Thread: Post-Olympics and Beyond: Lehtonen, Bobrovsky, or Varlamov?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Post-Olympics and Beyond: Lehtonen, Bobrovsky, or Varlamov?

Who would you rather have: Lehtonen, Bob, or Varly for the home stretch post-Olympics (and since one of them could become a keeper, how about beyond)? My team is currently in 2nd place (see team in sig) and while I don't want to mess up a good thing, trading for someone like Bob could be a total difference maker and both now and beyond if he plays like he did in the Olympics. Is Lehtonen really just a couple good D-man off-season pickups from entering into the top-10 goalie talks? Were Bob's Olympics a sign of a second half surge (and him putting his slow start behind him)? Is Varly the real deal and worth pursuing before his value climbs even higher?

I would likely have to trade Lehtonen to get one of Bob or Varly, but given keeper value and the fact that it's only a keep 7 it could be worth it to have two good goalies locked up long-term. I can't see myself keeping Lehtonen at the end of the year unless Dallas makes a splash with some defensive free agent acquisitions--his stats just aren't that impressive and while he's has some really good stretches this year I question whether he has the ability to be truly elite. Varly has shown flashes of brilliance before and as an Avs fan it would be a lot of fun to root for both my real team goalie and fantasy goalie at the same time-I love what Patrick Roy, Allaire, and Giguere have done with Varly's game and he may be finally blossoming into a legitimate, consistent starting goalie. Bob has such a small sample size but seemed to be rounding into form during January and the Jackets as a whole seemed to be playing much better hockey-plus if his play in the Olympics was any indication he could be lights out for the remainder of the season. Out of the three goalies who would you rather have and why?
    Yahoo 12 team Keep 7 League (keepers in bold)
    Cats: G, A, PPP, SHP, +/-, PIM, SOG, Hits, W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 10F, 4D, 1 Util, 2G, 4 Bench
    F: Malkin , Neal, Parise, Benn, MacKinnon, Pavelski, van Riemsdyk, Tarasenko, Yakupov, Hanzal, Scheifele, Palat, Zuccarello,
    D: Giordano, Seabrook, Gudas, Gologoski, Ehrhoff, Bieksa (IR)
    G: Rask, Lehtonen, Mason

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Post-Olympics and Beyond: Lehtonen, Bobrovsky, or Varlamov?

I prefer Varlamov, as he's really rounded into form this year and I think the Av's will be a force for many years to come. He will be the centre piece of that. Bob takes a close second, but I give the edge to Varly.

That said, I also don't think keeping 2 goalies in a keep 7 is worth it, but maybe I am wrong. In your setup with G, A,Shots, Hits, I don't know how you could possibly not be keeping JVR.

I...am your father.

Default Re: Post-Olympics and Beyond: Lehtonen, Bobrovsky, or Varlamov?

My vote is Bobrovsky, if last season was any indication of what he can do in March and April
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi