Thread: 1st MMA/WWE post

Dobber Sports Giant

Default 1st MMA/WWE post

I found it was weird that no one had started a thread yet in this section. I know WWE is not as popular as it used to be (I'm from the WWF/WCW generation so this new stuff is just not my thing) but I would think that a community that follows a sports such as hockey would have a couple of members interested in professional wrestling or at least MMA.

I guess since this is the first thread, might as well go ahead and start it off with:

WHO IS YOUR ALL-TIME FAVORITE WRESTLER (from any organisation)?

I have a top 2, with Bret Hart (WWF) and Bill Goldberg (WCW) rounding it out.
    If I had to pick just 1, I would have got to go with Goldberg; the spear, the jackhammer and the ''undefeated streak'' was just pure entertainment for me back when I was in my early teen years.
    Keeper league 14 teams (H2H, 20 active players keep 16 NHLers, 16 minors)
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

C- Crosby, Barzal, Bennett, Schmaltz, Novak
    W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel
    D- Carlson, Rielly, Klingberg
    G- Hellebuyck, Demko, Merzlikins, Vejmelka

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey
    D: Simashev, Willander, Lambos
    G: Schmidt, Rodrigue, DiPietro, Gaudreau, McKay

Dobber Sports Star

Default Re: 1st MMA/WWE post

My favourite is probably Mr. Perfect. He was so technical that I just loved watching his matches. His over-the-top cocky attitude always put a smile on my face. The match between Mr. Perfect and Bret Hart for the Intercontinental Championship at Summerslam in 1991 might be my favourite match of all time. It was a sad day when Curt Hennig died.

Ric Flair has to be up there for me too. The Ric Flair Flop has to be one of the most comical wrestling moves ever.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Icon

I was a huge Bret Hart fan when I was younger. Shawn Michaels would have been up there too. But if I had to go with anyone it would be Rey Mysterio Jr. I'm a relatively short guy myself (5'6) and watching a little fella acheive that kind of success in a world of monsters was inspirational growing up. I stopped following WWE long before he ever won the World Title but I still have to rank him up there
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Superstar

Ha great thread.

I was a huge wrestling fan for a long, long time. My favourites in order would be:
    1. Bret Hart. Loved everything about the "excellence of execution" I actually ordered Wrestlemania 26 even though I hadn't seen a single show in probably 10 years. I still remember the "Montreal Screw Job" and how it was apparent it was not rehearsed.
    2. Shawn Michaels. I loved his cocky attitude and general small stature. Also, if you've never seen the end of Rick Flair's final match vs. HBK it's hilarious and touching how they both blatantly break character.
    3. The Rock. Always loved the attitude. Also loved how he was supposed to be a heel ("People's Champion" was created as a spite of the fans) but the fans made him into a good guy.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports All-Star

Honky Tonk Man, he had the best gimmick of all "Elvis"
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

I...am your father.

1. Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat
    2. The Rock
    3. Stone Cold Steve Austin
    4. Shawn "Heartbreak Kid" Michaels
    5. Junkyard Dog

Not so much into WWE anymore, but I do flip it on for 10 minutes every couple of weeks so I'm fairly caught up, though I still see some guys that I've never heard of.

MMA I'm really getting into over the past couple of years, and watch most pay per views
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Deity

Killer Karl Krupp!

Wait, thats Atlantic Grand Prix Wrestling.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Guru

Different favourites for different eras, and it's hard to compare them. I remember watching Hogan as a kid. While the Rock was better, how can what I watched in my 20s compared to what I watched as a kid and believed it was real?

Anyways, here are my favourites from the different eras:

80s- Hogan, the Rockers, Ravishing Rick Rude, Demolition
    90 pre-attitude era: Undertaker (we used to have a Royal Rumble pool, and one of the predictions was how many zombie sit-ups would the Undertaker do).
    Attitude era: The Rock. Mick Foley. Kurt Angle.
    Now: Don't really have a favourite. Will cheer for a good storyline though (so the Shield vs the Wyatts have been great).

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    we used to have a Royal Rumble pool, and one of the predictions was how many zombie sit-ups would the Undertaker do
    Hahaha, awesome!!
    Scoring Cats: G-A-PTS-PPG-PPA-(+/-)-HITS-BLK-SHP-SOG-FOW-GWG / W-L-SVS-SV%-GAA-SO

W- Forsberg, Batherson, Nichuskin, Tuch, Konecny, Maccelli, Sharangovich, Bertuzzi, Kaliyev, Neighbours, Reichel

Minors:
    F: Fantilli, Cooley, Bourgault, Perreault, Cowan, Ohgren, N. Foote, Goyette, Iskhakov, Denisenko, Tracey

Dobber Sports Pro

I don't follow wrestling that much anymore, but back in the early 90's there were many... Ultimate Warrior, Legion og Doom, The Rockers, Texas Tornado, British Bulldog, Bret and Owen Hart, Jack "the snake" Roberts, Mr.Perfect... and also some funny characters as Hacksaw Jim Dugan, The Bushwhackers.

My room was so much cooler with all those posters, than my daughters with Justin Bie... oh, I can't even...

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    I don't follow wrestling that much anymore, but back in the early 90's there were many... Ultimate Warrior, Legion og Doom, The Rockers, Texas Tornado, British Bulldog, Bret and Owen Hart, Jack "the snake" Roberts, Mr.Perfect... and also some funny characters as Hacksaw Jim Dugan, The Bushwhackers.

My room was so much cooler with all those posters, than my daughters with Justin Bie... oh, I can't even...
    I say you put your foot down and add this nice inspirational and motivating piece over her Bieber poster when she's not looking! Can't let her catch Bieber fever... Nothing like some good ol' HJD to take care of that nasty pest! I'm sure she'll be happy!

OAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Minors:

Dobber Sports Pro

Hahaha... priceless!

So you're saying there's still hope for her?

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by tomastop View Post
    Hahaha... priceless!

So you're saying there's still hope for her?
    Yup; besides, Bieber's star is fading away quickly with every new crap story he's linked to!

Speaking of wrestling and that post-pubescent dimwit; I would not be surprised if he attempts some sort of publicity gig in the WWE anytime soon. I can just see it: Bieber Fever hits the WWE Divas (hopefully, litterally speaking)!!

Minors: