Thread: HUGE TRADE - Please Help

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default HUGE TRADE - Please Help

My 1st Round pick for Edler, Shattenkirk, and Goligoski.

My current defense would be upgraded from Krug, Hamhuis, and Martin.

League categories below.

Dobber Sports Veteran

All three D have the potential to hit 40-50 points. But they also have the potential to stall out at 30. Goli is apparently off the first pp and Edler is sharing pp time with Garrison now. Shatt is still the man along with Pietrangelo in St. Louis but imo this is a very big risk on your part. The good thing is you are only giving up a pick and if you are a shrewd drafter, you don't have to worry about it. I'd say think it over and maybe see if that first will get you a better package.
    Head to Head League: 1 point for G, 1 point for A. 2 for Goalie win, 3 for SO.
    Start 6 guys every week. 3 O, 2 D and 1G. No substitutions once they are in (before the first game starts on Monday).
    Protect 3 players every year in keeper.
    10 rounds of drafting
    F: Crosby, Point, P. Kane, JVR, Kopitar, Rakell, Tarasenko,
    D: Letang, Doughty, Karlsson, Grzelcyk, Faulk,
    G: Bob, Shesterkin, Demko, Kahkonen

Dobber Sports Pro

What type of player would you normally draft with that 1st round pick?

At first glance I'm leaning towards accept. Especially if you are in it to win it.
    Your 4 keepers in your sig seem strong so I'm assuming you're in the top half of your league.
    This trade would certainly see a huge improvement on your D. If you want to win this year, this trade seems well worth it. 3 solid PP1 D
    http://twitter.com/robsintheshed

12 Team - H2H Keeper League - 25 Players - 13 Keepers
    (G, A, P, +/-, Hits, PPP, SOG, W, GAA, SV%)
    Keepers
    C: Tavares, Benn,
    LW: Galchenyuk, Landeskog, .
    RW: Pominville, Little, Oshie, Yakupov
    D: Subban, Vatanen, Fowler
    G: Price, Bishop

Dobber Sports Star

If it helps you win this year then I would do it.

What could you expect to draft with that pick?
    Weekly H2H points only (Year 9 - 2015-16)
    12 teams limited keeper (keep 6 + 1 Rookie)
    13 round draft - Unlimited Trades - No Waivers - No IR
    4 Team Playoffs (last 2 reg. season weeks)
    Rookies are 23 years old or younger in the draft year and never reached 60pts (forward), 40pts (defense), 25 wins (goalie)

Start : C RW LW Utility D D G

C - S.Stamkos, J.Thornton, K.Turris, D.Stepan
    LW - O.Palat, B.Saad, A.Burakovsky
    RW - B.Wheeler, T.Toffoli, C.Atkinson
    D - E.Karlsson, S.Gostisbehere, C.Fowler, A.Ekblad, A.Larsson
    G - C.Hellebuyck, D.Dubnyk, A.Niemi, K.Lehtonen

Dobber Sports Stud

i have a personal rule that i don't trade first round picks. in most leagues, dmen are a dime a dozen, so that would be even more so for a dman.
    at the same time, this year's draft class is one the weakest i can remember. if you really feel like this deal helps you win your league, it might be worth it, but i personally wouldn't do it.

The Wolverine

Just a suggestion, maybe this should be moved to the Keeper Trade section?

Dobber Sports Initiate

This years 1st round draft class consisted of players such as Suter, Crawford, Duchene, Sharp, Ryan, Byfuglien.

You all bring up some good points and thanks for the advice.. My team would be solid with this deal here it is currently below:

C Crosby
    C Grabovski
    RW Kane
    RW Vrbata
    LW Benn
    LW Marchand
    D Voynov
    D Hamhuis
    D Martin
    DD Krug
    BN Pacioretty
    BN Stewart
    BN Ott
    Gagner IR

G Howard
    G Crawford
    BN Halak

Dobber Sports Demi-God

In a keep 4, that 5th player added (first round pick) has significant value towards winning a pool for that year. Once you trade that pick, you are likely conceding your chances at winning next year for an improved shot at winning this year.

IMO, it's a bad idea because it's only the 2nd week of the regular season and your team could have a key injury or two and then you've lost not only THIS year but also a shot at NEXT year.

Also, in a keep 4, you'll likely replace your #4 keeper every year with that 5th round pick, that might emerge (if you draft well) above your #4 guy.

Overall, I'd say no.
    It's just too early in the season to make a judgment on your team's realistic chances for THIS year.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Well put. When should I entertain the idea of trading picks, November? I'm just scared I will fall to far behind with the D-core I got right now..

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    In a keep 4, that 5th player added (first round pick) has significant value towards winning a pool for that year. Once you trade that pick, you are likely conceding your chances at winning next year for an improved shot at winning this year.

IMO, it's a bad idea because it's only the 2nd week of the regular season and your team could have a key injury or two and then you've lost not only THIS year but also a shot at NEXT year.

Also, in a keep 4, you'll likely replace your #4 keeper every year with that 5th round pick, that might emerge (if you draft well) above your #4 guy.

Overall, I'd say no.
    It's just too early in the season to make a judgment on your team's realistic chances for THIS year.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Krug (BOS), Hamhuis (VAN), and Martin (PIT) are some pretty solid players to own right now. The quality of their teams should make them PLUS players and both Krug and Martin will get sufficient PP time in the near future.

That defensive upgrade is NOT significant and you will NOT fall behind a lot if you don't make the upgrade. Passing on this trade is not a move that will kill your hopes.

This is a trade that might jump you up ONE place in the standings over half season, maybe TWO places in the standings over a full season.

In other words, make it now... maybe you'd be in 4th in January.
    Don't make it now... you'll be in 5th in January.

But if you make it now and you're in 7th in January.... and you'll be regretting it.
    Defense doesn't win championships in fantasy hockey: Forwards & Goaltending.

The Great One

I agree with Penguin...it's way too early to commit your first round pick next year. You have no idea if you can compete this year yet...so you could be throwing away your chance to win next year without having a shot this year either.

I'm just not a big fan of going 'all in' in the first week of a season.

Too much can go wrong.

If you are competitive in February...there will be lots of teams who are not that will be willing to make those future-type trades.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Love the analysis Pengwin7. I see your point and thanks! I tried adding some rep but it says I have to spread it around first lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Krug (BOS), Hamhuis (VAN), and Martin (PIT) are some pretty solid players to own right now. The quality of their teams should make them PLUS players and both Krug and Martin will get sufficient PP time in the near future.

That defensive upgrade is NOT significant and you will NOT fall behind a lot if you don't make the upgrade. Passing on this trade is not a move that will kill your hopes.

This is a trade that might jump you up ONE place in the standings over half season, maybe TWO places in the standings over a full season.

In other words, make it now... maybe you'd be in 4th in January.
    Don't make it now... you'll be in 5th in January.

But if you make it now and you're in 7th in January.... and you'll be regretting it.
    Defense doesn't win championships in fantasy hockey: Forwards & Goaltending.