake a lot of fantasy owners make. They think, “I'm rebuilding, so I need prospects. I might as well trade my #3 starter for a prospect with #3 starter upside.” This is a very flawed way of thinking. Yes, that prospect, if he reaches that potential, will probably line up with the window of contending that you're working towards, but that's the only upside to the deal for you. You are absorbing the entire risk that the player pans out. The absolute best-case scenario is that you break even, and the worst case is that you give up your player for virtually nothing. Because of that risk, you should be compensated, either by getting a prospect with higher upside, or another useful piece. It's like putting money in an investment and having two options: a steady, uniform rate of interest, or a volatile, up and down rate of interest, where you could lose your money, and the maximum return is the same rate you'd get on the first option. You'd be crazy to pick option number two.

2.Focus more on tools, less on ranks. Some lists also give players' tools (hitting, power, defense, arm, speed) a grade out of 80. An 80 ranking means that it is elite. For example, a player like Billy Hamilton (OF-CIN) would have 80 speed; Giancarlo Stanton (OF-MIA) would have 80 power; Yadier Molina (C-STL) would have 80 defense. This can be useful when you don't know much about a prospect, because it gives a lot better picture about what you're getting. If you're looking for more speed to add, the tool grades will lead you to a Hamilton or Delino DeShields (OF-PIT). If you need a slugger for the future, you'll look to a Maikel Franco (3B-PHI) or Miguel Sano (3B-MIN) [Though he just had Tommy John surgery]. Another thing to consider: is the list a fantasy ranking or straight top prospects ranking? If it's a straight ranking, then the writers have taken into account the defense and arm tools, both of which are useless to you, so taking a deeper look can help you get a better idea regarding future fantasy value. Like I've said, Francisco Lindor (SS-CLE) is a very highly rated prospect, but his two best tools are defense and arm, neither of which will help your fantasy team. Without that deeper look, you'd think he should be one of the first picks off the board in your league.

Get the rest here.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Six Rules to Drafting Teenage Baseball Players

Thats awesome stuff there. Thanks for the share!
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Expert

Awesome. As a new player to fantasy baseball this helps a ton!

Dobber Sports Titan

As with Golden, I'm newer into baseball keepers as well. Definitely a great read

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if it's just me or not, but the link at the bottom for "Get the rest" isn't working.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    As with Golden, I'm newer into baseball keepers as well. Definitely a great read

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if it's just me or not, but the link at the bottom for "Get the rest" isn't working.
    This thread is two years old so chances are the link is pooped.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    This thread is two years old so chances are the link is pooped.
    Fair point haha. Didn't actually look at the original date that this was posted.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)