Thread: Upside Down Value of Goalies - ADVICE NEEDED

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Upside Down Value of Goalies - ADVICE NEEDED

Hey all, so I've mentioned this before without much commentary and I'm hoping some other people with a bit more expertise and insight can give me some advice on what to do here.

My whole team is listed in signature: but what you need to know is that my current goaltenders are Cory Crawford and Braden Holtby, not a bad duo at all but in the context of my league they may have to be replaced...

Here's what I mean - the stats counted in my league, as listed below are this:
    Goaltenders Stat Category Value
    Games Started (GS) 1
    Wins (W) 3
    Losses (L) -1
    Goals Against (GA) -1
    Saves (SV) .5
    Shutouts (SHO) 3

Saves (SV) is bolded and underlined because, in my opinion, it is THE key stat here, and can negate GA and L for a goalie if they have a TON of saves during a game. It's worth HALF a point...

(HTML code was the only way to get the numbers to line up relatively close...)
    Some examples in my league - here are the current stats of my two goaltenders for the season:
    HTML Code:
                               GS     W     L     GA     SV     SHO     Fan Pts
    Corey Crawford Chi -      3       1     1      9      73       0         32.50
    Braden Holtby Was  -      4       0     3      13     89       0         32.50
    My goaltenders are tied right now in points, but despite 4 more GA and 2 more L and no W, because he made 16 more saves Holtby is at the same number of points.

Now, check out these goaltenders available in FA:

HTML Code:
                                  GS     W     L     GA     SV     SHO     Fan Pts
    Ondrej Pavelec Wpg -         5      2      3     16     153      0         68.50
    Steve Mason Phi -           4      1      3      8      116      0         54.00
    Joey MacDonald Cgy -         4      3      0     12     104      0         53.00
    Semyon Varlamov Col -       3      3      0      3       88      0         53.00
    Ryan Miller Buf -           3      0      3      7      106      0         46.00
    Currently, Pavelec sits as the #1 goalie in my league, teamless, with him + Mason, McDonald and Varlamov all in the top 10.

Crawford and Holtby don't even break the top 25.

I'd really like to know peoples' opinions on this, it's a money league and I gotta have the best goalie tandem available if I'm gonna win this thing this year...
    1-Year/12 Team/H2H/Weekly Yahoo League
    G(3) A(1.5) +/-(1) PIM(0.25) PPP(2) SHP(3) GWG (1) SOG(0.25) FW (0.05) HIT (0.25) BLK (0.50)
    GS(1) W(3) L(-1) GA(-0.5) SV(0.25) SO(5)

C: C. Giroux, A. Matthews
    LW: A. Panarin, T. Hall
    RW: D. Perron, B. Point
    D: D. Doughty, R. Suter, J. Trouba
    Util: H. Zetterberg
    Bench: O. Ekman-Larsson, V. Arvidsson, E. Haula
    IR: N. Zeitsev

G: H. Lundqvist, S. Varlamov
    Bench: M. Jones

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think with your setup, Pavelec is a top 5 option just because he is going to play a lot and get a good amount of shots.

Also, with saves valued at 0.5, six saves is the same as a win. So this brings down Crawford's value as he'll win a lot of games but his team is good defensively so he won't be getting peppered with shots. You almost want the goalies from crappy defensive teams so you can rack up the saves.

As for Holtby, I would love to say he's a good option, but with his play so far this year, I'm beginning to question my projections for him.
    14-Team H2H Limited Keeper League

Rosters: 3C, 5W, 4D, 1U, 2G, 5B, 2IR+, 1NA
    Keep: 4 F, 2 D, 1 G
    Skater Stats: G (3), A (2), +/- (0.3), PIM (0.4), PPP (0.5), SHP (1), GWG (1), SOG (0.3), Hits (0.1), Blks (0.25), FW (0.05)
    Goalie Stats: W (5), SV (0.3), GA (-2), SHO (2)

C: Crosby, Zegras
    W: Pastrnak, Keller

D: Karlsson, Montour
    G:Oettinger
    IR+:
    NA:

The Great One

I'd also drop Holtby for Pavelec in this set up.

Pavelec is in a weak division, the Jets don't have a great back up goalie, he'll get a tons of starts.

Even if he doesn't win, those saves will keep piling up.

This is a really good example of where you have to play close attention to a league set up. Because in many formats, I'd want nothing to do with Pavelec.

But in your league he is gold.

Dobber Sports Sage

Who created those settings? 6 saves equals a shutout?

Definitely pick up Pavs.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post
    LOL...when you put it like that it really does look ridiculous.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Daydream Nation View Post

Definitely pick up Pavs.
    I'm pretty sure this was the handiwork of Dan Cloutier.
    12 team Full Dynasty w cap. 13F, 7D, 2G, 5B.
    G 4.25, A 2.75, PPP 1.5, SHP 3, Hits 0.4, Blocks 0.5, PIM 0.25, DFP 1
    W 5 OTL 1 SO 6 SV 0.25 L-1 GS 1

F:Stamkos, C Stew, R Johansen, B Dubinsky, Max Pac, Umberger, B Ryan, D Backes, T Ruutu, Lucic, Ott, MSL, Heatley, C Kunitz, J Benn, L Adam

D: C Fowler, Kronwall, A Goligoski, JM Liles, M Giordano, K Letang, N Nikitin, R Josi

G: J Quick, A Niemi, C Anderson, Rinne

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Yeah points leagues can really skew player values compared to regular leagues. Another guy on here is in a league where Brouwer and Tavares are both worth the same based on projections. It's extremely important to get a fantasy point projection for each player and pretty much ignore the individual stats, they'll only be distracting. Ideally this is done before the draft, haha.