Thread: sens mak a minor deal buh might lead to a big deal

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default sens mak a minor deal buh might lead to a big deal

By Trading forward Peter Schaefer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Shean Donovan is a small deal buh now with that they can resign heatley and spezza if they do dose this mean redden alffy or emery out

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Re:sens mak a minor deal buh might lead to a big deal

jj0786 wrote:
    By Trading forward Peter Schaefer to the Boston Bruins in exchange for Shean Donovan is a small deal buh now with that they can resign heatley and spezza if they do dose this mean redden alffy or emery out
    I thought Spezza and Heatley were signed until the end of 07/08. Emery is an RFA right now and I thought the Schaefer deal was to save room for signing Emery or his arbitration award.

I wouldn\'t expect to see Redden traded until mid-season (if at all) since they\'re getting a little shallow on an offense-from-D standpoint.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Spezza and Heatley are both signed for 07/08; at the end Heatley becomes a UFA and Spezza an RFA. I think the Sens are trying to get Heatley signed to an extension; he\'d be the top free agent next year and would be offered at least $8 million.

Redden has a no-trade clause and has said he won\'t waive it; he\'ll also be a UFA next summer. Alfie\'s signed till 2013, and at a bargain.

This looks to me more like a short-term move to make room for Emery.

Next season, you might find the Ottawa core blown apart with Redden, Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, Meszaros (and Emery if it\'s a 1-year arbitration ruling) all looking for new contracts & raises...
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."
    -Paul Bissonette, "BizNasty2point0", on Twitter, January 30, 2011

Dobber Sports Icon

honduranhockey wrote:
    Next season, you might find the Ottawa core blown apart with Redden, Spezza, Heatley, Fisher, Meszaros (and Emery if it\'s a 1-year arbitration ruling) all looking for new contracts & raises...
    I don\'t think so... I think Spezza and Heatley will be signed to extensions at some point before next years offseason (if ottawa is smart). They should keep Redden too (i have no idea why everyone thinks they are so sour on him), and fisher and meszaros should be able to be kept for fairly reasonable prices.

I don\'t know why they should blow the team up... if they resign everyone before the offseason (as they should), they can get them for much cheaper than if they wait. They should be alright (as long as they are managed properly & these stars aren\'t dead set on leaving town - why would they be?).

Post edited by: lanky522, at: 2007/07/17 13:51
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

oncle

I do agree with youre analysis of the Ottawa sitiuation Lanky.If I was Bryan Murray I would make sure to lock up Spezza and Heatley before the end of the season.Heatley would be demanding a substantiel increase in salary if he would became a FA and as for Spezza the lack of very good#1 Centers in the league ,he could get a extremly lucrative offer sheet.If you look at Oilers willingness to make offer sheets and their lack of a good #1 center he could be one of their targets next year.Has for Redden one bad season does not make a bad career.The trade was purely a salary dump to try to sign their players to long term deals.

Post edited by: oncle, at: 2007/07/17 20:39

Dobber Sports Apprentice

As as Sens fan I\'d love to see the core remain. Perhaps \"blown apart\" is the wrong term - \"priced apart\" might be better. It would be fantastic if Spezza and Heatley were locked in to a long-term contract, and I think Redden will be much better this year.

Will Ottawa be able to afford the huge salaries these guys will (rightfully) command? Not to mention the offer sheets, as Oncle pointed out.

I don\'t want them to become another Tampa Bay with their big three...
    "If the all star game is about showing off ur skills. If I was in the breakaway competition, I'd dump it in and change."

Dobber Sports Icon

Honduranhockey wrote:
    I don\'t want them to become another Tampa Bay with their big three...
    what\'s wrong with TB\'s big three? If they had a goalie they\'d have a shot every year at winning the cup with those guys. They prove that you don\'t NEED two lines to consistantly win games... If they had a goalie that stop pucks with more than his face, they\'d be huge contenders.

I think even if Ottawa eats half of their payroll with heatley, spezza, alffy, redden, and emery, they\'d be fine for years to come (especially since all these guys are so young still).
    12 Team Dynasty League w/ Salary Cap (Updated: 3/23/2011)
    (CBS Sports Commissioner's League)
    Maximum Salary Cap: 70.5 million
    Roster Limit(s):
    Total: 23 + 2 available IR slot
    Active: C, C, C, W, W, W, W, D, D, D, D, G, G
    23 + 1 Man Roster (69.62 million) - 17 Keepers
    - Crosby (IR), Carter, Tavares, Duchene, Anisimov, Desharnais
    - Ovechkin, Giroux, Downie, Hall (LTIR), Tanguay, Samuelsson, Whitney, Justin Williams, Zuccarello
    - Green, Phaneuf, Doughty, Letang, Carlson, Karlsson
    - Price, Halak, Neuvirth, Varlamov
    Scoring Setup: W, L, GA, Saves, SO
    G, A, PIM, PPG, PPA, SHG, SHA, SOG, GWG, HT, FOW

Dobber Sports Stud

Indeed... those three scored almost half the team\'s points in the playoffs, and if their team from this year had faced either of the last two Cup winners instead of this year\'s Anaheim team, I think they could have won it all.
    T.G.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Thieving Giraffe wrote:
    Indeed... those three scored almost half the team\'s points in the playoffs, and if their team from this year had faced either of the last two Cup winners instead of this year\'s Anaheim team, I think they could have won it all.
    But by the end of their series against NJ they were exhausted and ineffective. Richards admitted to this in an interview. And, since those 3 got their big contracts, TB has been bounced in the first round of the playoffs. Give them a stronger supporting cast and they\'re monsters, as they showed when they won the cup.

I\'m not saying they\'re lousy players, I just think they need more support around them. And yes, definitely a good goalie too.