Thread: Upside Down Value of Goalies - ADVICE NEEDED

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Upside Down Value of Goalies - ADVICE NEEDED

Hey all, so I've mentioned this before without much commentary and I'm hoping some other people with a bit more expertise and insight can give me some advice on what to do here.

My whole team is listed in signature: but what you need to know is that my current goaltenders are Cory Crawford and Braden Holtby, not a bad duo at all but in the context of my league they may have to be replaced...

Here's what I mean - the stats counted in my league, as listed below are this:
    Goaltenders Stat Category Value
    Games Started (GS) 1
    Wins (W) 3
    Losses (L) -1
    Goals Against (GA) -1
    Saves (SV) .5
    Shutouts (SHO) 3

Saves (SV) is bolded and underlined because, in my opinion, it is THE key stat here, and can negate GA and L for a goalie if they have a TON of saves during a game. It's worth HALF a point...

(HTML code was the onyl way to get the numbers to line up relatively close...)
    Some examples in my league - here are the current stats of my two goaltenders for the season:
    HTML Code:
                               GS     W     L     GA     SV     SHO     Fan Pts
    Corey Crawford Chi -      3       1     1      9      73       0         32.50
    Braden Holtby Was  -      4       0     3      13     89       0         32.50
    My goaltenders are tied right now in points, but despite 4 more GA and 2 more L and no W, because he made 16 more saves Holtby is at the same number of points.

Now, check out these goaltenders available in FA:

HTML Code:
                                  GS     W     L     GA     SV     SHO     Fan Pts
    Ondrej Pavelec Wpg -         5      2      3     16     153      0         68.50
    Steve Mason Phi -           4      1      3      8      116      0         54.00
    Joey MacDonald Cgy -         4      3      0     12     104      0         53.00
    Semyon Varlamov Col -       3      3      0      3       88      0         53.00
    Ryan Miller Buf -           3      0      3      7      106      0         46.00
    Currently, Pavelec sits as the #1 goalie in my league, teamless, with him + Mason, McDonald and Varlamov all in the top 10.

Crawford and Holtby don't even break the top 25.

I'd really like to know peoples' opinions on this, it's a money league and I gotta have the best goalie tandem available if I'm gonna win this thing this year...
    1-Year/12 Team/H2H/Weekly Yahoo League
    G(3) A(1.5) +/-(1) PIM(0.25) PPP(2) SHP(3) GWG (1) SOG(0.25) FW (0.05) HIT (0.25) BLK (0.50)
    GS(1) W(3) L(-1) GA(-0.5) SV(0.25) SO(5)

C: C. Giroux, A. Matthews
    LW: A. Panarin, T. Hall
    RW: D. Perron, B. Point
    D: D. Doughty, R. Suter, J. Trouba
    Util: H. Zetterberg
    Bench: O. Ekman-Larsson, V. Arvidsson, E. Haula
    IR: N. Zeitsev

G: H. Lundqvist, S. Varlamov
    Bench: M. Jones

Dobber Sports Wizard

MacDonald and Mason are tough choices, as they are likely to see split starts this year on their teams. Ramo and Emery are no slouches and those teams are set up for the classic 1a/1b scenarios all year.

Varlamov is out of the gate on fire, but doesn't have a ton of Saves (which is the key stat in your league). The Avs will eventually fall back to earth somewhat and his numbers will level out.

Miller will get a ton of saves but will be pressed for wins.

Pavelec intrigues me the most. He is the undisputed #1 and will rack up saves and get a decent number of wins. The Holtby era could be in question if he keeps up his current play, Neuvirth isn't that far behind and actually collects a larger salary.

It's pretty early to make big changes which is likely why Pavelec is still sitting on the wire. Follow your gut, or maybe carry three goalies if your league allows it.

Cheers.