Poll: Best Fantasy Series

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Best Epic Fantasy Series

Dobber Sports Icon

Default Re: Best Epic Fantasy Series

Quote Originally Posted by SixtyPercentOfTheTime View Post
    This series is absolutely fantastic! I'm finishing The Rise of Endymion and I freakin love it.
    I highly recommend picking up Ilium/Olympos if you haven't - just as good. Simmons is my favourite author.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    I highly recommend picking up Ilium/Olympos if you haven't - just as good. Simmons is my favourite author.
    I'll put it on my list! Thank you
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Initiate

King's Dark Tower series is my favourite. I just pretend it was left unfinished, somewhere around the end of Book IV.

Another interesting one, by no means my favourite, but a solid read, is S.M. Stirling's The Change series. It is actually two parallel series. Basically, some strange event occurs on the island of Nantucket, that has two different effects. First, some people from Nantucket, including scientists and military personnel are transported back in time to roughly the time of the Trojan War. Craziness ensues, as a few of them go rogue, ancient empires gain access to modern technology, etc. Therein lies the first series. Secondly, at the time of the event on Nantucket, all technology on Earth ceases to function. The laws of physics that allow electricity, firearms, combustion engines, even steam power to function, suddenly no longer apply. The world dissolves into anarchy...but! All of a sudden all the folks who were hobbyist blacksmiths, traditional farmers, and especially SCA types who own weapons and armour and know how to use them, become extremely relevant and powerful. Various factions form, and societies spring up based on people trying to recreate feudal France, or Highland Scots clans, or Viking settlements, etc. It's pretty intriguing how it all comes together. Not the most memorable characters, hence why I couldn't think of any to add to the favourite characters thread, but the societies themselves, the use of modern knowledge in combination with ancient warfare tactics (cavalry that ride mountain bikes outside of battle rather than marching for example) and the general plotlines are pretty fascinating.

Dobber Sports Ace

The chick who makes Elvish the second language of their Clan was pretty cool... I lost interest after the first couple of books, to be honest. Really cool concept, but the story stopped playing by the original rules by the third-ish book.
    Data Science Intern, Pebble
    COO, Quidditch Post
    Associate Editor, Dobber Sports Network
    Hockey Operations Intern, UBC Thunderbirds

Top 100 Roto
    Dobber Prospects

Ask me your fantasy questions on Twitter: @austeane
    My main league:

H2H Each Cat - Yahoo - 14 teams - Real Cap Hit - 85m cap
    Start: 2C 2LW 2RW 4D 2U 2G 7B daily (21)
    Cats: G A +- PIM SOG PPG PPA SHP GWG FW HIT W
    GAA SV SV% SO
    Edler's Mind Tricks:
    C:, Lehtera, Plekanec, Kuznetsov, Komarov
    LW: Benn, Kreider, Roussel
    RW: Malkin, Yakupov, Nyquist
    D: Subban, Letang, Karlsson, Jones, Dillon, Deslauriers
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Elliott
    JV: Sekac, Petan, Poirier, Vrana, Fleury, Sanheim, Galiev, 5th, 9th, 15th, 18th, 24th overall amateur picks

Dobber Sports Initiate

There is definitely a point where more supernatural elements are introduced, which does change things quite a bit, even if the supernatural influences are generally fairly subtle. The first book is definitely my favourite, but some pretty cool stuff happens later on as well, particularly in the parts that take place a couple of decades later. It is interesting to see how the cultures, which are more of an identity for the first generation to cling to become the ultimate reality for the kids born after the Change.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm just about 100pgs into 2nd Book (Clash of Kings) in A Song of Ice & Fire.
    I have a couple of my own theories about the overall grand story/path/direction of the book.

If it shakes out the way I think it will, it may go down as one of the most tactfully/artfully crafted fiction stories of all-time.
    Do any of you Ice & Fire (GoT) people love it so much that you blog/discuss your theories about it?

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDog View Post
    Unfortunately I haven't read any of those so I can't compare them to The Dark Tower Series by King - but I doubt it would make a difference, its my pick. Add that one if you can
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
    King's Dark Tower series is my favourite.
    Add my vote for The Dark Tower.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I have a couple of my own theories about the overall grand story/path/direction of the book.

If it shakes out the way I think it will, it may go down as one of the most tactfully/artfully crafted fiction stories of all-time.
    Do any of you Ice & Fire (GoT) people love it so much that you blog/discuss your theories about it?
    It's going to be humans vs. the white walkers, and Daenarys will be queen of all. They beat the white walkers thanks to Tyrion's smarts, Jamie and Jon Snow's leadership in battle, and Bran's special powers. And I think Arya will play a role too somehow, as a ninja...or whatever they're making her.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Add my vote for The Dark Tower.
    Can't argue with Dark Tower, but I can say that it's really just an intro to high fantasy. You'll find lots of great stories out there. I always check people's top 10 lists online and the series that gets a lot of mentions I try it out.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    It's going to be humans vs. the white walkers, and Daenarys will be queen of all. They beat the white walkers thanks to Tyrion's smarts, Jamie and Jon Snow's leadership in battle, and Bran's special powers. And I think Arya will play a role too somehow, as a ninja...or whatever they're making her.
    Huh. See I stopped reading the series after book 2 or 3 (can't remember now) because it looked like it was going to end in a fireball of doom and despair, and I couldn't handle it. If it has some sort of epic ending eventually then perhaps I'll have to go back and re-read the series.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post

I geek out with my friends over the series....I've got a couple theories or whatever that I would love to see happen. I'm a big fan of Jon Snow being the son of Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark which would make him in line to take the Iron Throne. They've also talked about the "Dance of the Dragons" quite a bit, which was a civil war in the past between a Targaryen brother and sister for the throne, and how history is circular and repeats itself....Jon and Daenerys would be niece-nephew but maybe some foreshadowing? I don't know, I just really like that theory and it makes so much damn sense for him to be Rhaegar's son.
    20 Team Dynasty (points per) - G (25, 50 for defense) A (25) PIM (3) PPP (15) SHP (25) OTG (15) GWG (25) HTr (50) SOW (75) HIT (1) BLK (2) W (50) SHO (100) OTL (10) GA (-15) SV (2) Use actual NHL salary

Start 12 F, 6 D, 1G weekly

F: Kucherov, Marchand, Barkov, Gaudreau, Laine, Aho, Dubois, Dadonov, Huberdeau, Trocheck, Bertuzzi, Beauvillier, Khaira, Grigorenko

D: Ekman-Larsson, Yandle, Edler, Pulock, Borowiecki, Weegar, Mike Reilly

G: Andersen, Hart

Farm: Boldy, Beckman, Wise, Mascherin, Kovalenko, Manukyan, Walker, Morozov, Shafigullin, Palmu, Tychonic, Zhuravlyov, Kesselring, Zamula, Lankinen, Sogaard, Ingram, Rybar

Dobber Sports Initiate

Yes, but you are forgetting Rickon. Still alive. Completely feral from running wild with Shaggydog for years. He's basically this guy now: The-Feral-Kid.jpg
    The White Walkers retreat, hounded relentlessly by the dragons, and Wun Weg Wun Dar Wun swinging a mighty dragonglass maul. Daenerys begins some long-winded speech about dragons and fire and how a Queen is mother and protector of her realm. Rickon leaps up from behind a hummock and beheads her with his steel boomerang. The remaining Northmen, gathered at the wall for the final battle recognize him and begin an immediate all-out slaughter of everyone who doesn't swear immediate allegiance to the new King in the North.

Dobber Sports Stud

Ice and Fire, hands down. I can't tell you how happy I was when I saw they were making it into a show, and happier still when the show did the book justice.

I've read all four of these series. Enjoyed them all. Malazan was epic - my only issue was the tediousness at times. Unnecessary - sometimes the character background or extensiveness of the description made it very difficult to lumber through. On the other hand, he had some pretty kick ass characters and to this day my favorite character of all time in any book is Karsa Orlong.

The Wheel of Time series was similar in its over-describing, and I actually found to be the best read when Sanderson took over (and by the way - Sanderson's Mistborn series could make your poll). The Wheel of Time's final book is quite possibly the most enjoyable book I've ever read - a beautiful finish to a great series

Sword of Truth was fun, but I don't think compares to the other three.
    There is an understatement if I ever read one.

Sword of truth..........my general advice to friends is to treat Book 1 like the first matrix movie and pretend it is a standalone with no sequels.
    Now granted, books 2 and 3 were not bad, and 4 was passable, but it gets you wanting to see where the story goes and everything after was downhill. Chainfire trilogy was a slight step up after the pillars and Naked empire, but still. Awful. Richard is probably the most Mary Sue character I can ever remember.

The best quote ever about these books
    Most of the time Goodkind is forcing his characters to break some unwritten rule that will have some dire, unpredictable consequences that not even he is sure about, because the next book hasn't been quite fleshed out yet.

The ice trolls are attacking from the mountains! Ok, use napalm and burn their homelands to ash! Maybe not so smart, as now you've melted the ancient tomb of an evil wizard. That's reasonable. Let us find the lost Cup O' Souls and put his spirit to rest. But alas, now you've made Cthulhu thirsty...
    lol. I laughed out loud the entire time I read this thread on SOT.
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthre...428839&page=11
    #1 Yahoo Keep 5, 14 teams
    C, C, RW, LW, F, F, D, D, D, Uti, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN
    G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, FOW~W, L, GAA, Sv%, saves, SO

McDavid C
    , Kadri C, Zibanejad C, Mackinnon C, Boldy LW/RW, Backlund C, Duchene C/RW, Fantilli C, Batherson LW/RW, Forsberg LW, Zegras C IR, Mintyukov D, Dunn D, Seider D, Hellebucyk G, Kochetkov, Bobrovsky G

Dobber Sports Superstar

I'll nominate The Second Apocalypse series by R.Scott Bakker, although I'd put it second to The Song of Ice and Fire.

RETIRED

Dobber Sports Ninja

How could a poll on greatest fantasy series of all time be complete without LOTR?!?

In any event, Song of Ice & Fire takes this one hands down... even though I've never read the other 3 haha